Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

*Clapathon for Sir Tom*

(44 Posts)
Esspee Wed 03-Feb-21 14:49:05

How crass.

Surely a minutes silence is more dignified for such a wonderful man.

keepingquiet Wed 03-Feb-21 14:52:27

Someone else has started a thread on this topic but I agree. I won't be clapping but may spend the time quietly reflecting on all the deaths during the past year.

NellG Wed 03-Feb-21 14:54:09

Agree, let him have a little dignity now.

Bathsheba Wed 03-Feb-21 15:05:14

I think the whole idea of clapping to support anyone is tired. It was good last year, people wanted to feel part of something while being so isolated indoors all the time. Every Thursday we could wave and smile to our neighbours, whom we hadn't seen all week. It lifted the spirits. But that time is past.

I can't honestly see anyone taking part in my road. I'd far sooner have a 2 minute silence across the nation. Far more dignified.

BigBertha1 Wed 03-Feb-21 15:06:42

There was a minutes silence in Parliament today -very dignifed.

sodapop Wed 03-Feb-21 15:41:35

I agree Bathsheba a time for quiet reflection as keepingquiet said.

Esspee Wed 03-Feb-21 15:46:01

grannypiper Wed 03-Feb-21 15:52:44

I will light a candle and put it in the window instead.

EllanVannin Wed 03-Feb-21 15:55:44

I did my minute's silence this morning while warching Parliament----no clapping from me. What a crass idea !

Anniebach Wed 03-Feb-21 15:56:02

I am not comfortable with the clapping that happens when a hearse bearing a coffin travels through places and people clap, it happens when it’s a celebrity and is shown on the news, what
has happened to standing in silence whilst the hearse passes.

EllanVannin Wed 03-Feb-21 15:56:19

watching

MissAdventure Wed 03-Feb-21 16:00:21

I find these kind of things cringeworthy, so it's a no from me.

Septimia Wed 03-Feb-21 16:00:37

We shall ring the church bell.
People can clap or stand in silence - or ignore it as they wish.
A friend stood for the silence in parliament at lunchtime. I think maybe silence is better but, when houses are positioned so that you can't see your neighbours very well (as here) at least clapping lets you hear that you're not alone.

25Avalon Wed 03-Feb-21 16:02:35

A minute’s silence. Quiet dignity.

Alegrias1 Wed 03-Feb-21 16:04:29

I agree with you Anniebach about clapping a hearse. It seems disrespectful to me. I was always taught to stand with my head bowed.
Same with clapping for Sir Tom - it doesn't seem to be the right thing to do at all.

MissAdventure Wed 03-Feb-21 16:04:29

My minutes silence would be to reflect on everyone and their families taken by covid.

Mapleleaf Wed 03-Feb-21 16:11:08

I tend to agree. I feel a bit uncomfortable with all this clapping, especially the trend for it at funerals or when the hearse goes by, as Anniebach says.

I think a dignified silence is better and I like grannypipers idea of lighting a candle, too.

The Thursday night clapping during the first lockdown was a good idea, but I think we’ve moved on from that now - a special time of remembrance once this is all over, where we can observe a minutes silence, rather like we do for armistice day, would be more appropriate. (I think I’ve seen on the news that that is going to happen or at least is being considered).

AGAA4 Wed 03-Feb-21 16:50:39

I joined in the minutes silence in Parliament to pay respects to Captain Tom and all other victims of covid. I find clapping is disrespectful.

polomint Wed 03-Feb-21 17:09:09

A dignified silence for captain tom. I dont agree with clapping. I agree with anniebach. When I was younger, if a hearse passed my dad used to take his bunnet(cap) off and bow his head. If a neighbour died, the curtains were closed as it passed by. If driving and a hearse appeared, the cars stopped to the funeral cottage pass. Changed days

Grandma70s Wed 03-Feb-21 17:19:24

The first time I saw people clapping a hearse was at Princess Diana’s funeral. I thought it odd, but it seemed to be spontaneous and genuine. I wouldn’t do it myself.

lemongrove Wed 03-Feb-21 17:20:22

Mapleleaf

I tend to agree. I feel a bit uncomfortable with all this clapping, especially the trend for it at funerals or when the hearse goes by, as Anniebach says.

I think a dignified silence is better and I like grannypipers idea of lighting a candle, too.

The Thursday night clapping during the first lockdown was a good idea, but I think we’ve moved on from that now - a special time of remembrance once this is all over, where we can observe a minutes silence, rather like we do for armistice day, would be more appropriate. (I think I’ve seen on the news that that is going to happen or at least is being considered).

I agree completely.?

honeyrose Wed 03-Feb-21 18:22:26

We clapped tonight for Major Tom in our cul de sac, but no one else did. I don’t feel that comfortable with the clapping and certainly don’t like it when a coffin goes past in a hearse after a funeral. Seems an odd thing to do. I think we clapped tonight because we thought our neighbours would, but we were the only ones in the event. I didn’t think the other neighbours - lovely people as most of them are - knew anything about it. We all clapped on a Thursday evening for the NHS in the late spring/summer, but I was relieved when it ended. It felt a little bit meaningless and repetitive in the end. I have every respect for the NHS and Captain Tom, but I thought clapping a bit redundant. RIP Captain Tom. What an absolute trooper. Also, he fought in the Burma Campaign in WWII as my own father did. And to raise £33M for NHS charities - brilliant!

Lucca Wed 03-Feb-21 18:27:48

I just had a change,org e mail petitioning for a state funeral for
him.
Sorry but I find that slightly ridiculous.
How about a state funeral for all the medics who died of coronavirus fighting to save lives day in day out.

Rosie51 Wed 03-Feb-21 18:34:32

I agree Lucca. He caught the imagination of people far and wide and did raise a huge sum for NHS charities. Respect to him for that but a state funeral is a step too far. Besides which Covid19 restrictions on funerals would totally prohibit any such grand ceremony.

ElaineI Wed 03-Feb-21 18:42:04

I went out and clapped as did a few neighbours. I think it is a personal thing and it is fine to disagree - don't do it then but there is no need to be rude about it.