Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Norway Covid Pfizer Vaccine Deaths

(170 Posts)
Esspee Fri 15-Jan-21 22:23:07

Investigations are being made into the deaths of 23 frail elderly patients shortly after receiving the Pfizer vaccine.
Why is the media in the U.K. not reporting this?

Source BMJ.com

Casdon Fri 15-Jan-21 22:31:48

Probably because the article also says that the authorities in Norway say it’s not different than they would expect in this group of patients, so non-news?
www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n149

lemsip Fri 15-Jan-21 22:34:57

in Norway!

www.ndtv.com/world-news/norway-warns-of-vaccination-risks-for-sick-elderly-patients-after-23-die-2353257
also in www.express.co.uk/news/world/1384728/Covid-vaccine-latest-side-effects-Pfizer-jab-23-dead-Norway-coronavirus-update
so is reported in the uk media. also the sun.

growstuff Fri 15-Jan-21 22:36:13

The Sun, Express and DM have reported on it.

growstuff Fri 15-Jan-21 22:36:37

Snap lemsip

MissAdventure Sat 16-Jan-21 05:23:21

Norway have altered the advice on the vaccine for the very frail and very elderly, although they have said fatalities are extremely rare.

NotSpaghetti Sat 16-Jan-21 07:37:21

I think the report these came from was Bloomberg

Elegran Sat 16-Jan-21 08:16:14

What percentage of elderly patients normally die in the same time span, of other causes and without having had the vaccination? Without this info, we don't know how relevant the vaccination is. The figures for those with the virus, on the other hand, are known and alarming.

Madsen said. “We are not alarmed or worried about this, because these are very rare occurrences and they occurred in very frail patients with very serious disease,” he emphasised. “We are now asking for doctors to continue with the vaccination, but to carry out extra evaluation of very sick people whose underlying condition might be aggravated by it.” British Medical Journal

Lucretzia Sat 16-Jan-21 08:18:19

I read it in the UK press yesterday.

BlueSky Sat 16-Jan-21 08:40:36

I did spot it on the online news and I thought it would cause further panic.

Iam64 Sat 16-Jan-21 09:05:49

Espee, are you suggesting this news is being suppressed? It is in all the daily papers today. As others have said, the deaths were among frail, elderly people. As Elegran points out, all necessary checks are in place

Lucca Sat 16-Jan-21 09:18:17

What elegran said.
I do hope there not too many of these panic inducing stories.

Esspee Sat 16-Jan-21 09:18:36

When I first read the report I scoured all the online newspapers and found no mention.

Yes I was suggesting it was being deliberately played down.

I find it deeply concerning that we appear to be being manipulated by the media. I used to read the news on the BBC. Now I read as many sources as possible and try to work out what is really going on. I am not a conspiracy theorist but anyone with two brain cells to rub together can see that lies are being advanced as fact. (Especially in the USA.)

Elegran Sat 16-Jan-21 09:46:44

The Norwegian news agency had reported it on Thursday evening. Yesterday (16 hours ago) it was reported in the BMJ, 12 hours ago in the Sun, 10 in the Express, and now a lot more. I wouldn't call that suppression. If there were a conspiracy to suppress it (why??) it would never have been reported anywhere

Further details - All the deaths occurred among patients in nursing homes and all were over the age of 80. They were already frail and ill. Their previous medical history is relevant.

NotSpaghetti Sat 16-Jan-21 10:09:02

Elegran I think they actually were very elderly, frail or terminally ill. Not necessarily all three!

NotSpaghetti Sat 16-Jan-21 10:27:13

Mmmn.. not sure now, “ Norwegian authorities have prioritised the immunisation of residents in nursing homes, most of whom are very elderly with underlying medical conditions and some of whom are terminally ill.” [my italics]

Elegran Sat 16-Jan-21 10:39:26

If they were over 80 and in nursing homes, (not care homes for the fit elderly, as in "The Secret Diary of Hendrik Groen, 83¼ Years", but nursing homes where they received nursing care) then I would imagine they matched at least two of the descriptions very elderly, frail or terminally ill.

Callistemon Sat 16-Jan-21 10:43:27

Most of the deceased were reportedly elderly and terminally ill patients.

Throwing light on the risk factor of the vaccine, the Norwegian Institute of Public Heath said even relatively mild vaccine side effects can have serious consequences for those with the most severe frailty, the Bloomberg reported. “For those who have a very short remaining life span anyway, the benefit of the vaccine may be marginal or irrelevant,” it said.

www.news18.com/news/world/norway-covid19-vaccine-side-effects-deaths-coronavirus-sick-elderly-europe-caution-3297452.html

NotSpaghetti Sat 16-Jan-21 10:44:54

Ok. Thanks.
Just read similar stuff going on in Germany by the way.

Callistemon Sat 16-Jan-21 10:45:51

It is being discussed on the Vaccine Side effects thread and I posted:

I would wonder about the efficacy of giving the vaccine to someone who is terminally ill although, of course, if they caught Covid it would probably prove to be fatal anyway.
A difficult decision to make in those circumstances but the chances of someone who is in the last stages of life suffering badly with Covid is probably worse.

It is an inert vaccine not a live one and apparently caused fever and nausea which led to their deaths.

MissAdventure Sat 16-Jan-21 10:52:07

It was the side effects, apparently, which aren't a problem to most people, but could just tip the balance to somebody very frail.

EllanVannin Sat 16-Jan-21 10:53:39

Don't remind me, I read this yesterday and my heart skipped a beat. This is a lot of deaths and not " rare " as is stated.
One man's meat and all that.shock

How sick were these people ? What were their underlying problems ?

How do we know how much longer they'd have lived without the vaccine ?

Elegran Sat 16-Jan-21 10:53:40

Even nausea can have a bad effect on the system of a frail elderly person.

NotSpaghetti Sat 16-Jan-21 10:59:35

The article that I read (translated by Google admittedly) cited diarrhoea, vomiting, fever as "fairly common" side effects.

If you are sick or frail, these could be real problems.

Callistemon Sat 16-Jan-21 10:59:43

EllanVannin
I don't think we know the full facts yet.

They were apparently terminally ill
Although worrying, 23 is not a huge number out of millions of people already vaccinated.
Why has nowhere else reported the same thing happening with terminally ill patients?
Were they all in one area eg was the vaccine not kept under the recommended conditions?

We just don't know yet.