Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Vaccine side effects

(235 Posts)
Atqui Wed 06-Jan-21 14:57:52

My husband had the Pfizer jab before Christmas with no ill effects it seemed . Two weeks after he had really bad headaches on 3 consecutive nights . He is not normally prone to headaches . The GP says it could not be related to the jab. Has anyone else had anything similar?

Callistemon Thu 14-Jan-21 23:20:10

I think bad headaches 1-2 weeks down the line would have been down to the vaccine as that's how long it takes to 'kick-in'

Are you an immunologist, yogagirl?

You seem very sure of your facts.
I thought you were anti-vaccine?

Callistemon Thu 14-Jan-21 23:23:18

In fact I felt quite under the weather today, churning tummy, really rough. I am due to have the vaccine tomorrow. Could it be a side effect grin

M0nica
?

Callistemon Thu 14-Jan-21 23:24:29

I'm getting a headache
I think it's a side effect of us not getting the vaccine in Wales.
An anxiety headache

Yogagirl Fri 15-Jan-21 09:32:52

QuoteCallistemon Are you an immunologist, yogagirl?

Wish I had used my intelligence and got that far Callistemon

Well tin hat on for me, I'm going to be honest with my feelings on this subject, which normally I say as little as possible, due to the backlash! My sister even blocked me on 'whatsapp' when I said I wouldn't be having the jab, [unblocked now]. I have never had the flu jab & never have vaccines when I travel abroad, unless forced to, as was when I went to India, but I had only the ones I had to. When I lived in Africa for 6yrs, never took malaria tabs, gin & tonic did the trick quite nicely! As does vitamin D now.

All my family, bar my sister & prev. f.i.l who's almost 90, all my neighbours, work colleges & students have all said they will not have an untested vaccine. You never hear on the news about anyone who is anti-vaccine or the terrible side effects that I've seen on independent news stations & doctors & professors talk on this.

My son is a scientist, not working at the moment, living with me since just before the first lockdown. He updates me daily on what's going on, what's in the vaccine & the long term effects it could have on a body.

As I've already said, I listen to both sides and have to admit I am very confused. But to put a soup of chemicals into my healthy body I will not do.

I listen to both sides. Yes there is a terrible Corona flu making many very sick & sadly many dying, as happens every year with flu of all different types. This is clearly the worst we've had. When they say that the death rate is greater than that of 1948, yes it is but then the population is far greater now!

Maybe this is payback time for all the terrible animal cruelty around the world by humans!

henetha Fri 15-Jan-21 10:38:13

I'm having my first jab next Tuesday and will tell you if I get any side effects as time goes on. But I feel optimistic about it. I've had lots of various vaccinations, including the flu one every year, and never had adverse side effects.

EllanVannin Fri 15-Jan-21 10:42:49

Maybe a sore arm near the area of the needle as it goes into the muscle. Much like after a 'flu injection, that's all.

EllanVannin Fri 15-Jan-21 10:46:16

I blame weather on many headaches, usually before snow and we all know that the oppression of an impending thunderstorm can bring on a headache. The state of any weather can bring about various aches and pains----then you have anxiety of course.

Daisymae Fri 15-Jan-21 10:58:04

I think that to say this vaccine is untested is really untrue. It was tested on tens of thousands of people here and abroad. One thing I will say is that the effects of covid are well known so I will be having a vaccine as soon as it's offered.

Ziggy62 Fri 15-Jan-21 11:01:33

my husband and myself had vacinne 28/12/2020 due for 2nd one on Monday.
The day after I felt really really tired and fell asleep in the car during my lunch break, I put it down to having a busy Christmas (working) , that evening I was extremely cold and my arm was quite sore. Next day I spent most of the day sleeping on the sofa. Again just put it down to a hectic Christmas but a few of my friends at work reported similar side effects. On the Friday (new years day) my husband had a headaches, was very cold and tired, which lasted 3 days.
Both of us felt fine after couple of days rest, I feel very lucky to have had vaccine as i'm only in late 50's. No regrets

Casdon Fri 15-Jan-21 11:07:06

Yoga girl your argument completely blew out of the water when you said you didn’t take anti malaria tablets when you lived in Africa for 6 years. That is downright crazy. I had a close colleague who had the same attitude, she’d lived in Africa as a missionary midwife for over 10 years, and done the same as you. When she went back on holiday she again didn’t take the tablets, on return she died, in the London tropical diseases hospital, it was heartbreaking for everybody who knew her.

beverly10 Fri 15-Jan-21 11:22:34

Atqui.
Is your H like a member of my family grin who what ever treatment they receive from the medical profession will have /head /stomache /back ache etc etc and in their view must be due to etc etc etc.?If headaches, although treated, persist. then most certainly call your GP.

M0nica Fri 15-Jan-21 11:39:57

Yogagirl the vaccines are not untested, My own DH was one of the participants in the Oxford trials. He was one of 25,000 such people.

No medication or vaccine is without side effects. Have you ever read the bit of paper tucked into any patent medicine, from indigestion tablets to pain killers?

In fact life is not without risk, get into a car, cross a road, put your tights on, change your shoes. Thousands of people are killed or injured every year doing just such everyday tasks.

Vaccination means that smallpox no onger exists and that polio has also nearly been eradicated.

You didn't take anti-malaria tablets, just relied on gin and tonic. So the dangers of alcohol did not worry you?

I have commented on your previous post of your failure to understand how vaccines work when you talked about them 'kicking in' weeks later.

