Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Symptoms list needs revising

(55 Posts)
Flaxseed Sun 03-Jan-21 13:56:53

I know lots of symptoms are listed but the main ones on the Gov & NHS sites are still a High temperature, new or continuous cough and loss of taste and smell.

I worked Boxing Day night with two staff who had the symptoms of a cold but were advised to get a test anyway. They tested positive.
I have felt achy the last few days but no cough, temperature or loss of taste/smell. I have the lateral flow tests from work and they have been negative. Until today confused when it showed I am positive.
I am now off for a PCR test for confirmation.
So please everyone, even if you think you have a cold (I actually thought I was coming down with tonsillitis) get a test!!

CleoPanda Mon 04-Jan-21 10:56:17

Antibody tests are pretty useless for determining if you’ve had the virus. My GP relative had Covid and was very poorly - positive tests etc. 2 months later he tested negative for antibodies. They reckoned some people don’t keep the antibodies for long.

B9exchange Mon 04-Jan-21 11:00:59

With a third of cases asymptomatic, don't forget that at this time of year colds, flu, sinusitis, migraines, cluster headaches, bronchitis, pneumonia and many other diseases are rife, they haven't gone away. It is perfectly possible to have one or more of those and incidentally test positive for covid-19, so really difficult to tell what causes what.

Greeneyedgirl Mon 04-Jan-21 13:16:31

You’re quite right B9. The only positive is that with distancing, mask wearing and hand washing it should cut down on some seasonal illnesses.

Unfortunately essential workers are at risk from everything.

Maggiemaybe Mon 04-Jan-21 13:56:51

I remember reading months ago that the NHS advised that certain people should take Vitamin D supplements and that they would be supplied free for some high risk categories. The information’s on the NHS website.

www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/people-at-higher-risk/get-vitamin-d-supplements/

GillT57 Mon 04-Jan-21 14:39:55

Hope you feel better soon Flaxseed, and good point about the variety of symptoms. It could be of course, that two things are happening at the same time? Maybe we could have the usual unpleasant symptoms of a feverish cold, but have covid19 as well. I did read somewhere that it was forecast that most of us would have fewer episodes of colds, etc due to distancing.

vampirequeen Tue 05-Jan-21 10:43:46

I hope you're beginning to feel better Flaxseed. Don't push yourself too hard.

TerriBull Tue 05-Jan-21 10:59:58

Wishing you a speedy recovery Flaxseed.

I tend to read the testaments of high profile people who have talked about their symptoms, particularly those of an older demographic. Both Suzie Quatro and John Bishop talked about excruciating head aches, I think they both said something along the lines of "my head felt it was going to explode" and feeling completely wiped out for days, No mentions of coughs which seemed to be a prevalent feature when the virus first emerged. No one knows of course how they will personally be affected with this awful virus. Two members of our extended family have had it, 20 somethings, just felt somewhat under the weather, overly tired and loss of taste, if only that were the case for everybody.

Flaxseed Wed 06-Jan-21 12:59:57

My colleague’s first symptom was a bad headache.
Track & Trace rang me today to make sure I understand that I need to isolate. She can rest assured that even walking downstairs to the front door is too much effort, so I most definitely won’t be going out of it!
Not that I would anyway. Unless people stay indoors and obey the rules we’ll still be in this state for much of this year hmm
Anyway, she asked what my symptoms are and confirmed that headaches and aching are now amongst the most common symptoms.
Thanks for the get well wishes.
Please all stay safe, this isn’t pleasant sad

ReadyMeals Wed 06-Jan-21 13:22:15

IMHO the guidance should have been that anyone with ANY respiratory or feverish or cold-like symptoms should have isolated, just in case it was covid.

Curlywhirly Wed 06-Jan-21 13:32:08

My son, DDlL and DGD have all tested positive. DDIL just had a bad headache for 3/4 days; 6 years old DGD has no symptoms; our son has the more common symptoms - headache, aching joints, chills, sore throat and a cough. None of them has lost their sense of taste or smell. My son has been ill now for 6 days, and according to websites, it's around 7 to 10 days that things may get worse. Fingers crossed, that he fights it off.

Liz46 Wed 06-Jan-21 13:58:52

I have been offered a supply of Vitamin D by the NHS, probably because I am clinically extremely vulnerable. I have been taking it for several years anyway because I have dodgy lungs but I have accepted the NHS offer so that I can check the recommended dose.

Callistemon Wed 06-Jan-21 20:18:28

That may be just your GP surgery, Liz46, which is being pro-active. Good for them.

Vitamin D was recommended for all children a couple of years ago but there was no sign of it being offered here.

I have heard nothing about Vitamin D, the vaccine - or anything whatsoever in fact.

farview Wed 06-Jan-21 20:47:17

Which vitamin d though..d2 or d3?

janeainsworth Thu 07-Jan-21 08:33:56

Lots of info here Farview. Basically D2 is from plants & D3 made by sunlight on our skin.
www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.hollandandbarrett.com/the-health-hub/vitamins-and-supplements/vitamins/vitamin-d/difference-d2-d3/amp/

NotSpaghetti Thu 07-Jan-21 08:54:32

I also have the Zoe app.
Here are screenshots of the symptoms they ask about:

NotSpaghetti Thu 07-Jan-21 08:55:14

More:

NotSpaghetti Thu 07-Jan-21 08:56:10

Get well soon flaxseed

Greeneyedgirl Sun 10-Jan-21 14:28:23

Re Vitamin D. There’s a good article in the Observer today. Does Vit D combat Covid?.

janeainsworth Sun 10-Jan-21 14:52:48

www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/jan/10/does-vitamin-d-combat-covid?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
Link to your article, Greeneyedgirl

MayBee70 Sun 10-Jan-21 16:26:34

I hadn’t heard of VitB12 as a preventative before although I had read that it should be taken to help with long covid along with co enzyme q10. .

Greeneyedgirl Sun 10-Jan-21 16:41:39

Thanks Janeainsworth I must learn how to do links on iPad. ?

Liz46 Sun 10-Jan-21 17:11:40

Callistemon

That may be just your GP surgery, Liz46, which is being pro-active. Good for them.

Vitamin D was recommended for all children a couple of years ago but there was no sign of it being offered here.

I have heard nothing about Vitamin D, the vaccine - or anything whatsoever in fact.

Actually it was Matt Hancock who offered four months supply of vitamin D. He sends detailed emails to the clinically extremely vulnerable.

annodomini Sun 10-Jan-21 19:22:16

DS2 had a cough, tight chest and headaches, so went off and had a test which, thankfully, proved negative. His man flu is now improving. grin

Callistemon Sun 10-Jan-21 19:32:40

Actually it was Matt Hancock who offered four months supply of vitamin D. He sends detailed emails to the clinically extremely vulnerable.

It was probably just an initiative just in England, then.

DiscoDancer1975 Mon 11-Jan-21 16:36:42

My daughter’s future sister in law has covid for the second time, with her partner, and 22 month old. Both have never had the three main symptoms. They just feel like they’ve had colds. Both times tested positive. You can’t assume you’re ok, just because you don’t have the three ‘ major’ symptoms