Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Jumping Vaccine Queue

(155 Posts)
Mary62 Mon 11-Jan-21 18:19:11

I can't help feeling upset. My younger sister (59 years) her husband and 2 adult sons have received vaccine from their DIL who is a GP. Apparently vaccine was spare at the end of the day.
I know I should feel happy for them but can't help feeling that there must have been others higher in the queue who could have been given these spare vaccines. I wish my sister hadn't told me her family were vaccinated.

deedee27 Tue 12-Jan-21 09:36:01

My cousin in Israel says that people are told that if there’s spare vaccine at the end of the day, anyone hanging around outside the vaccination centre can have it, so as not to waste it..!

Lilyflower Tue 12-Jan-21 09:37:40

The pragmatic decision to use the spare vaccine on anyone whether or not they 'deserve' it - as a benefit to all in the long run - is essentially a small-c conservative viewpoint. Most people have supported this viewpoint on this thread which is why, despite the public narrative supporting the idea of 'Tories' as 'nasty', the Conservatives keep being elected.

Think about the opposite view: if everyone can't have it, no one should. That is the attitude of some other political parties.

Whiff Tue 12-Jan-21 09:38:43

I don't care who has it in which order as long as everyone who can have it does. If you have a medical reason you can't have it that's fine. But there will be those who won't have it because they are idiots. I have said before it should be compulsory for everyone. That way we protect ourselves and those people who can't have it. Hate to think doses have been thrown away because people don't keep there appointments. They should be fined. I know some won't agree. But if you have to pay £50 for missed appointment without a rock solid reason appointments will be kept.

ReadyMeals Tue 12-Jan-21 09:39:23

Mary62 I prefer to see it that you're not upset your sister got it earlier than expected, more that you're upset you've not had it yet. You're understandably keen to feel safe as soon as possible. But be reassured that had your sister said "no that wouldn't be fair to my older sister" it wouldn't have got you yours any sooner.

Liz46 Tue 12-Jan-21 09:40:37

A neighbour works for our local surgery. She knows I have been obeying all the rules and says she doesn't know how we have done it (my husband has shielded with me).

We had a brief chat about the vaccine and she asked if I could go anytime and I said 'yes, of course', so maybe I'll get lucky.

Lollin Tue 12-Jan-21 09:40:37

Excellent system deedee27

At the end of the day it's not just what you know, but who you know! I can understand your immediate thought mary62 but it is excellent that it helped some not to go to waste.

Shropshirelass Tue 12-Jan-21 09:43:00

The quicker we are vaccinated the better and cannot afford to waste any of this precious vaccine.

eazybee Tue 12-Jan-21 09:45:42

Surely there would be other patients next in the queue who could have been contacted at short notice and offered the vaccine if they could arrive quickly? Four family members, adults way below the age, all available immediately. Really?

Extremely unprofessional; should be reported, and probably will be, as they are clearly telling others.

Daisymae Tue 12-Jan-21 09:47:32

There should be a reserve list in priority order according to government guidance. It's not rocket science and this is obviously nepotism, I think that your instincts are right.

sazz1 Tue 12-Jan-21 09:50:51

Had a blood test yesterday and chatting to the nurse she told me doctor's surgery staff were offered vaccine as there were several left over. They had Pfizer and Oxford left over as several people didn't turn up so she had a choice. I'm pleased my doctor's surgery staff are vaccinated as I feel safer going there now.

wendyann23 Tue 12-Jan-21 09:51:30

I can understand your frustration but think it is far better for the vaccine to be used than to be thrown away.

4allweknow Tue 12-Jan-21 09:54:14

Sure the DIL has given the excess vaccine to others who also didn't fit the specific vaccine group currently entitled. Apparently it's standard procedure - use the vaccine rather than waste it. Go stand in a queue at the end of the day, you too may be lucky.

LauraNorder Tue 12-Jan-21 09:55:52

Agree with the majority, better that someone has the spare than see it binned. Personally I’d be thrilled to know that some of my family were protected.
The more that are vaccinated the safer we all are.

