Today's briefing.

(40 Posts)
MissAdventure Wed 30-Dec-20 17:35:27

Boris is blustering more than ever.

It's uncomfortable to watch.
They're all humming and erring!

growstuff Wed 30-Dec-20 21:54:47

Elegran

J52 You can't be a carrier as you have not had the virus injected into you, just a small bit of its RNA, enough for your immune system to recognise it and attack it if and when it invades in the future - its RNA, not its DNA.

You can be a carrier, if you're infected by the virus because the vaccine takes a couple of days to start working.

growstuff Wed 30-Dec-20 21:57:17

Do they think we are totally stupid?

It would appear so.

Jane10 Wed 30-Dec-20 22:33:33

Boris didn't spontaneously say 5th April. There was a question about Chris Whitty having mentioned Easter and 5th April is the date of Easter next year. Chris Whitty said last summer that it could be Spring of 2021 before we're past the worst. I remember him saying it and being horrified as I'd thought then that it would be over by the Autumn of this year!
Mind you I couldn't believe it last March when we'd originally been told to lock down for three weeks. I thought they must be mad, we'd never stand for three weeks!! Oh well we live and learn. Time will tell.

Lucca Wed 30-Dec-20 22:35:15

I am Going to say it again. I’m all for liberty but it’s time to ENFORCE the rules. So far we’ve had No fines, no patrols, no compulsory masks, no proper test track trace, I feel like this is going from bad to worse.

MayBee70 Wed 30-Dec-20 22:36:27

Just saw Peston interviewing Johnson on ITV. Talking about how soon the vaccine could be rolled out. They were both grinning and smirking and trying not to laugh. In the middle of a pandemic. People are dying and it just seems like one big joke to Johnson. And Peston has completely let himself down. I’m disgusted.

MissAdventure Wed 30-Dec-20 22:37:35

Really??
How insensitive. What is he thinking of?

Teacheranne Wed 30-Dec-20 23:48:43

I was horrified to find out the daily Covid death rate, really awful that we are back to such high rates. It’s hard to compare infection rates though as during the height of the first wave, they were not testing as many people.

I have followed all the lockdown guidelines but I’m going to hunker down even more now and become a total hermit!

Callistemon Wed 30-Dec-20 23:49:27

EllanVannin

You've only got to look how many died during the Spanish 'flu pandemic and this one's more lethal because of the variant.
Innoculation doesn't stop you from getting Covid.

There was no vaccine at that time for the Spanish flu.

A variant of the H1N1 influenza is still with is today (eg swine flu is an H1N1 type).

MayBee70 Wed 30-Dec-20 23:52:39

No one in the Oxford vaccine trial ended up being hospitalised if they caught the virus though: that’s the difference.

MayBee70 Wed 30-Dec-20 23:56:28

Teacheranne

I was horrified to find out the daily Covid death rate, really awful that we are back to such high rates. It’s hard to compare infection rates though as during the height of the first wave, they were not testing as many people.

I have followed all the lockdown guidelines but I’m going to hunker down even more now and become a total hermit!

You and me both. I can’t help but think that I’ll remain a hermit for a long time though. I always wanted to live in a small holding in the middle of nowhere with just my cats and dogs for company (a la Hannah Hawkswell) so maybe it’s part of my nature!

Lexisgranny Thu 31-Dec-20 00:09:48

I find it really irritating when Boris says “ter” instead of “to”, though let’s be fair it could have been worse he could have adopted the glottal stop.

Dorsetcupcake61 Thu 31-Dec-20 06:37:08

I didnt see the full Peston interview but saw Peston on the six o'clock news and he appeared frustrated by Johnsons approach. That said I've a feeling they are pretty good chums!
Yesterday when the Oxford vaccines roll out was announced I was optimistic. That drained away as day went on.
When the first vaccine was made available I remember thinking it would be wonderful as long as they didnt make a mess of rolling it out.
Apparently it's not going as well as it could. On six o'clock news one thing Preston did say was apparently they havent got enough vials to put the vaccine in yet.!
It feels as though the government are continuing to provide positive soundbites but there is no planning or thought into what needs to be provided to ensure these things happen. My underlying feeling is that all that needs to be done and should be done cant be as there are insufficient resources and people to do it whether it's safe schools,staffing the NHS ,administering the vaccine. Now we are being told second doses will be much further apart. Seeing as the full affect doesnt seem to be felt until after the second dose I wonder how many more people will become very ill or die that needn't have.
I feel we are in a much worse position than we were in April despite advances in treatment and two vaccines.
I know many governments have struggling. I know it's an unprecedented situation. Despite that can anyone list the things that have gone to plan and been successful in our dealing with this virus? Anything?
January is showing all the signs of being horrendous. When we emerge in Spring I think any drop in deaths and infections will be due to natural conditions such as people meeting outside again. Until then it's just a case of going back to basics and trying to stay safe.

Elegran Thu 31-Dec-20 09:02:53

J52 I mistook your meaning. Thank you for the clarification. Growstuff The carrier effect you described at is from the virus not from the ^vaccination*, which was what I originally thought J52 meant.

MayBee70 Thu 31-Dec-20 10:43:38

No one became hospitalised after their first dose of the Oxford vaccine which is why they are confident that immunity starts to kick in after one dose. Yes, some people caught it but only mildly. And they don’t know yet know the most efficacious time to leave between doses. That’s still a bit of a work in progress. I know I keep saying this but if people need reassurance/information please listen to DrJohn Campbells utube blogs.