Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Why are healthy 70 yr olds getting vaccine before older people in some areas

(85 Posts)
EMOT Tue 05-Jan-21 08:48:12

Can someone explain why my friends who are 70 and very fit and on no drugs along with others in their area are being vaccinated this week when older people in the same area aren’t. In fact why are they being vaccinated before everyone in the whole country who is older or more vulnerable has been vaccinated? How does this work?

Washerwoman Mon 18-Jan-21 12:56:57

Took mum in her 90s to have the other day.To be fair the delay was her declining it when the surgery rang to invite her initially.
I must say I was very impressed how efficiently they got so many in and out and how helpful they were.The majority were elderly but there were some younger people receiving it.I have no idea what criteria they fulfilled ,and if they get it well ahead of me so be it.It just felt good to see something so positive happening.

lemongrove Mon 18-Jan-21 13:49:17

The 70 and over, and those younger with various ( serious) health problems are being called now in my area ( for this week)?
I think the problem with getting the vaccine to those 80 and over and in care homes has been getting them to a hub or hospital for the Vaccine stored at very low temperature.
The roll out is going fantastically well, the UK is well ahead of European countries.
Israel has a tiny population.

silverlining48 Mon 18-Jan-21 15:30:05

I live in Kent on the border with a london borough and have been surprised how many people i know in their 60s with no health problems , (yes i do know, they are fit walkers) who live within the london boundary and have already had their vaccinations.
BBC report today that there is a problem with vaccinations in Kent, many over 80s and those with health problems have heard nothing. Just my luck but will be so excited when I get the call.

AGAA4 Mon 18-Jan-21 16:22:46

We seem to be behind with our vaccine roll out here in Wales but I will just wait patiently till my turn comes.

threexnanny Mon 18-Jan-21 16:39:11

I haven't read all this thread so it may already have been mentioned but I was concerned that some of the 80 + group had not been seen, but the 70's have been started on. Then found out that at least two of the older ones I know of had not heard their phones ringing to offer them an appointment!

Casdon Mon 18-Jan-21 16:54:22

AGAA4 it’s because in Wales the decision was made to vaccinate Health and Care workers before over 80s, but they are catching up now, and additional vaccination centres have opened from today so things will move quickly now - although there’s a 26,000 dose shortfall for the AstraZeneca vaccine delivery this week which means that the GP practice rollout will be slower than they hoped.

AGAA4 Mon 18-Jan-21 16:57:42

Thank you Casdon. I should have known that as I do try to keep up with the news but have got mixed up with the other nations.

luluaugust Mon 18-Jan-21 17:04:40

We think our GP has been very efficient with working down the patient lists, we had ours at short notice last week. It was pouring with rain, dark and cold and I did wonder if a number of those older than us would have found it difficult to come out in that weather. Our centre is also not that easy to access without a car, I am sure this must make a difference.

M0nica Mon 18-Jan-21 17:10:01

EMOT If the Carlisle area manages to vaccinate its over 75s very quickly, while Dover is running late. Are you suggesting that older people from Dover be bussed to Carlisle to get the vaccine or should Carlisle throwaway its unused vaccine rather than give it to local over 70s?

Some areas will always get through the vaccinations faster than others. the reasons can be anything from the different number of over 80s in different places, to population density and other quite ordinary reasons?