Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Delayed reaction to vaccine

(38 Posts)
dragonfly46 Thu 04-Feb-21 17:56:09

I had the Astra Zeneca vaccine with no reaction until 5 days later when I had vague flue symptoms. Has anyone else had this?

janeainsworth Fri 05-Feb-21 14:55:46

Dragonfly I didn't at all mean to suggest that your reaction might have been due to anything other than the vaccine - I hope you didn't think that.
I just thought it was an interesting observation to have come out of the symptom study.

Atqui Fri 05-Feb-21 15:29:26

I started a thread a few weeks ago about my husband having 3 nights of terrible headaches 2 weeks after the Pfizer jab. He is not prone to headaches. The GP said it couldn’t be connected and was not an ITA. Blood tests have not shown anything up. It will be interesting to see what happens after the second jab at the end of the month.

BlueBelle Fri 05-Feb-21 15:33:47

I believe if you have side effects it’s because your immune system is working well if you have no symptoms it shows your immune system needs help
I haven’t heard anyone having symptoms 5 or more days afterwards though

Doodle Fri 05-Feb-21 15:36:48

DH and I had Astra Zeneca jab on Wednesday. I had really bad shivers, headache and aches DH has been fine. I feel much better today. No complaints I was just pleased to have it.

BlueSky Fri 05-Feb-21 18:36:50

BlueBelle
“I believe if you have side effects it’s because your immune system is working well if you haven no symptoms it shows your immune system needs help “
BlueBelle I read that you don’t actually need side effects to prove that the vaccine is working for you. Just in case people worry if they don’t get any!

Riverwalk Fri 05-Feb-21 18:53:42

janeainsworth

One interesting thing that came out of the webinar that I watched yesterday was that during the trials, the incidence of side effects in people who had the vaccine was the the same as in people who had the placebo.
Food for thought ?

Yesterday my upper arm was itchy and felt inflamed and I was rubbing it, thinking it was a two-week delayed reaction after the vaccination and was trying to have a look in the mirror to see if it was red.

I then remembered that the vaccination was in the other arm! grin

janeainsworth Fri 05-Feb-21 19:10:43

Riverwalk grin
I’m having my first dose tomorrow so shall watch for side effects & try & decide if they’re real or imaginary grin

FoghornLeghorn Thu 11-Feb-21 20:49:28

BlueBelle

I believe if you have side effects it’s because your immune system is working well if you have no symptoms it shows your immune system needs help
I haven’t heard anyone having symptoms 5 or more days afterwards though

This is not true at all so people reading this needn’t worry that they have a defective immune system.

BlueSky Thu 11-Feb-21 21:20:20

Thanks FoghornLeghorn I was hoping no reactions/side effects didn’t mean a weak immune system or that the vaccine hadn’t worked.

Esspee Thu 11-Feb-21 23:01:04

I have an amazing immune system, I haven’t had a cold or flu in the last 30 years. I don’t get side effects either. My mother used to get every side effect going to any medicine prescribed so I removed the explanatory leaflet that came with her prescribed medicine. Worked a treat.
Yesterday we got the Pfizer vaccination, no side effects.

Maggiemaybe Thu 11-Feb-21 23:50:07

I had the AZ vaccine on Tuesday, and DH had his last Thursday. No side effects between us, not even a sore arm. We did take paracetamol for 24 hours afterwards, which may have helped.

We were half expecting side effects, as we both had a reaction for the first time ever after this year’s flu jab. With that in mind, I think it’s wrong to imply that side effects are all in the mind, or that the lack of them means the vaccine’s not working or your immune system is somehow defective.

We’re just glad to have had our first dose!

downtoearth Mon 15-Feb-21 08:55:46

I had my AZ vaccine on thursday just feel vaguely unwell, tiredness,muscle aches, raised glands, heady feeling and generally wanting to curl up in bed and stay there.