(257 Posts)
rosie1959 Wed 30-Dec-20 07:02:58

Some good news for a change

Whitewavemark2 Wed 30-Dec-20 07:04:23

That’s the one we will all be getting.

tanith Wed 30-Dec-20 07:07:11

Excellent news

YorkLady Wed 30-Dec-20 07:20:05

Great news. Place me in the queue please.
What an amazing achievement and we must give thanks to all the volunteers who took part.

GardenerGran Wed 30-Dec-20 07:36:33

Was feeling quite down but that’s wonderful news. Praise be to all those involved.

BlueBelle Wed 30-Dec-20 07:47:50

Now for a variety of reasons I m happier with this vaccine and will be happy to accept it
I think the fact that this one can be taken to the patients without the freezing problems is a huge plus
It’s cheap the price of a cup of coffee
It appears to be able to be made quickly in vast amounts
It’s made not for profit which greatly appeals to me because it gives me the feeling that with the big business side of it out of the equation there’s no underlying reason to push it

Feeling a bit more hopeful although I don’t know what day of the week it is at the moment

EllanVannin Wed 30-Dec-20 07:49:02

I somehow prefer this one and hope my surgery has a stock of it at the end of January, being as I'd been hesitant when called at the beginning of this month.

Katyj Wed 30-Dec-20 07:49:31

Fab brought tears to my eyes this morning ?

Ellianne Wed 30-Dec-20 08:18:08

Excellent news at the end of a horrible year. 2021 will be brighter and better.

Viridian Wed 30-Dec-20 08:24:05

An amazing achievement!

NannyJan53 Wed 30-Dec-20 08:24:40

Fantastic news! Hopefully we are at the beginning of some normality in our lives.

JenniferEccles Wed 30-Dec-20 08:59:25

What wonderful news to wake up to!
I see they will be concentrating on giving the first dose to the maximum number of people and delaying slightly the second one.

I have never minded which one I have but the Oxford one has always seemed the most likely for the majority of us.

What a wonderful start to 2021 isn’t it ? Hats off to all those involved in the massive task of developing it.

MissChateline Wed 30-Dec-20 09:06:13

I may be somewhat cynical but I think it’s interesting that the news was announced on the same day that many more of us are about to be plunged into further lockdown hell.

BlueBelle Wed 30-Dec-20 09:09:36

I m usually the cynical one but this was said to be announced for January some time ago now

MissChateline Wed 30-Dec-20 09:11:45

Indeed it was ....but on the same day! The message being.....be goo and behave yourselves now and you may get a shot in the arm at some point later this year. I don’t think it’s a coincidence at all.

MissChateline Wed 30-Dec-20 09:12:05

Goo = good !

Galaxy Wed 30-Dec-20 09:12:33

I agree Miss Chateliane. Its good news but I suspect the timing is manipulative.

Harris27 Wed 30-Dec-20 09:15:28

Good news and it’s what we need right now.

Gwyneth Wed 30-Dec-20 09:16:18

MissChateline I think you are being overly cynical. Let’s rejoice in the good news that the vaccine has been approved. Does it really matter what day it was announced? This vaccine is going to save lives and we should all be thankful. Now is not the time for cynicism.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 30-Dec-20 09:19:27

Another international triumph.

Mamardoit Wed 30-Dec-20 09:29:22

MissChateline

I may be somewhat cynical but I think it’s interesting that the news was announced on the same day that many more of us are about to be plunged into further lockdown hell.

Would you have felt better if they had announced about the Oxford vaccine tomorrow?

If we are plunged into lockdown hell. It won't be the hell some other countries have been plunged into. No night time curfew (NI ?), no shopping at your nearest food store only, etc..

Too many people adjusting the rules to suit their own 'wants' is the cause of a stricter lock down. If tighter lockdown is needed to help my frontline NHS family bring it on.

Ailidh Wed 30-Dec-20 09:36:56

Excellent news. I'm hoping that by the time vaccination gets to me in Group 5, this will be the one. It's going to be much easier for GP practices to distribute and I'm hoping pharmacies too.

Sparklefizz Wed 30-Dec-20 09:37:31

This has made my day today. I was just making a cuppa when the news broke, and I burst into tears. We have hope !!

Feel immensely proud of such a huge achievement and the sacrifices made by the volunteers.

And, like BlueBelle, I am extremely pleased that it will be supplied worldwide and has been made not-for-profit.

Stay warm and safe everyone.

Witzend Wed 30-Dec-20 09:38:45

Hooray! Much more practical from a storage POV than the Pfizer, and I gather costing £3 per dose as against £15.

Horrible cynic that I am, I was beginning to wonder whether certain people in high places were delaying it because they had a financial interest in the Pfizer one.

Marilla Wed 30-Dec-20 09:39:17

This is wonderful news and apparently vaccinations will begin on the 4th January.

Like all of you, I find lockdown difficult, but not ‘hell’ as one gran described. I actually wish we had a whole country lock down until this new variant is under control.