Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Vaccine groups

(142 Posts)
Sarnia Thu 24-Dec-20 11:26:49

It's just a thought but I wonder if the groups for receiving the vaccine ought to be different. After NHS and care home workers perhaps those in the 20-65 age bracket should be next. This group will largely be the ones in work and this country is in desperate need of getting the economy back on track. There are dire consequences ahead if that doesn't happen quite soon.

M0nica Wed 30-Dec-20 22:37:35

i wonder how much she knew about what was in any other medications she took; paracetamol, for example, or cough medicine or simple indigestion remedies?

I must confess I do not.

Greeneyedgirl Thu 31-Dec-20 10:52:55

Too true MOnica.

It always amazes me that people will happily take unregulated treatments and alternative medicines, which have no published evidence base, safety data or controlled trials, but will be suspicious of conventional medicine which has undergone all of the above. They are often the vaccine refuseniks.

Galaxy Thu 31-Dec-20 10:58:36

That's interesting I am just watching an old friend being sucked into the anti vaccine brigade on Facebook and there is lots of talk of boosting the immune system instead via alternative treatments.

Nannan2 Thu 31-Dec-20 11:12:42

Luca- Growstuff is ALWAYS Squabbling she(?) cant let others have their own opinion! And im sick of reading her(?) say "children cant be vaccinated as theres been no trials" as well! So what then? Are they going to just deny the children a life saving vaccine just because they've not 'trialled' it? How do they EVER give them all the OTHER vaccines they give them then??I keep asking this, but Growstuff has not told me....?

Sassieannie Thu 31-Dec-20 11:16:45

The Pfizer vaccine is complex to administer, so that is probably why the roll out has been slow re care homes. It only has a shelf life of three and a half days and 5 jabs have to be extracted from one phial. It's a logistical nightmare. At the GP surgery where I work in admin, we had to book in hundreds of over eighties over a three day period, the second jab is in a week's time. The Astra zeneca vaccine will be far more straightforward.

But yes,those most likely to die from Coronavirus should be vaccinated first, it's a no brainer.

growstuff Thu 31-Dec-20 11:17:21

What do you want to know?

growstuff Thu 31-Dec-20 11:21:37

Nannan2 Children can have other vaccines because there have at some stage been trials. The Pfizer vaccine (and I think the AZ one too) has not been trialled on children and has not been licensed for use with them. Why are you sick of the truth?

It wasn't trialled on children because it wasn't considered that they are a priority. There's no reason why the vaccines can't be future trials involving children.

growstuff Thu 31-Dec-20 11:22:37

I'm very happy for others to have an opinion if it's backed up by facts.

Nannan2 Thu 31-Dec-20 11:24:16

And if the other variants they have found can be spread more by kids then why shouldnt we give them a vaccine? And teachers/tutors? They keep sending them all into education establishments (schools, colleges, universities) just like the front liners so they should be protected! They could at least vaccinate teachers/tutors and students/pupils 16& upwards who are after all not considered as 'children' in the medical world as they move them to adult services at 16! It might at least cut some of the danger! ? And no, we dont know if jab stops us passing it on- but if there more people are vaccinated the less there are to catch it! So if they've not caught it theres nothing to pass on!

Galaxy Thu 31-Dec-20 11:27:10

Growstuff is saying the vaccine hasnt been licensed for children. Getting annoyed at that is like being annoyed at me saying Paris is the capital of France.

moggie57 Thu 31-Dec-20 11:27:34

should be 50-65 years with underlying health issues .i have been warned seeing i am allergic to penicillin i might have side effects.not sure i want it anyway. too many chemicals in my body already.

MissAdventure Thu 31-Dec-20 11:29:17

What about care home residents?
Are they no longer the priority?

Parsley3 Thu 31-Dec-20 11:37:04

I agree with the OP about vaccinating those in the community as that is where the virus is spreading. Care home residents are not out and about, people bring the virus to them. Teachers and older pupils should be high on the list too if schools are to stay open.

