Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

What DO you say?

(44 Posts)
GagaJo Sun 10-Jan-21 10:52:09

I have a friend. Otherwise we are of a very like mind politically, socially, educationally. I THOUGHT we were of a like mind re the virus too. She masks, distances etc. There was no sign she was an anti vaxxer.

But today, this...

I hate the term "anti vaxxer" and feel it makes people who want to make an informed decision on what they put in their body look paranoid! I've had the flu and pneumonia jab for the first time last year and my kids had all required vaccines but I will be damned if I will be pressured into something or anything orchestrated by this bunch of bastards in govt who have a track record of lying, thieving and causing thousands of excess deaths until I see how others are affected. Quite all right working from home and staying distanced for now thank you.

What DO I say in response? For the first half an hour or so, I was just shocked. But I am horrified by her.

Callistemon Mon 11-Jan-21 10:12:12

gt66

*until I see how others are affected*

That's the part that I would object to! She's happy to sit back and let others be the guinea pigs!

I suppose most of us have done that, though, unless we volunteered to be part of the trials which were, of necessity, speedier than normal.

gt66 Mon 11-Jan-21 06:29:51

until I see how others are affected

That's the part that I would object to! She's happy to sit back and let others be the guinea pigs!

Chewbacca Mon 11-Jan-21 00:14:35

It wasn't a private conversation

Well it certainly isn't now! grin

GagaJo Sun 10-Jan-21 22:39:23

It was on social media, published for whoever follows her to see. It wasn't a private conversation rafichagran.

rafichagran Sun 10-Jan-21 22:31:56

I think it's sad you chose to post about her personnel opinions on Gransnet.
I think this should have been left between the two of you. I would not like a friend to post about me on Gransnet.

MissAdventure Sun 10-Jan-21 22:18:38

Her body, her choice.
I feel pretty uncomfortable about the vaccine, myself.

I'm in no position to decline it though; too much at stake.

nadateturbe Sun 10-Jan-21 22:13:14

I think everyone is entitled to their opinion. I have friends who have differing views on many topics, no reason to stop speaking..
I am still undecided about the vaccine. My choice. But I won't put anyone else in danger.

GagaJo Sun 10-Jan-21 20:56:22

I don't think it is a falling out situation Chewbacca. As much as I want the vaccine, I don't post about it on my social media. So to make a comment like the one my friend did, means she wants it to be talked about.

I think most anti vaxxers are pretty quiet about it, other than among themselves, because they know they will be roundly castigated.

Callistemon Sun 10-Jan-21 20:51:54

On the whole, if I read posts on FB or receive emails from friends with different views, I skip past them or delete emails.

I may disagree with some of what they say but, if our friendship is a longstanding one, it will endure differences of opinion.

Callistemon Sun 10-Jan-21 20:46:57

You could send her some scientific, well-researched links and hope she reads them.

Otherwise, there's not a lot you can say except that we are all entitled to an opinion and it is up to her if she wants to stay isolated.

I do wonder about the 3 month gap.

Yes, I hope she's not on GN and reading this.

Aldom Sun 10-Jan-21 19:57:44

Lucca Good post. I totally agree.

Lucca Sun 10-Jan-21 19:03:30

Well I’m sorry but FannyCornforth I do not think you have it right. You Are reading something into OP which ain’t there! A lot of that going on on GN at the moment.

Chewbacca Sun 10-Jan-21 19:01:26

Kim19 @ 12.35 makes perfect sense and I agree entirely. There's no need for your friends decision to impact on you or alter your friendship unless you allow it to. She's following all other scientific advice. GagaJo you can only make decisions about what you do; you have no jurisdiction on what others do, no matter how much you might disagree with them. So if you want to fall out with her.... You can.

petra Sun 10-Jan-21 18:57:23

Fanny
I think you have it in one ?

Sparklefizz Sun 10-Jan-21 18:56:48

Davida1968

This is worth persuing:
www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/nov/26/heres-how-to-tackle-the-covid-19-anti-vaxxers

Excellent article. Thanks for the link Davida1968

FannyCornforth Sun 10-Jan-21 18:52:35

So, she is your friend, and yet you discuss her on here with strangers. Is that ok?
So that everyone can tell you how stupid she is and how marvellous you are? Is that ok?

lemongrove Sun 10-Jan-21 18:50:33

25Avalon

But one can make an informed decision whether to have the vaccine or not. It is not compulsory and if you don’t trust the government there are loads of scientific articles out there to read. If your friend does that and still doesn’t want the vaccine that’s her choice. No need to fall out over it provided she accepts GagaJo that you have the right to think differently.

I agree, good post.
I think I may also tell her that had a Labour government been in power, the scientific community would have worked just as hard and fast to produce this vaccine.

aonk Sun 10-Jan-21 18:43:58

I wonder if this is some kind of emotional reaction? When it was first mentioned that the vaccine would soon be ready I admit to being very sceptical indeed. I kept my thoughts to myself but was really unhappy about having it. I’ve thought about it much more carefully and am now hoping to have it when my turn comes. If I were still sceptical I would have it to help allay the anxiety my lovely DDs have about me.

M0nica Sun 10-Jan-21 18:16:48

As in any medical circumstance we all make our own decisions. When DH had all the tests that preceded this bypass op the surgeon explained all about the op and its dangers etc etc, he then said 'if you do not have this operation you are likely to die within the next year.

DH was entirely free to decide to not have the op and accept that his death was imminent, and there may be some who have made this choice. He had the op and is recovering.

My response to this email would be to say that in any medical situation the patient is free to accept or reject the treatment intervention she is offered and any decision about this vaccination is no different.

As to the political nonsense, I would just tell her it is irrelevant and not to mix medicine and politics.

cornishpatsy Sun 10-Jan-21 14:20:59

My mother has refused the vaccine. I have told her that she will not have visitors for many months as nobody wants to be responsible for her catching the virus.

Kate54 Sun 10-Jan-21 14:07:12

My response to this kind of dangerous rubbish? Why on earth would the Government lie about vaccines when the economy and NHS are being destroyed by this virus? It’s a battle and they need to win it.

Smileless2012 Sun 10-Jan-21 13:08:49

She's free to make her own decision just as we all are.

I agree Oopsadaisy constant accusations that our government perpetually lies and cannot be trusted merely fuels a belief that they must be lying about the vaccines too.

sodapop Sun 10-Jan-21 12:35:01

Way to go twinnytwin I think, people are entitled to their views. Given time the lady concerned may change her mind so don't fall out over this.

Kim19 Sun 10-Jan-21 12:35:01

I get a bit confused when we're so judgemental with friends. Mine would have her say, of course, and then I would tell her, irrespective of all the rhetoric, that I thought she was wrong. In fact I might be so irreverent as to tell her I thought she was blooming nuts but....and it's a big but..... in the end our relationship will not have altered one bit. We live and let live and I'm so glad she's in my life.

twinnytwin Sun 10-Jan-21 12:25:12

A friend included me in an email with information against the vaccine. I just sent a simple message back asking her not to include me in any other similar emails. I kept in simple and friendly and she responded with a x. No need to fall out.