Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Still mixing?

(170 Posts)
Daisymae Wed 23-Dec-20 20:17:13

Despite all the news over the last couple of days I wondered if anyone was actually planning on carrying on with plans to see family, even if it is within your current restrictions?

timetogo2016 Thu 24-Dec-20 09:56:24

Just me dh and daughter as it has been since March and we have no plans to change it.
What a miserable christmas this will be.

Kamiso Thu 24-Dec-20 10:08:05

Amazing just how dim some people can be - probably the most vocal critics of every measure taken. I read that number plate recognition is going to be used so I hope they have a good reason/lie ready to excuse their journey.

Rosalyn69 Thu 24-Dec-20 10:15:19

We will see our son and DIL as planned for lunch. They live next door. We are tier 4.

cossybabe Thu 24-Dec-20 10:20:31

No, not seeing any of our 3 AC and their families - I have left their presents in the front porch and they will come round and pick them up - hopefully, they will leave something for us?

grannytotwins Thu 24-Dec-20 10:21:07

My family live nearby and have all had Covid this month. They are now all clear. I don’t think it’s a risk.

Paperbackwriter Thu 24-Dec-20 10:33:59

Our plans for being in Cornwall with family were abandoned so it's just the two of us. There'll be lovely food and I've a climbing rose that needs pruning - feel quite happy about that but will probably cry a bit when we zoom with the daughters & co.

4allweknow Thu 24-Dec-20 10:35:31

Going to DS, DiL and GD. Have a very large kitchen diner with a snug area (whole area bigger than the downstairs in my house) so will be restricted to that area with patio doors open for the recommended ventilation. Will be there for about 4 hours in total. Hour journey each way.

grandtanteJE65 Thu 24-Dec-20 10:35:44

We had expected to be alone this year anyhow, so no plans to adjust.

Our son comes every second year as his partner has family too, and this was always going to be the year they visit her family. That's not happening, but as they are at the opposite end of the country to us, they weren't considering travelling anyhow.

ClaraB Thu 24-Dec-20 10:39:13

We will be home alone, our daughter has set up a Zoom feed to their lounge for the whole day so that we can open our presents together and see our grand daughters, she has also sent us bingo cards so that we can play a game together plus is laying on a quiz. We will all sit down to eat at 4 pm. My 85 year old MIL has managed to download the Zoom app to her I-pad and is included in the day's festivities, our Son will also be popping in and out online. It will be different but we will make the use of modern technology.

Willow500 Thu 24-Dec-20 10:43:43

No just us two and the two cats. One son and family live in NZ and were here last year. The other is 3.5 hours away and now in tier 4. Their daughter and her partner are both recovering from Covid so they won't be able to see them either which is very sad as I know they are upset. We've recently moved and have friends and relatives here but they're all also keeping to their own houses which is the most sensible thing to do. We all need to think of everyone else and keep apart until this is under control again!

Lyndie Thu 24-Dec-20 10:44:08

No. Usually I have all the family here but 2 of my children are in Tier 4 and 2 in Tier 3. First time ever we won’t be with family on Christmas Day. ?

Topcat7 Thu 24-Dec-20 10:45:40

My OH and myself will be spending Christmas Day on our own but with video calls set up with the family on the day. Not what any of us wanted but we gave to be sensible.

Sashabel Thu 24-Dec-20 10:46:30

Daisymae - I this right? You are not seeing your family on Xmas day when we are allowed to (carefully) see them, but you are travelling from a Tier 2 area into a Tier 4 area to see them on Boxing Day. Surely, this is not allowed?

HurdyGurdy Thu 24-Dec-20 10:50:51

We are in Tier 4. One son lives at home with us, so obviously will be seeing him. My daughter and granddaughter will be here for Christmas Day (we are their childcare/support bubble, so I think that's allowed?) until my granddaughter goes to her dad's on Christmas Day afternoon.

My youngest son lives and works in London and made the decision not to come, but in any event, the app has told him to isolate for five days, so wouldn't have been able to come in any event.

Whiff Thu 24-Dec-20 10:51:39

I am in a bubble with my daughter and family. They are coming here tomorrow. We have all had Covid test and all negative. We live 10mins by car away. My son in law has been working from home since March. None of use have taken any risks. His parents are bubbled with his sister and family. And only seen them outside at a distance. To swap presents. An unfortunate fact of life is Covid will be with us from now on like flu. Just hope everyone who can have the vaccine has it. But there will be those idiots who have been demonstrating who won't. They do not care, but they would soon be demanding treatment if they caught it. Some people think they are bullet proof.

I live in Merseyside where there is mass testing of people with and without symptoms. Thankfully people have had the test done and a large number have been found to have it but had no symptoms. And yet on another thread I got accused of wasting resources and yet we have been encouraged to get tested. Dammed if you do d

Whiff Thu 24-Dec-20 10:52:04

Dammed if you don't.

Juicylucy Thu 24-Dec-20 10:53:37

I’m not judging, but the reason Christmas has been cancelled is because people didn’t adhere to the first lot of tiers, yet folk are still considering driving/ visiting family in other tiers. I think it’s selfish why can’t they just forego this one Christmas so we can all have a great one next year. It’s not rocket science, or is it.

Teacheranne Thu 24-Dec-20 10:56:24

Kamiso

Amazing just how dim some people can be - probably the most vocal critics of every measure taken. I read that number plate recognition is going to be used so I hope they have a good reason/lie ready to excuse their journey.

But it’s not illegal to have get together on Christmas Day other than in Tier Four - and even there support bubbles can still meet. Why would I need to lie about my very short journey to get to my sisters house?

Keke Thu 24-Dec-20 10:59:36

sadly the get together planned is now off, and to make it worse my youngest son and his wife have corona virus.
Am determined to make it the best I can none the less

What are others doing to make it the best it can be?

Gwenisgreat1 Thu 24-Dec-20 11:00:26

DD1 loves to host Christmas, but her suggestion I thought pretty good. DH and I sitting in our own home will watch the GC open there presents on facetime. Then someone will drive over with our Christmas dinner plated up, Yum! Early eavening I shall video call my two sisters, one who was widowed late 2019!! That could be the "New Family" Xmas!!

jomo Thu 24-Dec-20 11:03:07

Visting Xmas day DD who is a nurse SIL and GD grown up .we not go out much so apart from odd cost to local shop we not mix . Can't vist d's family as not allowed boxing day vist which was planed unless
We drive and wave from front garden .

bytheway Thu 24-Dec-20 11:03:10

We are in tier 3 so can see family on Xmas day but we are only seeing my adult son, who is working from home and has isolated for the past 10 days in order that he can spend the day with us. Our other children are either staying in their own homes or, in the case of my step daughter, spending it with her mother.

SueEH Thu 24-Dec-20 11:04:30

Sadly not even if we could. I’m in quarantine until 31/12

Ellianne Thu 24-Dec-20 11:05:19

I think the having to lie or make excuses has occurred because other people are so judgmental or don't understand. Christmas Day is not illegal with 3 households, except tier 4.

Bbbface Thu 24-Dec-20 11:05:27

Yes
Single Brother coming over
We are both in tier 4 but different areas