Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

traveling on buses

(50 Posts)
annebo Sun 03-Jan-21 12:16:45

Hi everyone

My parents are in their 70s, have a few health issues but not been ask to sheild. Over the summer they pretty much stayed at home and I did their shopping and talked to them from the garden.

Since September they have been using buses to get around for what I see are fairly trivial reasons. I have offered to give them lifts in the car but they keep using the bus without telling me. My sister says to let them be but I am worried its not safe.

They wear masks and use hand sanitizers and apparently there is some seats taped off so they don't get overcrowded.

[worried]

annebo Sun 03-Jan-21 12:18:19

Apologies for my terrible grammar - posted in haste

Greenfinch Sun 03-Jan-21 12:22:39

I have found buses very safe and although I live in a rural area ,the bus terminates in a town centre. The windows are all open and if anyone dares to close one, someone gets up and opens it again. Your parents are not geriatric. Let them make their own decisions.

Gymstagran Sun 03-Jan-21 12:34:40

I was using buses before this latest lockdown but am now in tier 4 which means essential journeys only
However, being isolated is also not good for their mental health and they need their independence.

MrsEggy Sun 03-Jan-21 12:38:34

We have used our local buses before we went into tier 4. They come past our house, never more than three or four people on, social distancing, windows open, we have felt very safe.

MrsEggy Sun 03-Jan-21 12:40:35

P.S. Feel we are old enough to make our own decisions, I would resent my children/grandchildren telling me what to do!

Witzend Sun 03-Jan-21 12:45:45

I’m over 70, still using buses now and then, and would be decidedly miffed if either dd tried to tell me not to.

We have a very good and frequent bus service here, and numbers are strictly limited, with quite a few seats taped off, so what with masks and hand washing, I don’t consider it any worse than going to the supermarket, which I have done all along. We had never done online shopping and it was impossible to get slots at the beginning of all this, so we had no choice.

BlueBelle Sun 03-Jan-21 12:58:21

I have been using buses all year(I m mid 70s) my 84 year old friend has also I am in Tier 4 and have no car so trips to the supermarket are essential for me
The buses in my area are well looked after every other seat is blocked so you can’t sit near anyone everyone wears a mask I can only report what I see in my area I have seen a person challenged by the driver as they hadn’t put their mask on the driver waited while he did
Every time the bus returns to the bus station it is cleaned down by a lady whose only job is going through the bus with spray and cloth The windows are open

I m afraid I wouldn’t like any of my children making decisions for me unless I was incapable
Your parents sound perfectly capable of making their own minds up and in my opinion you are overstepping the mark even though it’s done out of concern

LadyHonoriaDedlock Sun 03-Jan-21 13:07:02

I'm using buses all the time in Glasgow since I was released from shielding in August, as I'm a non-driver these days. I haven't had a problem and I don't feel uncomfortable with them. One blessing is that I never have to share a seat; one seat in each pair is taped off, lightly so that people travelling together can sit together.

I wouldn't be too concerned for your parents. They seem to be taking the most sensible precautions.

annebo Sun 03-Jan-21 13:12:52

Thank you for your reassurance. Not trying to interfer with their lives but feel worried sometimes that they are making unneccessary journeys when my car is stood idol.

I just wondered what is normal for the over 70s . Thanks again!

annebo Sun 03-Jan-21 13:15:34

*idle (sorry) blush

annebo Sun 03-Jan-21 13:16:47

I feel I am neglecting my duties to them in the nicest possible way - glad when they get the vaccine!

BlueSky Sun 03-Jan-21 13:23:06

MrsEggy

P.S. Feel we are old enough to make our own decisions, I would resent my children/grandchildren telling me what to do!

Agree Mrs Eggy! I do understand children and grandchildren are concerned about our safety as we were about theirs, because they care about us. But yes we can still make our own decisions!

annebo Sun 03-Jan-21 13:25:26

Just for context - both my parents have contracted pneumonia in the past, my mum had a heart attack and my dad has angina. It was very scary seeing them in hospital looking so ill so I probably worry more than most.

I have taken your opinions on board and will mind my own business! Thanks for your feedback - it has been reassurring.

