Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Joan Bakewell vaccine legal challenge

(158 Posts)
Chestnut Tue 12-Jan-21 14:16:43

Joan Bakewell is crowdfunding a legal challenge because the second dose of the vaccine is supposed to be given within 21 days and now it is up to 12 weeks which may not be safe.
Joan Bakewell legal challenge
I wouldn't be very happy with this wait because you are not protected. A nurse who had the vaccine in December has caught covid in January. I'm sure a lot of people will think they're protected after one dose which puts them in danger, whereas in reality we will have to continue to self isolate even after having the first dose.

Callistemon Tue 19-Jan-21 21:20:51

Friends in England have already had two doses of the Pfizer vaccine.

Eloethan Tue 19-Jan-21 21:35:32

I have got to the point where I don't really trust what anyone says, as the story keeps changing all the time.

janeainsworth Tue 19-Jan-21 21:41:26

Eloethan I think the thing to do is follow individuals who you think trustworthy.
For me it’s Dr John Campbell, Prof Tim Spector, and Prof Devi Sridhar.

biba70 Tue 19-Jan-21 22:35:50

but how do you decide who is trustworthy? I am glad some else have opened a new thread on findings in Israel re gap between doses.

I certainly agree it is confusin, for sure. But you confuse me even more- you say it is good that experts disagree- and yet you only agree with those who disagree in the way you agree. Either it is good to disagree and to re-assess, or it is not.

janeainsworth Wed 20-Jan-21 07:20:46

Biba but how do you decide who is trustworthy
Trust is partly based on instinct, but if you are talking about scientists, and you want an objective definition, if someone can back up their assertion with evidence, if what they say is rational and logical, if they are capable of expressing their thoughts clearly and succinctly, and if they appear to have no political or financial motives for what they assert.
you say it is good that experts disagree
I said it’s good that evidence is continually reviewed and that minds are open as to how best practice needs to change in the light of new evidence. This inevitably involves people changing their opinions and disagreeing with each other.

yet you only agree with those who disagree in the way you agree I have no idea what this sentence means - please don’t accuse me of expressing myself in such a gobbledygook manner.

grannyrebel7 Wed 20-Jan-21 08:08:59

This idea was Tony Blair's suggestion. As far as I'm aware he has no medical qualifications. Other countries are not making people wait 12 weeks in-between jabs. I just hope this will have the safe efficacy as having a three week gap. I would back Joan Bakewell on this.

M0nica Wed 20-Jan-21 08:21:12

Grannyrebel Tony Blair may not have ay medical qualifications but I am sure he took medical advice before he made the statement he did.