Wheniwasyourage Fri 15-Jan-21 11:46:12

Yogagirl, I echo what M0nica says. You have some strange views, and perhaps it is as well that most of us don't share them, as at least most of us will take the vaccine gratefully when we get the chance, not just for our own benefit, but for the sake of reducing the risks to those who can't or won't take it.

For the umpteenth time on Gransnet, I would point out that this is a coronavirus, not a flu virus. You are doing the virological equivalent of mixing up orang-utans and sheep, both mammals, but quite different.

Yogagirl Sat 16-Jan-21 10:08:02

Out of all the European countries, Norway is offering the most cautious approach to the vaccine rollout. Norwegian officials said 23 people had died in the country a short time after receiving their first dose of the vaccine. Of those deaths, 13 have been autopsied, with the results suggesting that common side effects may have contributed to severe reactions in frail, elderly people, according to the Norwegian Medicines Agency.

Yogagirl Sat 16-Jan-21 10:20:57

Coronavirus & flu virus come under the same 'umbrella': Are descended from the same ancestor. Virus kingdom Orthornavirae.

Callistemon Sat 16-Jan-21 10:21:07

Most of the deceased were reportedly elderly and terminally ill patients.
According to the Norwegian Institute of Public Heath.

I would wonder about the efficacy of giving the vaccine to someone who is terminally ill although, of course, if they caught Covid it would probably prove to be fatal anyway.
A difficult decision to make in those circumstances but the chances of someone who is in the last stages of life suffering badly with Covid is probably worse.

It is an inert vaccine not a live one and apparently caused fever and nausea which led to their deaths.

We are not alarmed by this. It is quite clear that these vaccines have very little risk, with a small exception for the frailest patients, Steinar Madsen, medical director with the agency, told Norwegian broadcaster NRK.

Doctors must now carefully consider who should be vaccinated. Those who are very frail and at the very end of life can be vaccinated after an individual assessment, he added.

Millie22 Sat 16-Jan-21 10:21:16

Please don't say that my mother had her vaccine yesterday.

Yogagirl Sat 16-Jan-21 10:52:19

Corona virus is more closely related to the common cold [Rhinovirus] than flu, they are both positive single strain RNA viruses. Whereas influenza is a negative single strain RNA virus:

Yogagirl Sat 16-Jan-21 10:59:26

On the graphed above, reading from left:

The first pictured virus is Coronavirus & Rhinovirus [common cold].

The third pictured virus is Flu.

grannysyb Sat 16-Jan-21 11:12:57

Will certainly be having mine, had both my children vaccinated, (years ago, they are now 50 and 51!) Have flu jab every year, sick of conspiracy fantasists.

Yogagirl Sat 16-Jan-21 11:22:25

QuoteCallistemon Sat 16-Jan-21 10:21:07
It is an inert vaccine not a live one and apparently caused fever and nausea which led to their deaths

Dr David Martin explains, "once in your body it activates the cells to become a pathogen manufacturing site."
"It is a chemical pathogen device that is actually meant to unleash a chemical pathogen production action within a cell."

M0nica Sat 16-Jan-21 11:34:56

I had my COVID jab yesterday. The doctor warned I might have a sore arm and a lump today, but actually I have absolutely nothing at all. I cannot even find the spot where the needle went in!

I feel fine and anticipate continuing to feel so. I had a flu jab this year for the first time and had exactly the same experience, no soreness, no swelling, no sign where the needle went the day after and absolutely no after affects at all.

I notice the Norwegian pms say they show signs that the vaccine may have contributed to their deaths, not that it did. Terminally ill people are usually on a cocktail of drugs, often in quite large doses and I would think any doctor would think twice, three or more times about adding a vaccine onto that drug load. Like others I must say, if someone is near death, I cannot see the point.

There will always be some people for whom a vaccine is considered unsuitable. See this list of contra indicators for the Pfizer drug issued by the NHS www.sps.nhs.uk/articles/contraindications-and-cautions-summary-for-pfizer-biontech-covid-19-vaccine/ .

These vaccines are not given without checks, when we turned up for our vaccines yesterday, they did, infact, check us against this list of contra-indicators.

Yogagirl It is your choice whether you have the vaccine or not, but your arguments against it so far have been very thin and assumed that all those involved in developing and administrating the vaccine are reckless and/or stupid. They aren't. These vaccines have been throughly tested and retested and approved by the relevant drug testing bodies. Detailed instructions for their administration have been issued and a list of circumstances and conditions when they should not be adminstered has been published and, as I know, not only are these checked when you enter the vaccine system, but they are checked and double checked all the way through.

Elegran Sat 16-Jan-21 11:49:41

Yogagirl When it comes to defeating invading organisms, your immune system does indeed work very hard at producing substances that kill - but they kill the attacking pathogens. Before the immune system has met a particular pathogen, it is unaware that it will have to defend your cells against it, but once a trace of a new threat is detected, the antigens to counteract it are manufactured and go to work. The next time the invader shows up, it gets short shrift, as the antigen factory now has its blueprint. Vaccines introduce a portion of the pathogen - not the full Monty to multiply in your cells to give you the disease but a scrap of part of it to be recognised. Like your fingerprint as an identifier isn't the same thing as your whole body present at the crime scene waiting to be arrested.

M0nica Sat 16-Jan-21 12:06:05

None of the COVID vaccines use the traditional methods of vaccine production. They are not based on a dead or weakened form of the pathogen being injected into the body in preparations that are designed not to make you sick but rather to build immunity.

The science behind the Pfizer vaccine is described here www.pfizer.co.uk/behind-science-what-mrna-vaccine

The science behind the Oxford vaccine is described here www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55041371

Callistemon Sat 16-Jan-21 12:21:34

Thank you for that link M0nica
It's most useful