Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Licking the Christmas Card envelopes to close them

(90 Posts)
Situpstraight2 Sat 19-Dec-20 16:09:08

All of my Christmas Cards have been put into envelopes and (presumably) licked to seal the envelopes and then posted to me.

Am I the only one who stuck the flap down with sticky tape?

All cards are sitting unopened for a couple of days,

Licking!! Just what I need a large dollop of Covid spit for Christmas

Yuk......

Charleygirl5 Sat 19-Dec-20 16:14:43

Mine all came with a sealed piece to pull off and I just stuck the card together.

paddyanne Sat 19-Dec-20 16:19:16

I haven't licked an envelope for decades I use a wee sponge bought for the purpose that came with a container for water .

dogsmother Sat 19-Dec-20 16:27:53

Really, what seems to be the problem?

DiscoDancer1975 Sat 19-Dec-20 16:28:56

No, you’re not the only one, I used sellotape as well?

Casdon Sat 19-Dec-20 16:32:59

Same Charleygirl15, mine were pre-glued, the same as stamps are these days. I think that second class cards are taking longer than 72 hours to get to us at the moment so wouldn’t be likely to transmit Covid, but I always use a letter opener anyway, so wouldn’t be touching the licked bit.

EllanVannin Sat 19-Dec-20 16:35:26

I just tuck the flap inside, for first and second class----not that the classes make much difference with the backlog.

Floriel Sat 19-Dec-20 16:35:52

Unless I’ve included something like money I rarely seal card envelopes, I just tuck them in. They seem to arrive OK and I hate licking stamps and envelopes - especially now.

Callistemon Sat 19-Dec-20 17:05:15

paddyanne

I haven't licked an envelope for decades I use a wee sponge bought for the purpose that came with a container for water .

I used some folded Jeyecloth in a little pot of water. I'll look out for one of those, paddyanne.

Envelope gum tastes horrible.

Situpstraight2 Sat 19-Dec-20 17:15:28

So, have you all received pre glued envelopes this year then?

Because none of mine have been, all appear to have been slurped over!

I hope I’m wrong and that people are aware these days.

Mine kept popping out of the flap so I used tape.

(But I do use a letter opener.)

Teacheranne Sat 19-Dec-20 17:24:43

I just wash my hands after opening the post.

Chewbacca Sat 19-Dec-20 17:29:15

I think every card that I've received this year has had the envelope flap just tucked in. I can't imagine anyone in their right mind would be licking anything at the moment.

WOODMOUSE49 Sat 19-Dec-20 17:31:03

Letter opener then envelope on the fire.

Situpstraight2 - you're not going to eat or lick the envelope are you? If you're sill worried, wash your hands after opening envelopes.

Lexisgranny Sat 19-Dec-20 17:32:49

Sellotape for us.

Situpstraight2 Sat 19-Dec-20 17:40:57

Woodmouse I was just surprised that people are still licking the envelopes, not that I was unable to cope with receiving them!

I would have thought that after 9 months old habits might have changed.

grannypiper Sat 19-Dec-20 17:48:02

A neighbour of mine has been really strict on the 2m rule, masks and isolating since March was most put out when she asked if i liked the card she had left for me in my porch ( she crochet's cards)and i said i hadn't yet opened it because she had licked the envelope.

Sparklefizz Sat 19-Dec-20 17:50:57

2nd class post is taking 6 days here, but as the post office staff will have handled the envelope, I open them all, dispose of the envelopes in the recycling and then thoroughly wash my hands.

I used water from the tap to seal mine before posting off.

M0nica Sat 19-Dec-20 18:02:28

Why use sellotape when almost without exception all envelopes come with a strip of paper you can remove to reveal a selfstick strip.

All the evidence is that the danger of getting COVID from enevelopes or packaaging is vanishingly small. You are more likely to bang your head on a cupboard door, as I did 2 days ago.

All my post gets touched and opened the moment it come through the letterbox and all my shopping gets handled and put away.

However right from the start of COVID I have worn a mask and disposable gloves when shopping and it amazes me that so many people who are so fussy about little things will go out and touch things in shops, including door knobs etc with bare hands - and I slaver hand sanitiser all over the gloves as well, whenever I can.

Tangerine Sat 19-Dec-20 20:30:53

I have to admit I licked the envelopes but I quite understand that people may wish to leave my cards for a while before they open them.

I also have to admit that I open the cards as soon as they arrive on the mat.

Sometimes I go into an office and, when there, I have to open whatever post comes in. It is not left for days on end.

I accept that there is probably a small risk.

MamaCaz Sat 19-Dec-20 20:38:11

I didn't lick my envelopes - I wet my finger under the tap to dampen the glue.
But I only sent a very small number, and would have had to find a quicker/easier way to do it if I had been sending a lot!

MamaCaz Sat 19-Dec-20 20:41:14

Monica, this year I have used cards / envelopes out of several separate packs that I have had for a year or two, and every one of them had to be moistened to stick down.

BlueBelle Sat 19-Dec-20 20:41:50

Oh for goodness sake this hygiene thing is getting out of control
Do you always write your cards by the kitchen sink then mama ?
OCD will have a hay day with this virus

Cabbie21 Sat 19-Dec-20 20:45:01

I don’t get this.
All my cards were bought last year so the envelopes weren’t contaminated. I do not have the virus. In any case, by the time they arrive through the post, any possible contamination of the licked bit will have died off.
Of course, if it is the taste of the glue that is to be avoided, then moistening with other methods is a good idea.

Just open with a letter opener then wash your hands.

MamaCaz Sat 19-Dec-20 20:51:06

I always write them at my kitchen sink, which is only two feet away from the sink, BlueBell.

I knew from comments already made on Gramsnet that some people were concerned at the thought of receiving mail that had been licked, so decided not to do it.
It was no effort, and seemed like the considerate thing to do this year.

And once I had actually given it some thought, licking envelopes just felt wrong, virus or no virus. I won't be doing it again in the future.

Callistemon Sat 19-Dec-20 21:27:36

WOODMOUSE49

Letter opener then envelope on the fire.

Situpstraight2 - you're not going to eat or lick the envelope are you? If you're sill worried, wash your hands after opening envelopes.

I usually eat the envelopes but decided to recycle them this year.