Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

The neighbour

(152 Posts)
MissAdventure Thu 31-Dec-20 11:54:48

Yes, "that one", who had 14+ people at hers for christmas.

One of them (the visitors) has just told me that a very close contact of hers, who she visited a week before christmas, has died of covid, having been in hospital since Christmas eve.

She didn't think to let anyone know, and hasn't been isolating, or told anyone who was there.

Anrol Fri 01-Jan-21 11:07:18

My DS had enough on Boxing Day and called police to report a neighbour who has flouted rules during first lockdown, ignored Tier system and was seen to have numerous groups of people in and out over xmas. He said he just lost it. Police told him he had acted correctly and wished more people would come forward so they could “have a quiet word, to those who think these rules do not apply to them.” Go safe GN’s.

Ellcee Fri 01-Jan-21 11:09:54

My daughter and her six month old baby have tested positive with mild symptoms (so far) after visiting inlaws on Christmas day. They didn't warn her in advance that FIL had symptoms!

Gma29 Fri 01-Jan-21 11:13:08

My mother (who is 90) had a friend call round, who said I knew you wouldn’t mind if I popped in for coffee. After being told well, I do mind actually, you can’t come in. It’s Tier 4, you aren’t allowed, the friend is now in a huff, and seems to think because they know each other it doesn’t matter if they meet up!

SueSocks Fri 01-Jan-21 11:14:28

I despair of people not following the rules, I cannot envisage this situation getting any better. So many think the rules don’t apply to them. My next door neighbour, who earlier in the year complained about others breaking rules, had his son’s family staying for 3 days.
Like others have said, this virus is having a major effect on me mentally, anxiety is sky high & depression is bad. Since. March I have only been to Morrison’s at 9pm (never more than 6 people in there), dog walks near the beach late in the day when hardly anyone is around plus the pavement is very wide so social distancing is easy. I have met nobody since the first lockdown, despite criticism from people I know saying that I can’t become a hermit!
Every day I watch the news I feel physically sick, those poor NHS staff.
To top it all, I let the dog into the garden last night about midnight & there was a lot of noise from a nearby house, clearly a party, they happened during first lockdown as well.
Roll on the vaccine.

annab275 Fri 01-Jan-21 11:14:45

My MIL died of covid on Christmas day. She had been isolating in a care home but of staff were coming into her room and she must have got it from one of them. Of course they were wearing ppe. It just goes to show how lethal this disease is. I wish people would understand that.

Gwenisgreat1 Fri 01-Jan-21 11:15:58

Are you referring to my neighbour MissAdventure? Or are there so many other selfish people around? I spotted a photo of my neighbour with all her children and grandchildren round her on facebook. She is one of those people who is a law unto herself1

Jhardy Fri 01-Jan-21 11:16:30

You’re heading for a heart attack. Such vitriol on this nice website. Stay indoors until this is over and once we’re through it learn not to judge others so harshly please

Luckygirl Fri 01-Jan-21 11:17:24

Police would “have a quiet word, to those who think these rules do not apply to them.” I think it is getting to the point where more than a quiet word is needed.

Callistemon Fri 01-Jan-21 11:20:04

Not everyone can stay indoors - some are working in the NHS, the care sector, essential services.

Of course people are upset and angry if they see others having a complete disregard for the rules and coming on GN to let off steam and ask the opinion of others is good, knowing that others feel the same.

Callistemon Fri 01-Jan-21 11:20:35

That was in reply to Jhardy

Lollipop1 Fri 01-Jan-21 11:21:15

I received a 'self isolate' notice from the NHS Covid site. Apart from a supermarket, I have met only my family bubble. We all tested negative on December 24th with the Lateral flow test. My notice was such a shock as I'm super careful and fastidious about cleanliness. With a heavy heart I informed everyone I know.... just in case. I am bored stiff but must remain inside til tomorrow night.
I would give your neighbour a good telling off. We follow these rules for a reason. There should be no exceptions.

JenJenT Fri 01-Jan-21 11:22:30

Maidmarion, I think many of these people just cannot get their head around the seriousness of the situation; that, in this day and age, we have a nasty, potentially deadly virus that we don’t yet have an antidote for. Therefore, rather than accepting the reality of the situation, they go into denial, clutching at all manner of straws, however improbable, such as these conspiracy theories. I expect psychologists and psychiatrists will be writing learned research papers for years to come about this. All we can do is keep away from them and hope that they don’t reap the whirlwind of the wind they have sown

Aepgirl Fri 01-Jan-21 11:25:18

My neighbours had an ‘outside’ party last night, to which I was invited. I declined, as did a few others. However the ‘party’ went on until about 1.00am, adults and children milling around, no masks, no social distancing. What really makes me cross is that the host of the party is a teacher, as is another neighbour who was there.
We are in an area where the COVID rate is rising - I wonder why.

