Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

The neighbour

(152 Posts)
MissAdventure Thu 31-Dec-20 11:54:48

Yes, "that one", who had 14+ people at hers for christmas.

One of them (the visitors) has just told me that a very close contact of hers, who she visited a week before christmas, has died of covid, having been in hospital since Christmas eve.

She didn't think to let anyone know, and hasn't been isolating, or told anyone who was there.

GagaJo Fri 01-Jan-21 12:03:14

Anrol:
My DS had enough on Boxing Day and called police to report a neighbour who has flouted rules during first lockdown, ignored Tier system and was seen to have numerous groups of people in and out over xmas. He said he just lost it. Police told him he had acted correctly and wished more people would come forward so they could “have a quiet word, to those who think these rules do not apply to them.” Good for your neighbour Anrol!

Ellcee:
My daughter and her six month old baby have tested positive with mild symptoms (so far) after visiting inlaws on Christmas day. They didn't warn her in advance that FIL had symptoms! Your poor daughter! Grandparents giving it to a baby. I hope they are very ashamed of themselves and I really hope your DD and GS are OK.

annab275:
My MIL died of covid on Christmas day. She had been isolating in a care home but of staff were coming into her room and she must have got it from one of them. Of course they were wearing ppe. Condolences annab. So sorry to hear about your MIL.

TanaMa Fri 01-Jan-21 12:09:18

Mumsyface - can you imagine the uproar if this happened here!!?? There are so many people who give their views as to what should be done, but many more who ignore all and any advice. I'd give the Police and the Army permission to clamp down hard on anyone and everyone breaking the rules until they all comply. Let's hope this New Year will bring some respite from this curse.

Dianehillbilly1957 Fri 01-Jan-21 12:12:05

These selfish people are our super spreaders!
Awful lowlife!!!!! I shall refrain from what I'd really like to say!!!!!!!

CaroleAnne Fri 01-Jan-21 12:13:09

Well said EvieJ.
A very happy new year to all gransnetters.
May we all contain our equilibrium until this has all passed which it no doubted will.wine

Jillybird Fri 01-Jan-21 12:13:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Jane43 Fri 01-Jan-21 12:18:53

DH met neighbours, three doors away round the corner, when walking the dog yesterday. They said that their immediate neighbours knocked on their door asking if they would like to join them on New Year’s Eve to welcome in the new year. He diplomatically refused saying now that now we are in Tier 3 it would go against the Government guidelines. His neighbour looked at him blankly then went away and proceeded to knock on more doors. It’s a good job he didn’t come round the corner to our group of houses because my DH would definitely not have been diplomatic in his response.

eagleswings Fri 01-Jan-21 12:21:27

There was a recent interview with a doctor on the radio talking about mask wearing and following the rules. He said, whether people knew it or not, by flouting the rules they would advertently or inadvertently have blood on their hands. Sobering.
Wishing you all hope in 2021.

montymops Fri 01-Jan-21 12:22:46

Has this person had Covid? Just wondering....

timetogo2016 Fri 01-Jan-21 12:25:50

It beggers belief,how stupid can people be.

Cobweb01 Fri 01-Jan-21 12:27:47

This is exactly why we are not getting the situation under control angry

honeyrose Fri 01-Jan-21 12:31:02

Two words. Totally irresponsible.

Frankie51 Fri 01-Jan-21 12:34:13

The pandemic has brought out the caring nature of so many people and the reckless self-centred nature of others. I have lost respect for a couple of friends (turned out to be CoVid deniers and antivaxxers) and I'm extricating myself from that friendship. I think you should do the same. We don't need friends who are dangerous and selfish.

jocork Fri 01-Jan-21 12:39:23

It makes me really angry when I hear things like this. My DD has really suffered this year with her mental health and the reason for that is that she is scared she may get it, be asymptomatic and give it to someone vulnerable despite following all the guidelines. She has been working from home most of the time, but has been to work when necessary. She either walks to work - takes about an hour each way - or drives part way then walks the rest. She used to go by train. She does this to keep herself and others safe. She is now getting frustrated that so many people are breaking the rules. I spent Christmas and New year alone as I'm in tier 4. It just isn't worth breaking the rules or we'll never get back to a normal life!

Genty Fri 01-Jan-21 12:40:37

I live on a sheltered housing complex, the daughter of one of the residents here does cleaning for several residents who live on the complex, the daughter also does cleaning for other sheltered complexes in the area, She now has covid! I dread to think how many have been infected.
I never understood why the government thought it was ok to still allow cleaners into the homes of the elderly from the onset of covid when they are classed as extremely vulnerable.

beverly10 Fri 01-Jan-21 12:40:51

Kalu.
They do understand believing it won't ? happen to them. Tunnel visioned .It only takes ONE person amongst their guests to be unknowingly? carrying this virus which will then be passed on to those in their company.

