Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

ONS map to see how many covid deaths in your area

(44 Posts)
Genty Sat 02-Jan-21 10:24:48

In my area there have only been 7 covid deaths since covid started.

www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/causesofdeath/articles/deathsinvolvingcovid19interactivemap/2020-06-12

growstuff Sat 02-Jan-21 10:30:08

Presumably you realise that the map only gives the details for council wards/parishes, ie a very small area. My area has only had one death since March, but it only covers an area of about three square miles.

Riverwalk Sat 02-Jan-21 10:36:45

My area shows 11, but it only shows your immediate post code which is a very small area.

I had a look at other green circles, the larger ones, and they tend to be where I know there are hospitals, hospices etc.

growstuff Sat 02-Jan-21 10:42:02

It's a bit bigger than your postcode area, but still not very big. Here it's council wards, but other areas have different administrative systems. Surrounding towns and villages have many more deaths proportionate to population. I guess we've just been lucky - up to now.

growstuff Sat 02-Jan-21 10:45:49

Look at places like Poole and Bournemouth, where there are many more deaths, as expected. Torquay has quite a high number of deaths despite having a low total infection rate.

Ellianne Sat 02-Jan-21 10:52:45

Thank you Genty.
Interestingly only one death in my area, but go back to the area I moved from last year in Essex and there have been 20.

Elusivebutterfly Sat 02-Jan-21 10:56:36

There is another ONS map showing current infection rates for your local area which is useful.

coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/interactive-map.

henetha Sat 02-Jan-21 11:07:12

Amazingly, it says there have been no deaths in my postcode area.

growstuff Sat 02-Jan-21 11:15:35

Elusivebutterfly

There is another ONS map showing current infection rates for your local area which is useful.

coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/interactive-map.

I check that one almost every day. I must have some kind of morbid interest in seeing how the area is being invaded! hmm

I do know for a fact that many of the new infections have been seeded in schools. However, the teenagers are now passing it on to family members, including some very vulnerable people.

There's been an historic pattern of an increase in deaths following an increase in cases by about four weeks, so it wouldn't surprise me to see more deaths in a couple of weeks. I'm not sure if they're registered by home address or place of death, in which case they won't be registered to the postcode, but the hospital where they die.

growstuff Sat 02-Jan-21 11:16:14

henetha

Amazingly, it says there have been no deaths in my postcode area.

Do you have any care homes in the very local area?

henetha Sat 02-Jan-21 11:19:35

Just two that I know of, - one just half a mile away and the other about 2 miles away. I have heard that the nearest one has definitely not had any cases of covid. And, if the figures are accurate, then neither has the other one.
It is amazing, but is presumably because this is a rural area.

Callistemon Sat 02-Jan-21 11:21:46

I have been following ours by MSOA but it has to be rationalised as half our road is in one area, the other half in a different area which has a higher rate.

Shinamae Sat 02-Jan-21 11:23:39

Three in my area which is Barnstaple North Devon

growstuff Sat 02-Jan-21 11:27:54

henetha

Just two that I know of, - one just half a mile away and the other about 2 miles away. I have heard that the nearest one has definitely not had any cases of covid. And, if the figures are accurate, then neither has the other one.
It is amazing, but is presumably because this is a rural area.

That would explain a low infection rate.

The number of people who die depends on the age and health status of the people who become infected, which probably explains the relatively high number of deaths in places like Poole, Bournemouth and Torquay.

growstuff Sat 02-Jan-21 11:29:21

Callistemon

I have been following ours by MSOA but it has to be rationalised as half our road is in one area, the other half in a different area which has a higher rate.

Until this week, my town was a pale green island in a sea of dark blue and purple. It was almost as though the town council had put up anti-Covid barriers.

henetha Sat 02-Jan-21 11:33:12

I'm in south Devon, near south east Dartmoor. Torquay is only about 15 miles away. What a huge difference in infections though.

blondenana Sat 02-Jan-21 11:37:17

In my immediate are only 3, but over the whole town quite a lot, but most of these are mainly elderly and lots of care homes

growstuff Sat 02-Jan-21 11:41:05

It's the same situation here henetha. It depends very much on who actually lives in the area and what the infection rate was like in the first place.

I've done family history research in your area, so I've pored over maps of parish boundaries over the years, but I don't really know who lives there now. I know it's very rural, but Torquay is probably more crowded. It could also be that there are care homes.

growstuff Sat 02-Jan-21 11:41:50

blondenana

In my immediate are only 3, but over the whole town quite a lot, but most of these are mainly elderly and lots of care homes

That's why you really need to know what the area is like to understand the statistics.

EllanVannin Sat 02-Jan-21 11:45:31

In my particular area there have been 14 deaths. Wallasey East.

EllanVannin Sat 02-Jan-21 11:47:24

The 14 deaths are overall the months.

EllanVannin Sat 02-Jan-21 11:50:38

That's wrong----it's 12 deaths. MSOA Wirral 001 area.

henetha Sat 02-Jan-21 12:11:48

There are quite a few care homes in Torquay, growstuff.
I lived there for 50 years; I'm so glad I moved eastwards into the countryside.
Fascinating that you have done family research in this area. Maybe we are distant cousins! But a lot of my ancestors come from the Ugborough district, down near Plymouth.

Redhead56 Sat 02-Jan-21 12:28:25

My area 5 since March knowing these figures makes me stop panicking so much thanks for the link.

Jaxjacky Sat 02-Jan-21 12:49:50

In our parish, approximately 10.000 people 5 deaths in March, 1 in November.