Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Will the attitude of Vaccinated people be an 'I'm all right Jack' mentality as they seem to be increasingly booking holidays abroad. Do we need to prepare for a third wave?

(76 Posts)
mistymitts Sun 24-Jan-21 13:42:41

I hear of a big rise in holidays being booked abroad by those who now feel a certain amount of protection now that they have had the first or even both doses of the vaccine.. This makes me uneasy for several reasons. It is still not known, but presumed that you can still catch the virus, and so become infectious to others. Our borders are poorly monitor at the moment. There are now about 17 cases of the South African strain in UK. These have been asked to self isolate but it is not checked or enforced. There should be enforced quarantine in designated hotels for anyone coming from Countries with new strains, especially the South African and Brazilian. The pandemic began in Uk it is thought by two tourists from Wuhan. It only takes one person to start a pandemic.
New Zealand, Covid free for so long has just now identified a new positive case, from someone just return d from a trip to Europe. International travel is responsible for the fast spread of this world wide disease. Is it not time to clamp down on our borders and bring in enforced quarantine in guarded accommodation as they already do in so many countries. If you wish to go off travelling you must be prepared to make absolutely sure that you are not bringing now virus back with you. We are after all an Island so have an advantage but we have the highest number of deaths per capita in the world. I would hate for all those protected by the vaccines to feel they were now free to holiday wherever they want without realising that they may just be bringing back an unwelcome souvenir. Do we wish to stamp it out or do are we content to just about manage a low incidence rate, and therefore expect peaks and troughs. Nip it in the bud has passed us last year, but this year we can do something about international transmission, sooner rather than later.

MissChateline Mon 08-Feb-21 09:01:25

I fully intend to be on the first flight out of here to enjoy a change of scenery, some sunshine and to make sure everything in our sunny island apartment is OK.
I suspect that we may be hampered by not having a vaccine passport system in the UK as I think it will be required by most countries to be able to enter. I read in one of the papers today that doctors may provide proof at a charge of £30. There really needs to be international cooperation with this or it will descend into another government farce.

Iam64 Mon 08-Feb-21 09:02:58

I’ve been very careful since mid February 2020.

The inoculation programme is working well. Gaga, There isn’t an increase in older people becoming seriously ill. Infections are rising amongst 30 somethings but older people continue to be very careful, or shield.

I don’t think we need to up the anxiety levels. The vaccination programme will continue to develop. Eventually, we hope that like smallpox, polio etc this virus can be controlled. The flu vaccine has been effective in reducing epidemics. We have to continue to live our lives as well as we can. I’ll continue to be careful but if I can go to a quiet area of Greece, with low rates of Covid by the autumn, I will.

sodapop Mon 08-Feb-21 09:21:53

That's right Iam64 we need to continue our lives but being careful as well. Covid is going to be with us for a long time so we have to deal with it.
Treatments and vaccinations will improve all the time as they did for other major diseases life can't be put on hold forever. I am not advocating unnecessary risk taking just being sensible.

Kalu Mon 08-Feb-21 10:34:10

BlueSky

GagaJo

My daughter said that she had seen on the UK news that vaccinated elderly in the UK were still getting very ill with covid.

Anyone else see that?

GagaJo that’s very worrying and not what we need to encourage and reassure ‘the elderly ‘ (us? our parents?) that the vaccines are both safe and effective in preventing serious illness, otherwise many will wonder what’s the point.
As for booking holidays I think it’s far too early but that’s me, holidays no longer mean anything, but I realise that others will need something to look forward to.

I am aware elderly people are more susceptible should they contract covid but it was the, already vaccinated elderly still becoming very ill which worries me.

EllanVannin Mon 08-Feb-21 10:47:39

Millions will be thinking the same about breaks in the UK----so there you have it, a third lockdown to follow ( rolls eyes )
Just be satisfied that you're still breathing and able to go anywhere when the time comes ! What's the rush ?

Franbern Mon 08-Feb-21 10:47:43

Gagajo, no-one else seems to have seem any information regarding vaccinated older people becoming very ill. There is still some misunderstanding after people receive just their first dose, but think your daughter may have mis=interpreted something.

Last June (half term), my bubble family (including me) had booked to go to Cornwall to a self-catering cottage. This was, obviously cancelled then, and we accepted a re-booking for it for this year. Both I and my immunes-suppressed Son in Law will have, by then, have received both doses of the vaccine sometime earlier. We very much hope that we will be able to take this holiday and even visit places like Eden Project whilst we are there.

