Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Still mixing?

(170 Posts)
Daisymae Wed 23-Dec-20 20:17:13

Despite all the news over the last couple of days I wondered if anyone was actually planning on carrying on with plans to see family, even if it is within your current restrictions?

Aepgirl Thu 24-Dec-20 11:06:34

My daughter, son-in-law, and young grandson, and myself are one support bubble, so we will be together for Christmas Day. We sit apart, and have windows open.

Polly4t42 Thu 24-Dec-20 11:06:48

We are still having our son daughter in law and grandchildren aged 1 and 3 on Christmas Day. We childminder the grandchildren twice a week so would normally see them on a Friday. We are in tier 2 and at the moment will stay there and have not mixed with anyone else. Feel so sad for others who cannot share on this special day.

Theoddbird Thu 24-Dec-20 11:08:31

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This one day might mean that dear ones won't be with you next year. It annoys me when I hear about families meeting up. Bubbles are silly...most in them have had contact with others. My granddaughter aged 8 had to isolate because someone in her class had covid. All those contacts in a bubble. Rant over... I will spend a peaceful day at home and have a wonderful dinner with a chilled class of something with bubbles in.

GrammarGrandma Thu 24-Dec-20 11:09:55

We are going for coffee and present-opening with oldest daughter and her partner tomorrow morning. It was intended to be "after church" but our church service has been cancelled! We are both in Tier 2 - Tier 4 from Boxing Day. Had a Facetime call from youngest daughter and family from a marina in Singapore this morning (they live on a boat). We'll have a zoom call with middle daughter tomorrow afternoon. and also with husband's sister and her husband. And we'll have a good time. Happy Christmas everyone!

arosebyanyothername Thu 24-Dec-20 11:10:09

We decided as a family not to mix this year.
Our DD & partner are NHS workers in London.
DS & DIL both work and have had to isolate at different times due to track & trace. Their 2 children have both been in and out of school recently with schoolmates & teachers testing positive.
We’ll make the best of it tomorrow and hope to be able to do Christmas some time next year ?

Foxyferret Thu 24-Dec-20 11:11:26

Just me, the other half and four Labradors. We are in tier 4 so no mixing at all. The majority of my grandchildren are in Texas so we are will just FaceTime.

Panda25 Thu 24-Dec-20 11:16:09

We were meant to be seeing son and daughter today but now only allowed to travel on Christmas Day so we shall be just hubby and I and Skype calls

ReadyMeals Thu 24-Dec-20 11:20:34

We did the present-opening video meet with young grandson this morning, as I am afraid so many people will be trying to do it tomorrow that the connections may be poor.

Happysexagenarian Thu 24-Dec-20 11:26:03

No, and weren't planning to anyway. We've just moved up to tier 3 and most of our family are in tier 4. At this rate we may not see them till next Easter. It's just the way things are right now. I'm playing carols to try to get in the festive spirit but it doesn't really feel like Christmas Eve.

Firecracker123 Thu 24-Dec-20 11:26:53

We are spending Christmas with our daughter and son and their families (our grandchildren) looking forward to it. They all live just a short drive away.

Yiayia4 Thu 24-Dec-20 11:32:31

No we are on our own!
Two of our sons are local but tier4 here
It is what it is better times to come.

georgia101 Thu 24-Dec-20 11:36:00

We are staying at home with our son that lives here with us. No visits at all, even though everyone usually comes here Christmas Eve as it's my husband's birthday so we celebrate a day earlier than most. Everyone would prefer to be together but we are all looking after each other as best we can, and that means we have to look forward to meeting again some time in the future. Merry Christmas everyone and treat yourselves to something nice.

leeds22 Thu 24-Dec-20 11:42:43

DH, shielding friend and me. Planned this way for several months. But the rave sounds good.

Kim19 Thu 24-Dec-20 11:43:10

Unless anything untoward happens between now and tomorrow, I will be having my usual Christmas with son and family. Bring it on!

readalot Thu 24-Dec-20 11:45:02

Me and my hubby will be on our own as usual

Unigran4 Thu 24-Dec-20 11:46:21

DD1 and family have just come round to leave presents and take mine back with them. They treated me to a Carol singing event beforehand from the end of the garden path. Neighbours loved it!

JenniferEccles Thu 24-Dec-20 11:46:55

Unfortunately we won’t be seeing the whole family but we are going to be with our daughter and family as we are in a childcare bubble with them.

It is what it is this year, but once the vaccine programme speeds up next year will look quite different?

Macgran43 Thu 24-Dec-20 11:55:06

I am allowed a half hour visit to my husband who is in hospital.I have not seen him for six weeks. Then I’m going to my daughter’s house for dinner.

allsortsofbags Thu 24-Dec-20 11:58:43

We aren't changing our plans much but then they weren't extensive in any event.

We had planned to see DD1 and DGD over the 4 days but that's been cancelled.

We are bubbled with DD2 who has been working from home so as safe as anyone can be.

She is still coming to us for Christmas Day, just the 3 of us. Makes a change as DD2 has always used the Christmas break to travel.

We are all in Tier 3 and she lives with-in walking distance so no travel as such.

We will now Face Time or Zoom DD1 SiL or DGD at some point, it's sad not to be seeing them but better to be safe.

Hope everyone manages the day OK, it's difficult time for many people and in some ways I think a lot of people will be glad when Christmas is over.

Take Care all

25Avalon Thu 24-Dec-20 12:00:19

Each must make up their own minds but remember the virus doesn’t follow rules or tiers ( maybe that should be spelt tears).

Dr. Pankhania the Exeter University Professor of virology from Bath is advising people not to meet at all. He says it takes 20 minutes for the virus to spread so spending hours indoors in someone’s company is not good. How many people are going to follow this though? Not many I don’t suppose. If the science was fully followed the government should be cancelling Christmas but people have to assess the risks and make up their own minds. Statistically many will get away with it but some won’t.

SillyNanny321 Thu 24-Dec-20 12:00:56

I will see my DS, DDiL & DGC for dinner then a walk then tea then home. Only doing this as we are in a Support Bubble because I am disabled & have to see them often. Hopefully because they are careful at work & children off school now & I only go out for Health appts we may still keep dodging the virus. I hope all GNers have as good a Christmas as possible & that we all stay safe!

Alioop Thu 24-Dec-20 12:07:56

Just with sis & our 2 dogs Xmas Day, just for the afternoon & alone on Boxing Day. Isn't bothering me in the slightest as I live by myself and so used to it now. Vicar of Dibley box set on Boxing Day in my PJs, happy enough.

dirgni Thu 24-Dec-20 12:13:24

No, unfortunately we are not seeing the family over Christmas!
However they are going to deliver Christmas dinner and we will all eat together on FaceTime!
Please don’t take risks when there is a vaccine ready for us.

Jillybird Thu 24-Dec-20 12:32:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

newnanny Thu 24-Dec-20 12:44:03

We will spend Xmas day with 2 adult sons who live at home and foster child. We will do Teams call with dd and dgs's to watch them open their presents. I drove 140 miles one day last week to meet up at NT garden to watch them ride their bikes around garden paths in the rain for 2 1/2 hours, handed over gifts them drove home. Dd and I kept masks on throughout even though in open air. I won't be breaking the rules. Almost 40,000 new cases now each day and death toll over 700 a day is no time to take stupid risks with the vacvine just around the corner. My in-laws have begge UST go to see them but DH is ECV and we won't go until DH and in-laws have had vaccine.