BlueBelle Sun 03-Jan-21 13:30:11

Although I tottally understand your concern you really need to let them be to make their own regulations in their lives The bus trips may seem trivial to you but independence and getting out of four walls is very necessary for a lot of older people
Tomorrow I shall don my mask and go on a short bus trip to my nearest Aldi where I will do a weeks shop then catch the bus home I have neighbours and a daughter I could ask but why would I ? they have their own stuff to do and I would go totally stir crazy just sitting and waiting for someone else to do stuff for me
I take what precautions are advised and think no more about it just like when I cross the road I make sure I look both ways and cross in an appropriate place however I could still be wiped out by a rogue cardriver we can never be 100% sure about anything can we.

hulahoop Sun 03-Jan-21 13:45:02

Forgive me if I'm wrong but are you supposed to drive people about ,apart from emergency ,I thought it was not advisable I would rather go on a bus than travel in a taxi daft I know.

annebo Sun 03-Jan-21 13:51:40

hulahoop - I didn't know that! Thank you

Judy54 Sun 03-Jan-21 16:41:29

What is normal for over 70's annebo is to make their own decisions. They are Adults not Children and do not appear to be doing anything to flout the rules. It is their choice as to whether to use a bus. What are the fairly trivial reasons reasons you see and why should they have to tell you before using the bus. They are not accountable to you and are quite capable of making decisions for themselves. I would be appalled if someone was trying to dictate my life to me. Don't be so over protective of them until such time as they need your input.

annebo Sun 03-Jan-21 17:17:34

Judy54 - terrible I know

Everyone else thank you for letting me know how safe buses are, thats good to hear!

Take care x

annebo Sun 03-Jan-21 17:35:02

I will put this in bold for emphasis not shouting because I think people are cherry picking what I have written and being overly dramatic

1. I HAVE NOT TOLD MY PARENTS THEY CANNOT TRAVEL ON BUSES. I WAS JUST WORRIED THAT IT MAY NOT BE SAFE BECAUSE I AM A DRIVER AND DIDN'T KNOW WHAT PRECAUTIONS ARE TAKING PLACE

2. I DON'T WANT THEM TO TELL ME WHEN THEY ARE GOING TO TAKE A BUS, BUT WHEN THEY NEED TO GO OUT TO LET ME KNOW IF THEY NEED A LIFT

3. I DON'T TREAT MY PARENTS LIKE CHILDREN WE HAVE A WONDERFUL RELATIONSHIP AND MY MUM IS MY BEST FRIEND.

4. THEY HAVE BOTH BEEN HOSPITALIZED WITH PNUEMONIA IN THE PAST SO I ADMIT TO BEING MORE WORRIED THAN OTHER PEOPLE

5. THEY BOTH HAVE HISTORY OF HEART PROBLEMS AND CONCERNED THEY ARE AT RISK

6. BY 'NORMAL' I MEAN IS IT CONSIDERED SAFE FOR PEOPLE OVER 70'S TO BE TRAVELLING ON PUBLIC TRANSPORT. WHAT DOES EVERYONE ELSE DO?

If I have offended anyone I am truly sorry but some posters here have taken what I have written and and run with it all out of context. Please forgive me if I have not made it clear as I have had a bad day and writing quickly.

Happy New Year to you all

annebo Sun 03-Jan-21 17:42:34

Oh and .....

7. HAVE AGREED THAT YOU ARE ALL RIGHT AND THAT I WILL MIND MY OWN BUSINESS. PLEASE REFER TO MY POST #6

crazyH Sun 03-Jan-21 17:47:49

annebo, you are just a concerned daughter and I get it. Please do continue to keep an eye on your parents. Ofcourse, they know what they are doing, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t show concern and express it, when necessary. Happy New Year !!!

MissAdventure Sun 03-Jan-21 17:55:27

grin annebo

Urmstongran Sun 03-Jan-21 18:05:18

Well I think you sound a lovely caring daughter and I get it, you were just checking what bus users thought of them as a safe mode of transport.
?

MissAdventure Sun 03-Jan-21 18:07:41

I won't say what they're like in my area.
Mind you, (touch wood!!!!) I'm still here and am positive I'm negative.