Nannan2 Thu 31-Dec-20 11:39:15

The FACT is- they are sending these children/young adults and teachers/tutors in every day- just like the keyworkers/frontliners and yet DENYING them the vaccine- so using them as cannon- fodder and using teachers as babysitters- these are the facts Growstuff! And some of these people-teachers and the pupils- are clinically extremely vulnerable or extremely vulnerable as well- due to underlying health issues! Also a fact- if you're 'only' classed as 'extremely vulnerable' (not clinically) you must go school/college/uni and yet staff are allowed to 'work from home'- the Gov't is Not saving ALL the most vulnerable first- just the OLDEST most vulnerable! And im not saying they shouldnt- im saying they should save the younger vulnerable as well!! And yes Growstuff we ARE allowed OPINIONS regardless of wether it also has a FACT behind it!!?

Casdon Thu 31-Dec-20 11:41:27

Care home residents are sitting ducks if they aren’t vaccinated, so many more thousands will die if they aren’t prioritised - which of course they will be because the scientists have already decided that’s the best way to save the most lives. I think people will be shocked when they find out how many people have died in care homes by the end of this, although not everybody seems to care

Nannan2 Thu 31-Dec-20 11:44:32

I agree with Parsley3- the visitors- or the staff, coming in take the virus in- they should do the staff- AND the wider community- and close care homes to visitors again till everyone coming in is vaccinated- same with hospitals wards-do staff and wider community- keep visitors out till vaccines are completed.

MissAdventure Thu 31-Dec-20 11:45:25

I'm now reading that there is a problem with the 12 week gap between the first and second dose being different than was trialled?

Galaxy Thu 31-Dec-20 11:45:51

I am working in schools nannan, putting things in capitals isnt helping me. The vaccine hasnt been licensed for children. This isnt a controversial opinion it's just what it is.

growstuff Thu 31-Dec-20 11:50:37

The guidance was updated yesterday:

assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/948338/jcvi-advice-on-priority-groups-for-covid-19-vaccination-30-dec-2020.pdf

I know all that Nannan, but the vaccine isn't licensed for children. Even if it were, it has not been established whether it would stop children from infecting others, who need greater protection. That's not an opinion. It's a fact (two facts).

Nannan2 Thu 31-Dec-20 11:51:10

They need to hurry up and get it licenced for ALL then dont they??And the vaccine should be made compulory- so long as its safe to do so- all this pussyfooting around and oh i dont know if i want it! Dont these folk want to be safe then?Just relying on everyone else having it to then make you safe is not good enough- medically nor morally!

Nannan2 Thu 31-Dec-20 11:53:14

Again Growstuff- we dont NEED facts for us to have OUR OWN OPINION!

growstuff Thu 31-Dec-20 11:54:35

I also realise that those in the "at risk" group have not been ordered to stay at home. I've written in the past that I'm extremely grateful that I no longer work in schools because I would be one of the people "at risk" and I'd probably have to hand in my notice because I wouldn't take the risk.

growstuff Thu 31-Dec-20 11:55:37

Nannan2

Again Growstuff- we dont NEED facts for us to have OUR OWN OPINION!

Errmm ... It always helps to have facts to hold an informed opinion.

growstuff Thu 31-Dec-20 11:57:16

Until it's established whether the vaccine does stop people from infecting others, even relying on others to have it won't offer people protection.

Ellianne Thu 31-Dec-20 11:58:27

And yes Growstuff we ARE allowed OPINIONS regardless of whether it also has a FACT behind it!! ?
I agree, this shouldn't be allowed to become yet another discussion about pure facts, everyone is allowed an opinion. I do have sympathy with you Nannan2 because on page 3 I wanted to express how my feelings towards the vaccine order might have been shaped by my personal experiences but was well and truly told page 4 to go and do my homework.
Some posters, myself included, start with our emotions. We can be persuaded to change our thoughts but not driven to do so. I bow to superior knowledge and sometimes I stand corrected if things are explained without insulting me. We are all different by nature, I applaud that.