Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Oh my! Such a tirade of abuse...

(49 Posts)
keepingquiet Wed 03-Feb-21 16:57:22

I know there are a few threads here on the death of Captain Tom. I just responded to a similar post on the same topic on another site and got such a slurry of abuse. I was really taken aback by the posts of 'friends' of my friend. I've come away now but it leaves a very bad feeling for my friend. I find it very sad but a little alarming.Should I report these people?

ayse Wed 03-Feb-21 17:07:28

I don’t understand why anyone would want to be abusive and I would report it to the admins. I’d also cease to engage with people who feels it’s ok to abuse.

PamelaJ1 Wed 03-Feb-21 17:15:46

Why would you get abuse?
What did you say?

crazyH Wed 03-Feb-21 17:18:49

Why would anyone be abusive on a thread about Captain Sir Tom ?

keepingquiet Wed 03-Feb-21 17:20:41

I said I didn't agree with clapping for Captain Tom. I couldn't believe the response! Unrepeatable on here- but,yes I may report it.

FannyCornforth Wed 03-Feb-21 17:25:12

On another site
So nothing to do with GN.
Your post is a tad misleading.

Riverwalk Wed 03-Feb-21 17:27:41

What's it got to do with Gransnet members?

keepingquiet Wed 03-Feb-21 17:28:54

No but don't understand why it is misleading as I never claimed it was this site. I'm new here so maybe mentioning other sites is a no-no?

JaneJudge Wed 03-Feb-21 17:28:55

maybe you could have kept that comment to yourself?

EllanVannin Wed 03-Feb-21 17:29:08

No, I wouldn't do anything.

FannyCornforth Wed 03-Feb-21 17:29:44

Riverwalk
Bugger all!

keepingquiet Wed 03-Feb-21 17:30:00

I've learned two lessons today!

lemsip Wed 03-Feb-21 17:30:12

it the abuse was on another site why put it on here? what were you expecting.

Riverwalk Wed 03-Feb-21 17:31:31

keepingquiet

No but don't understand why it is misleading as I never claimed it was this site. I'm new here so maybe mentioning other sites is a no-no?

We have enough drama of our own, never mind taking on other sites' problems! grin

Whiff Wed 03-Feb-21 17:31:48

Unfortunately there are some posters on various threads who are abusive. I asked 2 innocent questions I got abusive replies. People think because they can hide behind usernames it gives them the right to say what they like. I would like to look these people in the eye and say repeat what you wrote. Bet you any money they couldn't do it. I know of a couple of people I class as friends who stopped openly posting due to abuse. I myself will not post on a site I openly posted on . But still read it everyday and PM people if I can help or support them.

Captain Tom united the country. How anyone can be horrible about what he achieved is beyond me.

keepingquiet Wed 03-Feb-21 17:33:46

Tip taken Riverwalk! I haven't come across any abuse on here yet but I'm not in the business of winding people up so I'll leave it there.

lemsip Wed 03-Feb-21 17:33:50

I have seen your posting on the new and politics thread under boris johnsons heading re clapping for Capt. Tom

you posted that you wouldn't be clapping and you have had no abuse what so ever on your post and you are not alone in saying you wouldn't be clapping either.

aggie Wed 03-Feb-21 17:34:28

What a lovely welcome to a new poster ! ?

crazyH Wed 03-Feb-21 17:39:08

I’m with you on this KQ. Ofcourse, Captain Tom is worthy of recognition, but this clapping lark is getting a bit silly. That’s my humble opinion. It also may be due to the fact I’m too lazy to go stand out in the cold ?

Riverwalk Wed 03-Feb-21 17:41:54

aggie

What a lovely welcome to a new poster ! ?

The OP is asking whether she should report someone on another site!

What is your tear for?

I need a G&T!

Blossoming Wed 03-Feb-21 17:44:10

Hello keepingquiet. It really depends on (a) what the rules are on the other site, and (b) how bad the abuse was. Nobody here can really advise you what to do in these circumstances. I hope you didn’t get any abuse on GN, you may get robust disagreement though!

HurdyGurdy Wed 03-Feb-21 17:50:46

crazyH

I’m with you on this KQ. Ofcourse, Captain Tom is worthy of recognition, but this clapping lark is getting a bit silly. That’s my humble opinion. It also may be due to the fact I’m too lazy to go stand out in the cold ?

I agree with you.

I won't be clapping for him. Not that I didn't admire him, but HE won't be able to hear it, so for me, it would just be for show to the neighbours.

I could understand the clapping for the NHS and other key workers, because I think most streets will have someone associated with those organisations, and hopefully will have felt valued by hearing it (although I suspect they felt embarrassed as much as anything).

But who would we be clapping TO in this instance?

I don't much like the phrase "virtue signalling" but this smacks of just that.

Sara1954 Wed 03-Feb-21 17:59:30

CrazyH
You’re so right, of course he was an inspirational man, who raised a lot of money, good for him, he did something amazing, but so do a lot of other people.
As for clapping, I honestly can’t see the point.

Sara1954 Wed 03-Feb-21 18:09:36

My granddaughter tells me Captain Tom is all over TikTok, who’d have thought it!

lemsip Wed 03-Feb-21 18:48:05

the OP is Not a new poster!