Kingy Tue 12-Jan-21 09:56:12

Hi my mum is 88 and bedbound I’m her full time carer I’m 66 and I live with her I’m asthmatic no where can I see when she will be vaccinated or myself as it doesn’t state people ove 80 at home we’re classed as vunerable a friend took her mum yesterday for hers she’s was vaccinated the daughter and her husband no appointment for the daughter and husband just gave it to them where’s the top 4 I understand they don’t want to waste but we have been in full lockdown since last March please don’t tell contact dr as there on special measures so many blunders with them no faith at all with her Gp surgery

Sparkling Tue 12-Jan-21 09:57:00

I am all for using the vaccine instead of wasting it. Would be pleased my sister and family had it.

GoldenAge Tue 12-Jan-21 09:57:39

Mary62 - would you rather those vaccines went to waste which is what would have happened? Envy is one of the seven deadly sins isn't it - don't let this ruin your relationship with your family, and isn't it about time that frontline workers were able to realise some perks of the job? I'm in full agreement with the idea of not wasting vaccine and if GPs think it's likely they'll have some left over, of them ringing their friends and family who they know will use it than binning it.

Nanna58 Tue 12-Jan-21 09:57:46

How sad that you see it as queue jumping OP instead of just being glad they are protected,

Craicon Tue 12-Jan-21 09:58:28

Good grief! I agree with you OP.

It’s all very well saying that they’d waste the vaccine otherwise, but if they had a properly organised procedure, then the next people down on the priority list could have had their jabs too.

The 2 adult sons especially would have been well down on the list of priorities and probably not due to get a jab until the autumn, unless they had specific medical conditions.

Presumably, they’ll now be given an actual appointment slot for their second jab?

If the GP practices know that there will be some vaccines left over on most days, then the government should have a proper procedure laid out for this.

Virtually all my friends in their 70’s and above have cars and can drive. Older people who CAN get themselves to the surgery within 20 minutes should be telephoned, not younger healthy friends and family.

This smacks of typical Tory style nepotism.

If we can persuade the supermarkets to give leftover food to food banks and homeless charities, then this shouldn’t be difficult to manage?

Nashville Tue 12-Jan-21 10:08:56

Yes, I too would be annoyed. Currently attending chemo clinic. Wouldn’t mind first dibs on the vaccine as would the other circa 300 chemo patients seen weekly at the Centre I attend. Can’t think why the gp dil didn’t prioritise. Does she vote Tory? All gold pathway patients clearly listed at gps. Means little during these Covid times.

Teddy123 Tue 12-Jan-21 10:09:18

Be happy for her ??

LyWa Tue 12-Jan-21 10:12:46

I am a volunteer Marshall at a COVID vaccination centre. It is tucked away and not on a public thoroughfare. Last Saturday, at 6pm, the end of the session, there was some vaccine left, it wouldn’t last until the next session, so the GPs asked us volunteers if we would like it - we had to be over 50, but of course we said yes. Waiting for others to be phoned and then turn up wasn’t practicable, we’d been there all day as it was. It seemed the sensible thing to do, rather than see it binned, but I do feel slightly guilty and I’m not telling friends I’ve had it.

Aepgirl Tue 12-Jan-21 10:14:16

I thought GOs were not allowed to treat their own family members. How stupid and irresponsible of your sister to tell you.
Of course it shouldn’t go to waste, but families should not get the first offer - there are others more deserving who could attend at short notice.

Toadinthehole Tue 12-Jan-21 10:15:38

Don’t get upset. It may have been wasted if they’d tried to contact people in the queue. Remember....the more of us get vaccinated, the quicker it’ll all be over. On the news last night, they were interviewing ICU staff, who were saying large numbers of young, so people in their 30’s and 40’s, were coming in. A few had died?. No underlying health problems. Our turn will come.

Atqui Tue 12-Jan-21 10:16:02

Craicon re appointment for second jab , I was offered jab when I accompanied my husband ,86, for his jab at a hospital hub. We missed the boat for the 3-4week booster - he has an appointment for 10 week booster but they wouldn’t give me one as I’m in my seventies. So do I have to go back to square 1 and have 3 jabs? I didn’t ask to “ jump the Q” I think it was a case of not wasting the vaccine, but I agree with OP that the GP could have found someone further up the line to offer it to.

2420mags Tue 12-Jan-21 10:20:36

One clinic had 45 booked patients who did not turn up for their vaccination so as far as l am concerned anything that combats wastage is welcome. Those who did not turn up should be charged and go to the back of their age group co hort UNLESS they were ill with covert or the like. Even then what stops them or a friend / relative to ring up and cancel. There really is no excuse