Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Return of The Clap?

(192 Posts)
B9exchange Wed 06-Jan-21 15:31:22

Sky news is saying there is a push to bring back the 8.00 pm clapping on Thursdays, this time for 'Heroes' instead of the 'NHS'. My instinctive reaction was 'no way am I joining in with that all over again'. It felt daft enough the first time round to be clapping people who could not hear it, and I can't face going back to that, it feels like Groundhog Day.

I have huge respect for everyone working in every part of the care sector, for all essential workers who have kept the Country running over the past year. I am truly grateful to all of them. But what they deserve is a pay rise, not the population of the UK freezing on their doorsteps in the dark once a week, making noises they cannot hear.

If there was a way I could supply a home cooked meal to the doorstep of anyone coming off a long shift, I would leap at the opportunity. Petitions to increase the pay and conditions of essential workers, I'm right there. But I am not doing the clapping again.

annsixty Wed 06-Jan-21 15:37:02

Neither am I, I thought the same as you when I saw it on Facebook.
When something is over it should be over and shouldn’t be revisited.

Doodledog Wed 06-Jan-21 15:37:48

Nor me.

I did it the first couple of times, and think it was a worthwhile gesture. After that, when people started posting details of who clapped and who didn't on the local FB page, and the virtue-signalling began, the shine went off it and I stopped.

I can't see it taking off this time, to be honest.

Grannybags Wed 06-Jan-21 15:43:14

Oh no I hope not!

Can't stand the thought of my neighbour bossing us all around again like she did last time, and looking down on anyone who didn't join in

paddyanne Wed 06-Jan-21 15:56:23

no clapping here either,the WM circus showed what they thought of the keyworkers weh they "delayed" pay rises ..oh and produced a badge they had to pay for .Its all a very bad taste pr exercise in my opinion.I have at last count 9 nurses in my street ,none of them wanted clapped all of them want more nurses on the job,better conditions,and pay rises .All the clapping in the world is no use to any of them

Jaxjacky Wed 06-Jan-21 15:58:01

B9exchange do excuse me, but your thread title made me think we had an outbreak of gonorrhoea to worry about too ?

EllanVannin Wed 06-Jan-21 16:02:18

More to the point if someone went round collecting £1 from everyone.

Juliet27 Wed 06-Jan-21 16:02:34

Me too Jaxjacky. Doesn’t say much for our minds does it?!

Galaxy Wed 06-Jan-21 16:03:14

Well good to know our minds are at the same level Jax, me too.

Fennel Wed 06-Jan-21 16:03:45

And me blush.

Galaxy Wed 06-Jan-21 16:03:48

Cross post Juliet, perhaps we need to form a gang.

SuzannahM Wed 06-Jan-21 16:05:58

Not to mention the number of regulars who clapped for the NHS and other front line workers one night and had a party the next and/or refused to wear masks when out and about.

AGAA4 Wed 06-Jan-21 16:07:54

It should have been done just once as a gesture of appreciation but it went on and on every week and lost something along the way. I wouldn't want it brought back.

Jaxjacky grin crossed my mind too.

MayBee70 Wed 06-Jan-21 16:08:11

I rather hope that most people showed their thanks to the ‘heroes’ at Christmas by giving them tips and presents eg the dustmen, posties, milkmen, small local shops that set up delivery services etc. And that we should continue to say thank you to them whenever we get a chance. I find the clapping an empty gesture. Then again there does seem to be more of a National feeling of ‘pulling together’ this time round so maybe I shouldn’t be so cynical?

BlueBelle Wed 06-Jan-21 16:12:06

Need some antibiotics ?

B9exchange Wed 06-Jan-21 16:14:16

JJacky, have to confess that was my intention, thought it might get a little moe attention that way! ???

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 06-Jan-21 16:17:37

I did it the last time and while it may have boosted morale (lots of neighbours joined in but no-one was nasty about those who didn't) I felt that it was of little practical use. I don't really fancy standing on a cold doorstep going through this again.

Nortsat Wed 06-Jan-21 16:18:54

We didn’t clap last time, the sight of the current Govt clapping and then not voting for a pay rise for nurses, made me feel nauseous.

I am with you, B9 and have signed petitions in support of public sector pay increases.

I think clapping on the doorstep is a self serving, empty gesture.

lemongrove Wed 06-Jan-21 16:22:09

AGAA4

It should have been done just once as a gesture of appreciation but it went on and on every week and lost something along the way. I wouldn't want it brought back.

Jaxjacky grin crossed my mind too.

I agree completely.

Ask HQ to change the OP title to ‘Applause For NHS’?

Franbern Wed 06-Jan-21 16:27:46

Like others here, I joined in this for the first three weeks, then felt it was getting useless, and actually causing problems in some places. Felt all along, that rather than applause, nurses, etc in the NHS needed a decent payrise - but that also is true for so many other front-line workers.

The Government, who was so happy to support the free applause then went on to stop any pay increases, whilst at the same time giving all MP's an enormous payout.

I think it would be insulting to all those front line workers to stand an applaud them, what they need is for all of us to ensure that they get pay rises and safe working conditions.

Ohmother Wed 06-Jan-21 16:31:56

No. Not this time. I respect the NHS workers without a doubt but there are loads more people that do their jobs whatever and they didn’t get a mention. I know there were nurses that were embarrassed by the adoration in the end and wanted it to stop.

Flaxseed Wed 06-Jan-21 16:36:48

I often finished my 12 hour shift on a Thursday and would get home as the neighbours were clapping. I found it so embarrassing, especially as they would all cheer as I got out of the car. Eventually, I started hanging back at work to miss it!
I really hope they don’t bring it back!

eazybee Wed 06-Jan-21 16:39:16

I don't think so.
All we can do is obey the rules, stay at home, and get vaccinated.

Millie22 Wed 06-Jan-21 16:41:39

I do hope it's not what I'm thinking as you need medicine for that ?

Mapleleaf Wed 06-Jan-21 16:49:31

I'm afraid I feel rather cynical about it this time round, so, no, I won't be clapping. That doesn't mean I don't think well of all the people who work so hard through this pandemic, because I do, but I think clapping is pretty useless this time round.