Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Jumping Vaccine Queue

(155 Posts)
Mary62 Mon 11-Jan-21 18:19:11

I can't help feeling upset. My younger sister (59 years) her husband and 2 adult sons have received vaccine from their DIL who is a GP. Apparently vaccine was spare at the end of the day.
I know I should feel happy for them but can't help feeling that there must have been others higher in the queue who could have been given these spare vaccines. I wish my sister hadn't told me her family were vaccinated.

MamaCaz Thu 14-Jan-21 13:33:24

I learned today that our surgery has a "list' of people to call in for left-over vaccines. (OH found out during a phone consultation with a doctor.)

I don't know what the criteria are for being put on that list.
It seems that my OH, in the 70-75 age-group can't - they are working their way through the upper age groups in a strict order, with no queue jumping allowed.
I, however, 14 years younger, can go on the list!

EllanVannin Thu 14-Jan-21 12:57:29

Unless it's the surgery or the local chemist, both where I can walk to, I don't know what'll happen. It doesn't make sense.

EllanVannin Thu 14-Jan-21 12:54:50

I had to cancel on account of a transport problem. I wasn't going to get a bus or a " well-used " taxi to where I had to go. Why, when told not to use public transport, do I get an appointment which is impossible to reach without using either ?

Sassieannie Thu 14-Jan-21 12:32:09

Theoldwrinkley. Please clarify why the admin should be had up for gross negligence..... what about those who didn't turn up - they're the ones who wasted the NHS's time and resources.

CanadianGran Thu 14-Jan-21 03:27:23

It's too bad the vaccination centres cannot have a call list for these occasions. I know it would be a bit extra to administer, but having a short list of 50 people for example, all getting calls and first come first served within the time slot.

Our local pharmacy compiled a list for the flu shot this year for appointments, but also asked if you were available on short notice in case an opening came up.

Sealover Thu 14-Jan-21 02:48:22

I have been volunteering at my local Health Centre yesterday afternoon, marshalling patients into rooms for vaccination. I was astonished but thrilled to have been offered a jab at the end of the day as there were some doses left over that would otherwise have had to been thrown away.

llizzie2 Thu 14-Jan-21 02:27:26

Perhaps your relatives have health issues they do not want to discuss with you, and are therefore on the vulnerable list.

There are all sorts of reasons for vaccinating under 80s.

It would be a really good idea if there was a slot on here somewhere to tell us how you are afterwards.

Elrel Thu 14-Jan-21 00:16:44

Theoldwrinkley. That is so sad, what a senseless waste.

Naninka Thu 14-Jan-21 00:06:23

They can call me. I'm a teacher and am scared to be in school.

Jaxjacky Wed 13-Jan-21 20:10:47

Good, pleased it wasn’t wasted, staff organising this massive programme are commendable, doubt they’d appreciate others two penny worth on how they could do it better. And if it was my sister I certainly wouldn’t be posting about it, detrimentally or not.

Theoldwrinkley Wed 13-Jan-21 19:45:32

Well done to DiL. A relative of mine is nurse in a regional (university, teaching hospital) where 160+ vaccines were thrown away as their intended recipients hadn’t turned up. Nurses were on site and willing, but weren’t offered the opportunity. The admin should have beenhad up for gross negligence.

Rowsie Wed 13-Jan-21 11:02:08

I have been volunteering in a vaccination centre and at the end of the day, if people haven't turned up, any vaccine left over can not be kept for the next day. Therefore they ring whoever they can to see who can get in (within 30 minutes) to have the vaccine. They are prioritising health care workers and the volunteers but sometimes it is better to give it to anyone rather than let it go to waste.

Mamma66 Wed 13-Jan-21 09:20:02

We are all afraid and I think sometimes fear doesn’t always bring out the best in us. The NHS are doing a fantastic job on every level, not only are they putting themselves at risk on a daily basis, the logistics of mass and speedy vaccination of the whole population is a challenge they have risen too. I think it is laudable that they are using vaccines that would have been thrown away otherwise and remember every person vaccinated is a step closer to getting out of this nightmare crisis...