Oopsadaisy1 Mon 08-Feb-21 11:05:00

Personally I hope they bring in a Vaccination Passport, we have postponed a holiday with a group of friends and friends of friends, DH has had one jab, I’m waiting for mine. 6 members of the group ( all in their late 70s) have declared that , as they dont have any health problems they are not going to be vaccinated and have already turned their first appointment date down.
They say that they will only have the Vaccine if they need to have it to go on holiday.
If the various Governments don’t ask for certificates of proof, I not sure that I want to go away with a crowd of people who might well be carrying Covid and might pass it on to me. At least if I catch it from people who have been vaccinated it shouldn’t be so bad? Or will it?
Anyway, whatever happens we won’t be going abroad this year, just going to see DD and GCs, hopefully in the Summer.

BlueSky Mon 08-Feb-21 11:17:35

Oopsadaisy I thought that. For some (a lot?) of people being able to go abroad would be the only consideration whether they have the vaccine or not.

Elegran Mon 08-Feb-21 12:23:07

OF COURSE older people in care homes are still getting more ill than younger ones when/if they catch the vaccine. No-one (at least not anyone who can distinguish a hypodermic from a bicycle pump) has EVER said that in one sudden leap the vaccine will stop everyone catching the virus, just that it lessened the severity of the disease in the majority of those who caught it after immunisation, and it may prevent transmission.

The media have had a field day with their "Now you can hug your granny" headlines, but it just isn't so. It takes time for the immune system to get completely racked up to deal with a new enemy, and the older we get the slower it is to come up to maximum performance. They will not have full protection until they have had the second dose, and they still have all the problems they had before in their lungs and circulation and so on. Their immune system has had some help, but it still has a fight on its hands. It doesn't mean that the vaccine is "no use" or is "unsuitable for the elderly" or whatever.

Teacheranne Mon 08-Feb-21 13:22:09

Those of us who are further down the list for the vaccine are really hoping that others do not start ignoring the restrictions after their second doses. It is too early to know how much the vaccine prevents transmission to other people so cases could continue to be high if the virus is passed on.

I just want this talk about holidays, meeting family, getting back to normal etc to stop until there is scientific evidence to support the lifting of restrictions or we could face further lockdowns. It’s not just on GN, I see posts all over social media about people’s post vaccination plans.

It’s good to have hope, I certainly need it, but please exercise caution.

GrannyRose15 Fri 12-Feb-21 19:33:42

No-one can live without hope.

Lillie Fri 12-Feb-21 20:35:40

"Those of us who are further down the list for the vaccine are really hoping that others do not start ignoring the restrictions after their second doses. It is too early."
Your comment made me smile Teacheranne. Our vicar, in his 50s, is giving the oldies who have had their jabs a real talking to in the parish magazine about going out and gathering before he has had his jab!

MayBee70 Fri 12-Feb-21 22:40:43

Oopsadaisy1

Personally I hope they bring in a Vaccination Passport, we have postponed a holiday with a group of friends and friends of friends, DH has had one jab, I’m waiting for mine. 6 members of the group ( all in their late 70s) have declared that , as they dont have any health problems they are not going to be vaccinated and have already turned their first appointment date down.
They say that they will only have the Vaccine if they need to have it to go on holiday.
If the various Governments don’t ask for certificates of proof, I not sure that I want to go away with a crowd of people who might well be carrying Covid and might pass it on to me. At least if I catch it from people who have been vaccinated it shouldn’t be so bad? Or will it?
Anyway, whatever happens we won’t be going abroad this year, just going to see DD and GCs, hopefully in the Summer.

The government said they were not considering a vaccination passport earlier this week and, true to form they’re now looking into...you guessed it....

PamelaJ1 Sat 13-Feb-21 11:29:18

mistymitts Where did you hear the news that the old and vulnerable are rushing out to book holidays? They are the only ones so far, who have had one vaccine. There are a few who had the first injection last year and the second one at the beginning of this one. So a massive number of 90year olds have popped down to Trailfinders? Well I don’t think I believe it.
The only people I know who seem to think they will be travelling abroad are the youngsters who won’t be getting their inoculations till much later.
I don’t know if we will be getting a third wave, maybe we will but, if so, I don’t think it will be my generations fault.
There will always be idiots of course but, let’s hope, not too man6.

eazybee Sat 13-Feb-21 14:28:06

I think many of the holidays being booked are for people of all ages who lost their holidays last year, received vouchers in lieu and are worried that the holiday firms, and hotels, will go bust before they can use them.
That said, I have neighbours in their seventies who take five holidays each year and have booked all over Europe in the hope they can take what they consider to be their full entitlement.

maddyone Sat 13-Feb-21 14:39:31

I was playing about on my iPad earlier today and I had a look at the EasyJet site. I could have booked a flight to Tenerife for next Friday and a return flight the following Friday. I didn’t book them of course, but someone must be booking flights for them to be operating. Is this what the PO meant? Vaccinated people booking flights because they’ve had their first vaccination?

