Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Return of The Clap?

(193 Posts)
B9exchange Wed 06-Jan-21 15:31:22

Sky news is saying there is a push to bring back the 8.00 pm clapping on Thursdays, this time for 'Heroes' instead of the 'NHS'. My instinctive reaction was 'no way am I joining in with that all over again'. It felt daft enough the first time round to be clapping people who could not hear it, and I can't face going back to that, it feels like Groundhog Day.

I have huge respect for everyone working in every part of the care sector, for all essential workers who have kept the Country running over the past year. I am truly grateful to all of them. But what they deserve is a pay rise, not the population of the UK freezing on their doorsteps in the dark once a week, making noises they cannot hear.

If there was a way I could supply a home cooked meal to the doorstep of anyone coming off a long shift, I would leap at the opportunity. Petitions to increase the pay and conditions of essential workers, I'm right there. But I am not doing the clapping again.

Toadinthehole Wed 06-Jan-21 16:56:19

I thought we were talking about STD’s as well. I don’t want either type to be honest. We clapped the first time, but after that it was just silly. More money is what they need, and plenty of staff. All our public sector workers, anyone who deals with the public, should be vaccinated first...in my opinion. Clapping gives no protection at all....either kind!

Daisymae Wed 06-Jan-21 16:59:40

No, not for me. I didn't participate the first time either.

Esspee Wed 06-Jan-21 17:04:57

Jaxjacky that’s the second time today we have had similar thoughts. Are you my twin sister?

Billybob4491 Wed 06-Jan-21 17:10:48

Another non clapper here. Last time my neighbour instead of clapping banged together two saucepans for about ten minutes! Whats the point of that.

NfkDumpling Wed 06-Jan-21 17:14:11

We did the first time because we were shielding so not going out at all and it was the only time we were able to see other people and stand outside in the evening sunshine and chat.

We're not going to this time as whats the point of standing outside in the dark and cold and possibly rain and wind and clapping whilst wearing gloves.

sodapop Wed 06-Jan-21 17:18:20

B9 you are bad grin

Marthjolly1 Wed 06-Jan-21 17:24:24

I wont be standing on the doorstep clapping again. I just feel its somewhat hollow and not really genuine. I have so much admiration for all the frontline workers. The best way we all can support those we rely on to keep things going is by sticking to the rules and supporting calls for their wages to reflect the work they all do.

Fennel Wed 06-Jan-21 17:24:30

The only way to help the NHS workers, Police, Teachers etc is to obey the rules to be cautious. And not behave in a way to increase their problems.
IMO the clapping was a sign of superiority on the part of the clappers. As if they're our servants.

JenniferEccles Wed 06-Jan-21 17:24:38

I’m afraid I’m another one who got the wrong idea!!

No I don’t agree with resurrecting the doorstep clap.

The thought behind the initial one was fine but the point was made so why does it have to be brought back ?

The essential services know how we feel from last time.

Kandinsky Wed 06-Jan-21 17:42:31

Very unfortunate thread title.

B9exchange Wed 06-Jan-21 17:48:00

We are supposed to be clapping for 'heroes' this time instead of the NHS, presumably more inclusive. But for all the reasons above I am having nothing to do with it, and I am glad you are in agreement.

I have to confess that the title was deliberate, see, you all clicked to investigate it out of curiosity, didn't you? shows how everyone's minds work! grin

avitorl Wed 06-Jan-21 17:49:33

No, I don't want to do it again. I think just obeying the Rules is a much better way of showing respect for Carers.

Jaxjacky Wed 06-Jan-21 17:53:52

Esspee Great minds...or tawdry!

BlueBelle Wed 06-Jan-21 17:54:25

My NhS family members are saying NO we don’t want it don’t start it again

Katek Wed 06-Jan-21 18:06:45

I thought it was a misnomer the first time round - didn’t join in then and won’t be this time either.

millymouge Wed 06-Jan-21 18:14:21

Ye gods, haven’t seen it called that for ages (ex. nurse). So was quite relieved when I saw what it was about. It’s a good title for getting peoples attention though. Anyway I’m afraid we won’t be doing it.

BlueSky Wed 06-Jan-21 18:18:44

Not this time, once first time around would have been enough. And now it’s freezing as well who’s going to stand on their doorstep?

Grannynannywanny Wed 06-Jan-21 18:28:52

You certainly lured us in with the thread title B9exchange. My thought was “oh no, now there’s going to be a vaccine queue and a penicillin queue!

I did participate first time round but probably not again. It was becoming tiresome listening to my neighbour strolling forward on his path while clapping so he could look along the street. Then retreat back to his doorstep and report to his wife “no 11 is out but 15 and 19 aren’t there”

beverly10 Wed 06-Jan-21 18:29:23

Lemongrove
I to think as you Most definatly change the OP title.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 06-Jan-21 18:30:41

It’s a no from me

Callistemon Wed 06-Jan-21 18:35:29

Jaxjacky

B9exchange do excuse me, but your thread title made me think we had an outbreak of gonorrhoea to worry about too ?

My mind must work differently too!

Likewise another thread title but I haven't commented on that one.

Santana Wed 06-Jan-21 18:37:46

I live in a Close, and in the summer, the Thursday night clap was a good excuse to all come out and say hello, from a distance of course. Checking everyone was ok, and coping.
I was working then, for the NHS, and found their applause rather embarrassing as I wasn't on the front line and didn't deserve their gratitude. To be honest, I just wanted to sit down and put my feet up after working all day.
Bit different standing on the doorstep in the freezing cold, so I won't be doing it I'm afraid.

MamaCaz Wed 06-Jan-21 18:45:06

No from me. I didn't like it the first time around.

I feel huge respect and gratitude towards those on the front line, but found the weekly clapping embarrassing, judgemental and ultimately meaningless, in equal measures.

Hetty58 Wed 06-Jan-21 18:49:54

I know a nurse who works on a Covid ward. Back in March, she begged me not to join in with the 'silly clapping'.

She said a load of hypocrites just went to their doors and clapped like performing seals - while voting for the running down of the NHS.

PollyDolly Wed 06-Jan-21 18:56:42

Me personally, no and the rest of the street will depend on each other. Rather like sheep, they're of the mentality " I will if you will ". It remains to be seen if they turn out or not; very few bothered for Armitice Day which I found a disgrace but hey ho, that's just my opinion!