Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Return of The Clap?

(193 Posts)
B9exchange Wed 06-Jan-21 15:31:22

Sky news is saying there is a push to bring back the 8.00 pm clapping on Thursdays, this time for 'Heroes' instead of the 'NHS'. My instinctive reaction was 'no way am I joining in with that all over again'. It felt daft enough the first time round to be clapping people who could not hear it, and I can't face going back to that, it feels like Groundhog Day.

I have huge respect for everyone working in every part of the care sector, for all essential workers who have kept the Country running over the past year. I am truly grateful to all of them. But what they deserve is a pay rise, not the population of the UK freezing on their doorsteps in the dark once a week, making noises they cannot hear.

If there was a way I could supply a home cooked meal to the doorstep of anyone coming off a long shift, I would leap at the opportunity. Petitions to increase the pay and conditions of essential workers, I'm right there. But I am not doing the clapping again.

Urmstongran Thu 07-Jan-21 16:11:49

I think there’s not the appetite for this a second time round.
It will fizzle out like a damp firework.

buylocal Thu 07-Jan-21 16:23:48

Just to add similar feelings to the rest - clapping is an empty gesture and real thanks should be in the salaries and working conditions. I also object to certain groups being singled out for thanks, everyones job makes a contribution to society of some sort and many people of different groups are suffering in different ways. Let's all just get on with doing what we can for who we can when we can including ourselves.

Andymanzi Thu 07-Jan-21 16:29:48

I just saw something which suggested that instead of clapping we take some time on a Thursday evening to write to our MP to ask them for better pay and conditions for nurses, auxiliaries and people who work in health and social care. The horribly performative clap wasn’t for me - I also didn’t like to advertise that I live alone to everyone on my street - but this is something I will definitely do.

Ronniez Thu 07-Jan-21 16:35:58

I'm a nurse and I total agree with U.a pay rise is more important. After 38 years of nursing I have never asked for clapping that I won't hear. Thanks from the patients is enough but pay rise is so much more rewarding and it would encourage people to enter the NHS but I wouldn't encourage anyone to job at the moment. A sad thing to say. I hope everyone stays safe. I enjoy reading all the messages and this is first I have done a reply x

DebKell29 Thu 07-Jan-21 16:38:15

Me neither- what about all key workers such as bin men, police, supermarket staff , bus drivers courts staff etc. All as important but largely unpraised for carrying on

westendgirl Thu 07-Jan-21 16:50:07

Please remember teachers, teaching assistants, dinner ladies etc

cupcake1 Thu 07-Jan-21 16:55:15

No, not this time, it’s beginning to feel patronising now. Like others have posted they need a pay rise to show how appreciated they truly are. I would gladly give money each week/month that would go directly to our local caregivers during these unprecedented times.

MissAdventure Thu 07-Jan-21 16:55:51

The person who tried to organise this has had to withdraw, due to receiving threats, apparently.

I hated the clapping last time, but... threats?!

Nicolaed Thu 07-Jan-21 16:56:24

I think that the thought behind the "clap for heroes" is fine but; it's the wrong time of the year as its cold out there; is it wise to get warm then go out in the cold then get warm again?
Also I believe the best way to support the NHS is follow the rules religiously, isolate, wash hands and wipe everything coming into the house.

Callistemon Thu 07-Jan-21 16:56:49

Oh dear.

Our lovely neighbours have just asked if we will all be out clapping this evening.

EllanVannin Thu 07-Jan-21 17:06:07

Clapping ? When 100's have died ? This is no disrespect to the nursing profession, but I wouldn't clap at a funeral either.
I bet those who've lost loved ones don't feel like clapping !

trisher Thu 07-Jan-21 17:06:15

Tell them you would love to Callistemon but you fear standing in the freezing cold will give you a chill and you'll be a strain on the NHS.

JenniferEccles Thu 07-Jan-21 17:12:26

I have been bracing myself for a phone call from our neighbour too Callistemon !

We have one rather, dare I say, bossy neighbour who kept collaring my husband back in the Spring when it first started!

“So will you and Jennifer be coming out to clap tonight?” was always the question, uttered in a way that “oh yes of course “ was the only acceptable answer!

So far the phone has been blissfully silent !

I will make a point of peering out at 8 to see if anyone is out, but I doubt there will be.