grannysyb Sat 13-Feb-21 14:42:16

We have booked a holiday in Devon in August, it has a cancellation policy. Until other countries have more people vaccinated I won't think about going abroad. I think the insurance costs will be astronomic! My stepdaughter is a consultant in intensive care and already worried about a third wave.

maddyone Sat 13-Feb-21 14:53:49

Me too Iam. I’m hoping we can go, probably to Greece, later in the year.

annodomini Sat 13-Feb-21 16:59:35

The vaccination certificates we have had in the past (cholera, yellow fever etc) were to guarantee that we wouldn't be carrying lethal viruses/bacteria into other countries. The Covid19 vaccine doesn't do that, so I'm not sure just what good a so-called 'vaccination passport' would do.

M0nica Sun 14-Feb-21 11:47:13

The vaccination certificates we have had in the past (cholera, yellow fever etc) were to guarantee that we wouldn't be carrying lethal viruses/bacteria into other countries.

No they weren't. They were merely records that we had had the jab against these diseases. Like every vaccination, including COVID they were not 100% effective and if you had picked up the disease, but were not yet showing it, when you had the jab you could carry it around the world. Except, then as now, you would often have to have had the jab severeal weeks before you travelled, to be sure you were not incubating it.

The COVID vaccination is just a bog standard vaccination like any other, it will protect most people most of the time and will need to be renewed after, an as yet unspecified, period of time.

Why people have made such a big deal over the substance of the COVID jab; all these ridiculous scare stores, many based on it behaving like a perfectly ordinary vaccine, I do not know. I just assume that lockdown has gone to people's heads and the only occupation left to them is turning molehills into mountains.

M0nica Sun 14-Feb-21 12:06:17

Why has dreaming, booking or taking a holiday become a symbol of the depths of moral turpitude that people can sink to?

I am not aware that anyone has been planning or booking a holiday to be taken before lockdown has been eased and we have been told it is safe to do so.

On top of that 15 million people have now had the COVID vaccination, including nearly all those most at risk. By the summer this figure may well have doubled or more and I am sure that most European countries will have caught up with us. On top of that, almost daily there are announcements of new treatments for COVID that will reduce number dying from the disease or being severely affected by it.

I am sceptical about all the talk about 'herd immunity'. COVID is with us like flu and will never disappear. Like flu, it will be equally mutable, but annual jabs and improved treatments, will reduce its prevalence and danger.

Life has never been risk free and sooner or later we have to get back to normal life. My sister was killed in a road accident, my daughter severely injured and left with a mild disability after one, and I have had one or two shunts over the years, but I have not locked myself in my house, thrown away the key and vowed never even to cross a road again. I have shouldered the risk and continue to use road transport as normal.

So later on this week we will be booking a holiday for late-September/October, DS has booked a family holiday in the school holidays, both holidays UK based, although we will be off to check our house in France at the first available opportunity. And if COVID takes off again, which I doubt, all will be cancelled. Who else is joining me in the depths of hell? In this cold weather it is wonderfully warm!

Iam64 Sun 14-Feb-21 12:31:08

MOnica - with you 100 %
I’ve been very careful for a year now. I’ll continue to be careful. I’m looking for a remote area of greece

maddyone Sun 14-Feb-21 17:30:24

Your holiday last year made me interested in going to the Peloponnese area of Greece Iam. But I won’t book now, I’ll wait and see what happens first.

sharon103 Sun 14-Feb-21 17:44:45

M0nica

Well, we have a second home in France, in Normandy just over the Channel from the UK. As soon as travel is permitted between the two countries we will go there.

We need to accept that COVID is never going to go away. Once the genie is out of the bottle, we are stuck with it, but medical authorities are saying that it will simply be another virus like flu.

There will be an annual jab, adapted for the current versions of the virus, over time treatments will be improved and there is no reason to think deaths will exceed the existing rate for flu, in fact deaths from one disease may fall, because the other gets there first.

We take risks with life daily, including getting all kinds of viral and bacterial infections. DH is currently recovering slowly from an infection picked up in hospital. it required 3 operations and six weeks in hospital to deal with it. That's life.

Good post M0nica.
I totally agree with you.

Callistemon Sun 14-Feb-21 18:24:04

We take risks with life daily, including getting all kinds of viral and bacterial infections.

We do face risks, even at home.

We went to an area where Zika virus was active - we'd ever heard of it until it was in the news. None of us were pregnant, thank goodness. We also visit areas where dengue fever is prevalent but I don't think that vaccines are available for either of those.

We just have to factor in the risks if we know about them and take precautions.
The problem with COVID19 is that it is so easily transmissable, unlike SARSCoV or MERSCoV, although those viruses are more deadly.