Callistemon Tue 12-Jan-21 23:52:11

I'm past my use by date now

Well, quite often I feel past my 'best before date' but I hope I'm not past my use by date yet and I'm sure you're not either, Pussanne.

Casdon Tue 12-Jan-21 23:11:46

I feel sad for you Pussanne as you say you feel past your use by date and have no fear of the virus, you might find some of the other threads on gransnet will help you, there are some lovely supportive people on here.

Witzend Tue 12-Jan-21 23:06:44

If it was otherwise going to be wasted, I don’t see an issue, though it may seem rather unfair.
If it was the Pfizer one, it’s extremely fussy about how it’s stored, and for how long out of the super-cold fridges, and from what I’ve read is a lot more expensive than the Oxford one.

Callistemon Tue 12-Jan-21 23:00:01

and really who in their right mind will have a virtually untested "fix" jabbed into themselves?

It has been tested, yes I will and I think I am in my right mind Pussanne.
Of course, it's an interesting point - will New Zealand escape this virus until it has peaked or those in the rest of the world have been vaccinated or developed natural immunity?
The Australian vaccine had a hitch during research. Was NZ planning on using that one?

Pussanne Tue 12-Jan-21 22:55:55

I have to say it's interesting to read overseas comments about getting this vaccine by "being on a list". I have no idea what the New Zealand Government plans to do in this regard when and if a vaccine becomes available here.
I intend to use a wait and see approach, rather than rushing into getting vaccinated. I'm past my use by date now and feel no fear of this virus in spite of what the 'experts' say.... and really who in their right mind will have a virtually untested "fix" jabbed into themselves?

jools66 Tue 12-Jan-21 22:18:55

I work in a large GP practice, this is common practice, each vial of the vaccine is earmarked for 10 patients, there is in fact enough for 11 or 12 doses in a vial, the extra is to allow for margin of error therefore if you have experienced nurses administering the vaccine you will have extra left at the end of the day which has to be used relatively quickly or discarded, if you give it to someone who might be seen as "jumping the queue" you are in fact speeding up the process for others further down the queue. I just want to see the population vaccinated asap.
Incidentally, I had my vaccination on Sunday and have been feeling pretty awful since - I did still soldier into work thoughsmile

sunnybean60 Tue 12-Jan-21 20:23:26

Although I agree with most if not all the points made it is also human nature to feel either a tad annoyed that the vaccine did not go to more vulnerable individuals and as someone who is waiting in line I feel envious and I think that is a normal. As others have said though the more people that are vaccinated and this liquid used fully should help us all.

Maggiemaybe Tue 12-Jan-21 19:44:13

The OP doesn’t come across to me as someone jealous of her family’s good luck, btw. I might be wrong, but think she’s just feeling embarrassed at what she sees as her relative being guilty of a bit of nepotism. The posts accusing her of sour grapes, etc are a bit harsh, imho, and I’m sure she’ll feel relieved that the vast majority of people on here can’t see a problem.

Maggiemaybe Tue 12-Jan-21 19:21:39

It’s so much better than the vaccines going to waste. I know someone who is a carer for her mother, and they both got the jab as an added extra when the mother had a routine appointment. It might technically be queue jumping, but was an efficient way of getting it done.

EmilyHarburn Tue 12-Jan-21 18:42:53

Absolutely fine that the vaccine was used. My friend had to go in the evening, lost her way, had to reverse the car, landed up hitting a low wall and never got to her appointment. Whilst she waited to be towed away, her daughter rang them as the session was on and hopefully someone got vaccinated who was not on the list for that day.

anxiousgran Tue 12-Jan-21 18:30:54

To be clear, I’m happy my friends got their vaccine. Two appointments off the list now as well.

Hobbs1 Tue 12-Jan-21 18:22:26

Sounds like very sour grapes to me