Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Return of The Clap?

(193 Posts)
B9exchange Wed 06-Jan-21 15:31:22

Sky news is saying there is a push to bring back the 8.00 pm clapping on Thursdays, this time for 'Heroes' instead of the 'NHS'. My instinctive reaction was 'no way am I joining in with that all over again'. It felt daft enough the first time round to be clapping people who could not hear it, and I can't face going back to that, it feels like Groundhog Day.

I have huge respect for everyone working in every part of the care sector, for all essential workers who have kept the Country running over the past year. I am truly grateful to all of them. But what they deserve is a pay rise, not the population of the UK freezing on their doorsteps in the dark once a week, making noises they cannot hear.

If there was a way I could supply a home cooked meal to the doorstep of anyone coming off a long shift, I would leap at the opportunity. Petitions to increase the pay and conditions of essential workers, I'm right there. But I am not doing the clapping again.

SueDonim Wed 06-Jan-21 18:58:28

You certainly caught my eye, B9exchange! grin

No, I won’t be clapping. It’s minus 5 deg here (best temp in the middle of the day was minus 2!) and I don’t want to catch my death of cold on my own doorstep.

It’s an idea that’s had its day.

lemsip Wed 06-Jan-21 19:00:43

what an unfortunate thread title!

ElaineI Wed 06-Jan-21 19:02:05

I think it was good the last time. There are a lot of key workers near us and it brought neighbours together. The children loved it. We also did the Christmas Eve 6pm jingle which was for the children and again they all loved it and was a great community spirit however I think something else would now be more appropriate though not sure what. Maybe more donations to food banks, clothes banks and toy banks or something along these lines as the impact of lockdown financially for many was horrendous and to have it again before some people have recovered from the last one does not bear thinking about.

allium Wed 06-Jan-21 20:27:34

No way.

midgey Wed 06-Jan-21 20:36:54

A friend has just posted: never mind clap for carers - slap the selfish!

Jane10 Wed 06-Jan-21 22:31:22

Oh dear. I thought that with everyone in lockdown the clap would be a thing of the past. Oh well. wink

Hetty58 Wed 06-Jan-21 22:35:25

(Good, it wasn't just me who jumped to the wrong conclusion when seeing the title. Endless laughs on here.)

WOODMOUSE49 Wed 06-Jan-21 22:39:53

EllanVannin

More to the point if someone went round collecting £1 from everyone.

Donate money please. The less movement around the streets as possible.

No I will not be out clapping.

JenniferEccles Wed 06-Jan-21 23:18:01

I believe it’s unanimous then!
No one thinks it’s a good idea.

sharon103 Wed 06-Jan-21 23:29:40

It's a no from me.

NotSpaghetti Thu 07-Jan-21 00:20:14

Jaxjacky

B9exchange do excuse me, but your thread title made me think we had an outbreak of gonorrhoea to worry about too ?

And me!

heath480 Thu 07-Jan-21 01:28:32

No from me.

Spinnaker Thu 07-Jan-21 01:36:49

Definitely not.

NotAGran55 Thu 07-Jan-21 05:51:45

Ah not what I thought from the title!

It’s a no from me . I clapped for all key workers last time, especially my young son who was working 200 miles away, but felt very silly doing it I must admit .

vegansrock Thu 07-Jan-21 06:05:52

Its a no from me daft idea, didn’t like it the first time round, though I liked the rainbows in the window. What they need is a pay rise, more investment, more staff, and people to stay at home.

FannyCornforth Thu 07-Jan-21 06:27:54

It's just been mentioned on the Today program, so it looks like it's 'official'. The woman who has taken the credit for starting it in the first place wants to bring it back.

I didn't do it the first time around and certainly won't be doing it now.

Calendargirl Thu 07-Jan-21 06:53:26

Doing it in the spring, summer coming along, lighter nights, a chance to spot neighbours and wave, all seemed ok back then but went on too long.

If they bring it back, I am sure it won’t be embraced again, for a start dark nights mean you can’t see who is out clapping, cold nights, a big no no.

Mollygo Thu 07-Jan-21 08:10:28

Stay home! So if you want to clap-do it in the warmth and safety of your own home. Be daring and open your blinds or curtains so folk can see you if you like, but it’s too cold-and there are no spare beds if standing in the cold or snow or sleet makes you ill.
Set up a ‘JustGiving.com’ page and raise funds for the NHS or other key workers; much better than giving them the clap!

Grannmarie Thu 07-Jan-21 08:15:24

I've just heard on Radio 2 news that it is starting tonight.

LisaP Thu 07-Jan-21 09:47:45

No clapping here either - why have we waited until this situation to be appreciative of the NHS - they were there before and they will be there after. They do a brilliant job ALL the time, reward them with better pay and conditions

grandMattie Thu 07-Jan-21 09:49:02

Was alarmed by title!
No, not clapping. Serves no purpose. Other forms of support, if possible, are far better.

spabbygirl Thu 07-Jan-21 09:51:26

I so agree, they need a pay rise and a bonus not clapping, it made me sick to see boris clapping & tories privatising the NHS yet charging them hefty fees to park at their place of work and having run down their salary so much the last decade that in real terms their pay has gone down

Elvis58 Thu 07-Jan-21 09:52:10

No thank you.
I would miss the begining of "Death in Paradise."

GrammarGrandma Thu 07-Jan-21 09:54:44

I won't be doing it. It was hypocritical last time seeing Johnson et al applauding the very people they have denied a decent wage. Remember the nurses who had to use food banks? Claps are no good to them.

NannyYC Thu 07-Jan-21 09:55:47

We won’t be either. We have friends working through this and they also feel that nice as the clapping is, the best way for us to show our appreciation is to stay home and abide by the rules. Clapping will not save lives.