Lesley60 Thu 07-Jan-21 17:23:43

I’m a retired nurse and totally agree with everything you have said B9.

MissAdventure Thu 07-Jan-21 18:25:45

I'll go outside, turn cartwheels, clap and whoop when we have definite proof that the virus is being thwarted.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 07-Jan-21 18:34:09

I think this might prove to be much more effective

Why don't we tweet, email and write to our MPs en masse at 8pm every Thursday to ask them to do their bit to ensure frontline key and essential workers are paid a decent liveable wage instead. Sort of a #ThunderclapForCarers instead. And from indoors, where we're meant to be. twitter.com/CarlSMcQueen/s…

ReadyMeals Thu 07-Jan-21 19:14:06

I don't think it's a good idea and it's actually technically against the rules as it becomes a group outdoor activity if its something we all arrange to do together. Inevitably people start calling over to each other, can't hear, so go a bit closer... Even health workers are asking us to forget clapping and stay indoors.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 07-Jan-21 20:12:51

No clapping around here

FannyCornforth Thu 07-Jan-21 20:17:40

Nope. Nothing here. Thank goodness.

BlueBelle Thu 07-Jan-21 20:25:35

My NHS family have said please don’t it’s an insult
Not one person out here thankfully
A big zero

lemongrove Thu 07-Jan-21 20:27:16

jocork

First time around we needed to feel that sense of solidarity, and having a chat with our neighbours on a sunny evening was really good for morale. On a cold January in the darkness it would seem really pointless. If we want to do something positive let's 'STAY HOME, PROTECT THE NHS, SAVE LIVES!'

??
I completely agree.

twiglet77 Thu 07-Jan-21 21:18:27

It's a daft idea that helps nobody. I'm usually at work, on a supermarket till, when they announce on the tannoy that we're all about to clap. It's actually quite insulting. Pay frontline staff properly (yes, including supermarket workers) and protect them properly. No amount of clapping will do either, moral support doesn't pay the bills, doesn't save lives, and certainly doesn't protect the NHS. The vast majority of supermarket customers could try protecting the NHS by shopping far less frequently, and shopping alone, remembering their masks and social distancing, and not picking things up for close examination - and breathing all over them - before putting them back on the shelves. Someone the other day was taking tops off the shower gels to sniff them... it beggars belief.

BlueSky Thu 07-Jan-21 21:38:25

No one here thankfully. We weren’t going to anyway, felt ridiculous enough first time round and yes this time actually felt patronising.

annsixty Thu 07-Jan-21 22:45:31

I am going totally out on a limb now to say I wouldn’t be clapping anyway, but ,and it is a big but, I give hearty thanks to the ones in the NHS who are giving their all at this time to the job, whether that is on COVID wards or covering in general wards for those who are.
What about the others, present in any profession, walk of life and every other job who still don’t give of their best.
Who are rude to patients and family, who ignore patients needs and generally are not suited to the job.
Whether we like to admit it or not we have all met them, staff on wards can enhance a stay or totally ruin it for patients and family alike.
How can we reward the ones who truly deserve a big pay rise without rewarding the ones who can make life very difficult.
I have a close friend in hospital presently whose family are despairing at the attitude of some staff when they are phoning for information.
Yes, the staff are overworked, could not a ward clerk give out information to desperate relatives.
My friends Daughter, worrying herself sick was told as her mother was not eating or talking there was really nothing to say.
She has been proactive in insisting on tests being carried out and speaking to Drs.
The news today is more reassuring but everyone will not persist as she has.
Let us not call them all heroes and angels.
Some of them are not.
My opinion now has been expressed, I will now carry on with my book in my bed.

Chewbacca Thu 07-Jan-21 22:58:26

One of my young neighbours is a nurse on a maternity ward and she told me this afternoon that she's been working a 70 hour week for the past 9 weeks. This is because a) many other nurses on her department have been moved to COVID wards b) several of her colleagues are either ill with COVID themselves or are having to isolate because they've come into contact with COVID c) the maternity departments at 2 other hospitals have closed, due to COVID, and so are being redirected to her hospital. She said that on any given shift, they're at least 40% down on staff numbers.
I asked her if she was pleased that clapping was starting again tonight. She just gave me a withering look and said "NO! Just stay indoors, wear a mask, wash your hands and don't get pregnant!" chance would be a fine thing