EvieJ Fri 01-Jan-21 11:29:38

What can i say
We are ALL doing our best to isolate away from everyone.
Family , friends etc and like me, i'm sure some of you are living alone, which can be super hard at times.
But because i have love and respect for everyone, i will fight my loneliness, until i'm aloud out again.
Fortunately for me, i don't have to isolate but i still do, to save lives. However, we can not take responsibility for others, so please keep safe and enjoy 2021 as much as you can, until times change for the better

CleoPanda Fri 01-Jan-21 11:30:36

“ learn not to judge others so harshly please”
What a load of sanctimonious tosh.
I wish everyone would harshly judge these selfish, irresponsible, mindless idiots.
Then they may report them.
Then I may have not been so ill and my MIL may still be alive.
Then we may not all be in lockdown.

Dorsetcupcake61 Fri 01-Jan-21 11:31:36

Absolutely awful. Please don't feel guilty in any way. Maybe she lacks capacity to understand the danger of her actions. Some people live in a world of their own. Maybe she as she has consistently ignored the rules and been fine she thinks she can carry on. It does make you wonder about the other guests. Did no one think it unwise.?
Certainly we seem split into groups. There are those of us who are diligently following the rules almost certainly to the detriment of our own mental and physical wellbeing.
Those groups that dont think they will be affected and so pay lip service to them.
I also think there are some that are incredibly trusting. A good example is those above who went on a coach holiday. Maybe the company were able to persuade them enough safety measures were in place. Maybe they were just desperate to save their business.
The way the government has handled the pandemic hasnt helped and probably the only certainty about 2021 is they will continue in same way.
The only way this will be resolved is by individuals being hit hard and either becoming ill or being prevented from doing the things they want .
I find it impossible at the moment to feel any sort of optimism. The virus will continue to spread and mutate relentlessly. The vaccine isnt a magic bullet ,for it to succeed we have to follow the rules and many have shown they cant or wont. That's assumes the role out of the vaccine is more successful than all the other government policies.
I dont know whether I feel angry or just resigned to probably another year of all this.

Kryptonite Fri 01-Jan-21 11:32:23

My daughter had a disturbed new year's eve. Someone was having a party on same floor as her. Police turned up and there was a commotion in the corridor. She heard a girl say, "I hope I don't get arrested. I'm already on bail!" The selfishness and devil-may-care attitude of people beggars belief. I think a national lockdown for one month is the only solution now.

mumstheword86 Fri 01-Jan-21 11:32:51

Shame on this person and the fourteen others who where together at Christmas gathering Just like a suicide bomber going into a Christmas Marketplace in my husband’s opinion I had to read this out to him Why aren’t they getting prosecuted ???

hulahoop Fri 01-Jan-21 11:32:52

We need stronger deterrents like other countries ,having a quiet word to people flouting the rules is not enough .

Gran16 Fri 01-Jan-21 11:33:33

The mother of my stepchildren has broken rules and been confronted about it by their father but says she doesn't think she did wrong and will continue as she has. I'm at risk as I'm on immunosuppression drugs so this meant the children couldn't come to us for their 'Christmas with Dad'. We are in tier 4 and she travelled with one child and partner to stay in tier 3 for a couple of days while at the same time sending other 2 children to a relative also in tier 4. The children are upset they cant see their Dad so as to protect me (and him) and he explained this to them as best as he could (they are 10-12 age group). Their mother (also at risk!! And doesn't work) still thinks she holds the higher ground and has cut all contact with the children. I shielded for 3 months in March and have only gone to work and done food shopping where necessary since.
It makes my blood boil angry

Caro57 Fri 01-Jan-21 11:39:36

Beggars belief - is she selfish or stupid?

Theoddbird Fri 01-Jan-21 11:48:36

It is people like this that are the cause of the high number of deaths in our country. There are no words...

beverly10 Fri 01-Jan-21 11:54:00

Miss Adventure
The longer people 'stick a finger up' to the rules, as clearly your neighbour did, more lives will be lost.Shame on her.

G1asgowgal Fri 01-Jan-21 11:58:03

What a total and absolute lack of respect for you and everyone else who was in contact with her.

Very selfish stupid people. What is it they fail to understand.

So angry at these people and let’s face it we all know of someone who has flouted the regulations. And we are the ones sitting at home missing our families watching other people do this. They are the ones stopping us getting back to a kind of normal and being able to hug our loved ones, not the government. Who I can’t stand by the way. You have to take responsibility for your own actions. And have respect for other people. So be responsible and have respect... stay home and adhere to the regulations.

Shelmiss Fri 01-Jan-21 11:59:53

I don’t think people who flout the rules like this are selfish, I really do think they are stupid and have a lower IQ etc. They are the kind of people who read things on Facebook and believe it, without trying to do some research of their own.

I have a friend like this, she spouts nonsense that she has heard someone else say and when I ask her how do you know that etc she has no answer. It’s just her repeating stuff. I despair.