Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Jumping Vaccine Queue

(154 Posts)
Mary62 Mon 11-Jan-21 18:19:11

I can't help feeling upset. My younger sister (59 years) her husband and 2 adult sons have received vaccine from their DIL who is a GP. Apparently vaccine was spare at the end of the day.
I know I should feel happy for them but can't help feeling that there must have been others higher in the queue who could have been given these spare vaccines. I wish my sister hadn't told me her family were vaccinated.

midgey Mon 11-Jan-21 18:21:18

I think the problem is that the vaccine has to be used up quickly so any left at the end of the queue is inevitably going to go to any one near to hand or able to move speedily.

BlueBelle Mon 11-Jan-21 18:24:00

Not worth getting upset over if they were available and others weren’t better to use it up than throw it away
We ll all get a go at some point

Lucretzia Mon 11-Jan-21 18:25:15

Far worth putting it to good use than throwing it away.

Ellianne Mon 11-Jan-21 18:25:26

Good for their DiL, far better than it going to waste. There may have been others higher in the queue but at the end of the day, in the dark and cold, far better to call up those who are fit and able to turn out.
I would be pleased for my sister and family.

keepingquiet Mon 11-Jan-21 18:27:08

Yep- the vaccine will be used rather than throw it away. It may have just been easier and quicker to ring someone she knew. They may even have arranged it for just such an eventuality. Try not to be resentful- each person vaccinated is a step nearer freedom for us all.

welbeck Mon 11-Jan-21 18:30:24

yes, it's a question of what is practicable.
some people do not turn up for appts, they may be ill, and the alternative is to waste those doses.
if people are around and able to come immediately, it is better to use the doses. this also benefits all of us indirectly.
if you are mobile perhaps you could hang about outside vaccination hubs at close of day and try to get any left over.

EllanVannin Mon 11-Jan-21 18:30:40

I don't see a problem particularly when I read that some vaccines had to be dumped. Plus the usual DNA's after appointments were made for them.

Opal Mon 11-Jan-21 18:33:29

I'd rather see a vaccination going into someone's arm, than in the bin.

BlueSky Mon 11-Jan-21 18:56:52

Commendable really. As others have said the vaccine must be used quickly not to waste it and the GP might have tried to contact other patients without success too.

Oldbat1 Mon 11-Jan-21 19:12:16

I know locally they will ring people last minute and/or they have been offering it to nhs staff. I know someone actually administering the vaccine who managed to get one herself at end of day. Seemingly gp group were saying that most of the vials could do 6 instead of the expected 5. Better than wasting it anyway.

GrannySomerset Mon 11-Jan-21 19:18:55

Our local group of GP practices rings round towards the end of the afternoon to ensure that no vaccine is wasted. Seems eminently sensible to me.

NotSpaghetti Mon 11-Jan-21 19:39:11

I would feel as you do Mary62. This strikes me as nepotism.
I would have thought there would be plenty of other people who could become available at no notice.

Obviously you don't want to waste it but it just feels extremely convenient.

Tangerine Mon 11-Jan-21 19:50:05

I do see the point you are making but one good thing is that, when people in their age groups are being vaccinated, your sister and the other three will already have been "done".

As NotSpaghetti said just above me, it could be called nepotism and someone else more needy might have been found at short notice but I suppose it isn't always as easy as it sounds.

Be pleased your sister and family are now safer.

Doodle Mon 11-Jan-21 20:12:48

In the papers today there was an article about 45 vaccines being thrown away as the people who had booked appointments didn’t turn up. The doctors and nurses phoned anyone they could think of to have the jab rather than waste it. A sensible idea I think.
Is there anyone on this thread, who given the chance, wouldn’t vaccinate their family and loved ones rather than throw the vaccine away?

BlueSapphire Mon 11-Jan-21 21:04:56

Two of my friends have had theirs early because they were volunteer marshals at the vaccination centre, and there was vaccine left over at the end of the day. Would have been a sin to let it go to waste.

ElaineI Mon 11-Jan-21 22:28:19

Better than throwing it out as that's what would happen. Highlights how many people miss appointments - very selfish to do that.

welbeck Mon 11-Jan-21 22:40:29

some people miss appts because they simply cannot get there; they may be ill and unable to contact.
i have seen this happen with a neighbour who was an emergency case, nearly fatal, then the same hosp she was in for 6 weeks with multiple surgeries, were writing to her home address stating she would be dropped for non attendance at out-patients.
as for nepotism re vaccines, how many frail elderly could turn on a sixpence and attend GPs'/distant hub within 20 minutes. might be hazardous to try.
much better to use rather than waste such a precious commodity. who gets it is less important, imo.

Callistemon Mon 11-Jan-21 23:40:37

Better to use it than bin it, which would have been wasteful.

Feel happy that they are now on the way to being protected and mention to your niece that if it happens again, you will be happy to come in at short notice rather than let it go in the bin.

mokryna Tue 12-Jan-21 00:10:15

Oldbat1

I know locally they will ring people last minute and/or they have been offering it to nhs staff. I know someone actually administering the vaccine who managed to get one herself at end of day. Seemingly gp group were saying that most of the vials could do 6 instead of the expected 5. Better than wasting it anyway.

The vials do have enough for 6 injections, we have been told in France and are being calculated to inoculate six people, so as not to waste any.

NannyDaft Tue 12-Jan-21 09:25:03

I am so glad it was used rather wasted ! Good move I think .

Rileysnana Tue 12-Jan-21 09:30:31

I agree with everyone else it would be idiotic to let it go to waste. Anyone able to get there at the end of the day is welcome to it. Older or more vulnerable people would be less likely to get there last minute. The more vaccinated the sooner its over.

amberlee Tue 12-Jan-21 09:30:45

If the situation had been reversed what would you have done? Say no don't vaccinate my family?

Rosina Tue 12-Jan-21 09:31:58

I read that nurses were ringing friends to come in and have the vaccine that would otherwise be wasted - makes absolute sense as far as I can see; why not offer it to someone who will be able to attend quickly? We will all get our turn, and this way the job will be completed faster.

JdotJ Tue 12-Jan-21 09:33:06

I think it's a very good idea to use up the vaccine rather than it go to waste