Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Busy streets and shopping malls should be shut

(50 Posts)
silversurf Mon 14-Dec-20 16:51:41

Seeing pictures of Oxford street and similar places, would it not be sensible to shut these. We see people crowded together and not wearing masks. Ridiculous.

EllanVannin Mon 14-Dec-20 16:56:13

No thought for anyone, least of all those who work for the NHS. There are too many of those type of people in this country, all of whom would walk over you if you were on the floor. The " entitled " society !

Ellianne Mon 14-Dec-20 16:57:22

silversurf

Seeing pictures of Oxford street and similar places, would it not be sensible to shut these. We see people crowded together and not wearing masks. Ridiculous.

They pretty much will be from tomorrow evening. Tier 3.

Ellianne Mon 14-Dec-20 16:58:28

London I mean.

AGAA4 Mon 14-Dec-20 17:03:02

It is a pity that people can't behave responsibly. The result is that everyone in that area is in tier 3 soon.

Situpstraight2 Mon 14-Dec-20 17:03:05

Some of the entitled people are on GN and appear to be proud to go out and not wear a mask. I haven’t met one person who is sorry that they won’t wear one, they all seem very proud of the fact that they are flouting the rules!

As there are no repercussions people are able to do as they please.
Maybe effective policing and on the spot fines would be the answer, except that we don’t have enough Police and people would claim that their Civil Rights had been abused.

EllanVannin Mon 14-Dec-20 17:28:31

Catching the virus would wipe the smirk off, Situpstraight.

EllanVannin Mon 14-Dec-20 17:29:54

How many flights have landed at Heathrow this weekend ?
Just a thought.

Situpstraight2 Mon 14-Dec-20 18:40:04

Exactly ellen we should have closed our borders in March too.

vegansrock Mon 14-Dec-20 18:43:32

But Tier 3 means all the shops in Oxford St will still be open , so what’s to stop people going there? Tier 3 just means cafes and pubs won’t be open so it’s those folk who will be out of a job not the shop staff.

farview Mon 14-Dec-20 19:28:54

...its becoming more farcical by the day!....?

BlueSky Mon 14-Dec-20 19:57:54

Situpstraight2
“As there are no repercussions people are able to do as they please.
Maybe effective policing and on the spot fines would be the answer, except that we don’t have enough Police and people would claim that their Civil Rights had been abused.”
Situpstraight agree.

quizqueen Mon 14-Dec-20 20:09:27

I dunno. It sounds like the type of easy peasy harassment style the police prefer to undertake nowadays, rather than real police work like catching criminals.

Retiredwell Mon 14-Dec-20 20:50:02

Situpstraight2

Exactly ellen we should have closed our borders in March too.

There are up to ten thousand heavy goods vehicles crossing from Europe to Britain and vice-versa every day complete with there drivers.

I would be interested in how the UK could close it's bordered to those vehicles and drivers when 40% of this countries fresh chilled and frozen food supplies arrive on those trucks??????

farview Mon 14-Dec-20 21:53:09

Yes ..good point *Retiredwell*..

Situpstraight2 Mon 14-Dec-20 23:08:59

But we didn’t even try it did we? Airports open too.

If we had closed them for 3 weeks we might have saved thousands of lives.

But we didn’t even try.

Callistemon Mon 14-Dec-20 23:11:05

EllanVannin

How many flights have landed at Heathrow this weekend ?
Just a thought.

My pilot nephew has been re-assigned to flying cargo from passengers.

Callistemon Mon 14-Dec-20 23:13:01

Did that make sense?

He has been re-assigned from flying passengers to transporting cargo pro tem.

Lavazza1st Tue 15-Dec-20 00:48:11

By "cargo" do you mean food, Calistemon ?

Retiredwell Tue 15-Dec-20 09:06:01

Situpstraight2

But we didn’t even try it did we? Airports open too.

If we had closed them for 3 weeks we might have saved thousands of lives.

But we didn’t even try.

But had we even tried to close off the channel ports and in that stopping all those trucks and drivers from entering the country, I believe we would all be going very hungry within a short time. ??

Just not possible. ?

Situpstraight2 Tue 15-Dec-20 09:19:42

Too much to hope that we could have survived on home grown and produced food these days.
People died so that we could eat foreign grown salads and olives. Sobering thought.
Our trucks were able to carry food products without a problem as they were an essential business, we surely must produce some food stuffs in quantity?
Plus we could have flown cargo in, just keep the flight crew in proper quarantine or send them straight back to Europe?
Anyway , too late.

Corkie91 Tue 15-Dec-20 09:54:14

Feel safer in restaurants and pubs than in high street shops. Social distancing and hygiene rules are strong here, were as in shops and streets people push into you don't wear masks Does not make sense pubs and restaurants close where all shops are allowed to stay open

Humbertbear Tue 15-Dec-20 09:58:02

I don’t understand why people can crowd into Oxford Street and shopping malls but my friend and I can’t have lunch in the open air outside a local cafe. My friend was recently widowed and meeting up with friends has been a lifeline for her. Now all we can do is walk round the park.

Nanny27 Tue 15-Dec-20 10:22:41

I think the guidelines say that you need to be in close proximity to an infected person for around 15 minutes to pass the virus. Passing people in shopping streets is therefore much less risky than eating a meal with someone.

jaylucy Tue 15-Dec-20 10:28:42

Noticed just the past week or so how , when reporters in a town centre stand there talking and how few people walking past are either not wearing masks, wearing them tucked under their chin or have their nose poking out! Very few people wearing masks at all, where a couple of weeks ago nearly everyone was wearing a mask!
My mask goes on and stays on, wherever I am, until I get back in the car - and I sometimes even keep it on there!