Jess20 Fri 01-Jan-21 12:41:03

So far I'm lucky that most of my friends are very self aware, literate and careful. They are more concerned with understanding how the virus works and spreads than the actual government rules and have been behaving accordingly, taking more precautions than the Tiers outline. I guess I'm lucky that I know people who can think for themselves and don't take Facebook conspiracy theories at face value. I'm also lucky that as a pensioner I don't have to go out very often. Perhaps, if I was less resiliant, and in a public facing job with little control over my own safety, I might find some sort of denial mechanisms like a conspiracy theory, or belief in the protection of some sort of higher power would help me cope with the anxiety. However, I have little time for those who flout the rules and in doing so put others who do not wish to take those risks in danger.

Grandmabeach Fri 01-Jan-21 12:41:56

Words fail me hearing just how stupid and selfish some people are. I could not forgive myself if I unknowingly passed the virus on to family, friends or anyone else and heard they had died or had long term Covid. As for the people who need to get out as they have not seen anyone for a week! What about the people who have had to self-isolate since March? I am afraid the only answer to avoiding it is to assume everyone else outside your own front door is contagious until you have been vaccinated.

moggie57 Fri 01-Jan-21 12:46:33

thats awful .i would get everyone tested who was at her wonderful dinner of death. i hope you toled her so.

leeds22 Fri 01-Jan-21 12:55:22

People are so selfish. We've just moved up to Tier 3 but on NYE our local, small market town was so busy with tourists who are, apparently, staying in holiday cottages. We are surrounded by Tier 4 so presumably our local R rate will be up next week. It would probably be best if we were all in Tier 4. We are in voluntary lockdown again until our GPs get the vaccine rolling.

Fuchsiarose Fri 01-Jan-21 12:59:26

We have a neighbour who is seen leaving other homes in our cul de sac. Why do they let her in, shes a super spreader. I also know of someone else who dropped her kids off to the gran parents last night. Then told them she was off to a party. The grandparents tried to find out where it was being held. She wouldn't tell them. No idea how many people went to the party. But the NHS soon will. How ignorant are these people ? 2021 will be as bad as 2020, with idiots, partying last night.

Happilyretired123 Fri 01-Jan-21 13:07:58

Jhardy

You’re heading for a heart attack. Such vitriol on this nice website. Stay indoors until this is over and once we’re through it learn not to judge others so harshly please

Why should people who endanger others and strain NHS services not be judged harshly? Try telling that to the loved ones who have been bereaved by COVID? What about those who can’t stay indoors? Key workers? You should think more carefully about your words.

PollyDolly Fri 01-Jan-21 13:07:59

We have a neighbour just like the one described in the OP. Admittedly, he has health issues but most of us do and he is of the opinion that only he has anything wrong, we thinks he can have everyone he wants in his house, he wants all his shopping doing despite being able to shop online, and when he wasn't feeling "right" the other day he wanted me and OH to go and check him over (retired medics)! Naturally, we didn't go, we simply told him to call his GP as we don't have any PPE necessary for entering someone's house regardless of the medical problem.
It amazes me just how selfish some individuals are and they simply don't take responsibility for their own well being!

glammanana Fri 01-Jan-21 13:10:54

Last night was horrendous where I live,I live in a small cul-de-sac of supported bungalows and am the youngest occupant all my neighbours are well over 70yrs old.
My neighbour two doors down has always flouted the request to keep visitors to his home to a minimum and has his family calling all day every day sometimes 10/12 a day.
Last night they had a party in the garden letting off fireworks at midnight not just ordinary fireworks but those that sound like a bomb going off,they sounded as though they where in my kitchen,my poor dog was frightened to death and my cat ran out of the cat flap to hide not coming back until 2am.
One of the residents aged 92 is on end of life care and he has a carer who stay's all night he said the poor man was so distressed at the sounds that he had to ring Police and report them I do hope they get fined and the HA is informed when they reopen on 4th January such selfishness.

Alexa Fri 01-Jan-21 13:14:02

I think the government should asap do public awareness videos on TV and whatever other media . Many people would understand simplified animated cartoons that explain the facts about infectivity.

The advertising industry is very clever, and the gov has not made good use of it.

annsixty Fri 01-Jan-21 13:31:09

One of my friends has a D and SiL about whom my friend says are carrying on as if there is no pandemic.
My F and her H are not seeing them at all even at a distance.
The SiL has now tested positive and the D and GD are waiting for test results.
The irony is that the SiL is remaining well apart from lack of smell and taste.
He will be one of those who afterwards will be saying,” nothing to it, I have had worse colds”.
I only hope the people to whom he may have passed it on are as lucky.