Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Discount for teachers and NHS staff.

(57 Posts)
Missfoodlove Mon 15-Feb-21 12:33:46

I called in to Morrisons and was surprised to see a 10% discount is being offered to NHS and Teachers.

Is this right?

Hull is a poor City and the NHS and teachers will be among the better paid in the area.

I feel it is inappropriate.

Your views please.

Peasblossom Mon 15-Feb-21 12:40:38

They’re a business. The purpose of this initiative will be to generate more business. So encouraging those who have more money to spend it at Morrisons makes sense in business terms.

suziewoozie Mon 15-Feb-21 12:53:32

Giving teachers a discount doesn’t help the poor directly you’re right but you’ve no idea about individual teachers financial or personal circumstances or what they give to others. This post sounds really sour grapes imo. And anything that keeps cheaper supermarkets in business especially in poorer areas, is a good thing.

Dee1012 Mon 15-Feb-21 12:55:05

I think there are a lot of NHS workers who are definitely not well paid!

Ellianne Mon 15-Feb-21 12:58:09

Seasalt Cornwall - Exclusive 50% Teachers discount
On full price items
Use code at checkout.

Maybe they think those are sort of garments teachers wear?

Business is business wherever.

tanith Mon 15-Feb-21 13:35:26

NHS staff can apply for a blue light card which gives discounts at lots of places. It’s sometimes enough to show NHS ID to get a discount.

Missfoodlove Mon 15-Feb-21 13:39:49

suziewoozie Sour grapes!!!!

Far from it, I live in one of the poorest cities in the UK, food banks are barely coping, we have a large homeless population and an above average percentage of children on free school meals.

It upsets me to think that across the board these discounts are being given.
I know a doctor that would have no shame in stocking his wine racks with the discount.

Boz Mon 15-Feb-21 13:42:11

Only 10%. They should get 20% at least. Also, discounts on holidays and travel.

Jaxjacky Mon 15-Feb-21 13:56:28

Fair play to Morrison’s the discount includes emergency services staff too.

cornergran Mon 15-Feb-21 13:58:10

The discount at Morrison’s has been in place for some weeks. It’s nationwide, I’ve certainly got no problem with it.

janeainsworth Mon 15-Feb-21 13:58:19

I agree with you Missfoodlove.
Whenever discounts are given to any particular group, whether it’s pensioners, students, or whoever, it means that other customers are paying more.
It certainly isn’t the company donating to these groups from the goodness of their hearts.
It’s effectively forcing other people to contribute to the company’s apparent largesse, and the customers who are making the contributions may well be in a less favourable financial situation than the beneficiaries.

Grannynannywanny Mon 15-Feb-21 13:58:29

Missfoodlove

I know a doctor that would have no shame in stocking his wine racks with the discount

There are lots of things it can’t be used on, including alcohol.

my.morrisons.com/nhs/

Nannarose Mon 15-Feb-21 14:12:22

I understand both sides of this, and it shows up our divided society. My family straddles a number of class / wealth boundaries, so I have been aware of some people who can't understand why I would be in such a low-paid job as nursing, and others to whom the salary was amazing.

Having said that, encouraging certain groups into stores is a business decision. The most blatant is Macdonalds offering vouchers to police officers. That discourages the dealers!
Having plenty of customers about who are (on the whole!) well behaved and sensible, and who have some standing in the community makes a store look good.
I have no particular view on how right or wrong that is.

FannyCornforth Mon 15-Feb-21 14:26:29

Ellianne

Seasalt Cornwall - Exclusive 50% Teachers discount
On full price items
Use code at checkout.

Maybe they think those are sort of garments teachers wear?

Business is business wherever.

Really?!? 50 per cent?! That's amazing!

Blossoming Mon 15-Feb-21 15:22:35

There are many unfair things I could get upset about right now. This isn’t one of them,

PaperMonster Mon 15-Feb-21 15:24:43

I’m a college tutor and I qualify for the discount at Morrison’s. I think you’d be very surprised at how little I earn. I am expecting to be made redundant as a result of the pandemic. How I’ve managed to avoid getting the virus is anyone’s guess as I’ve been working in Covid soup basically. I’ve watched as colleagues and students have come down with it and felt very unsafe. I am struggling with the extra cost of heating my home because I’m having to work from home, whilst also helping my child with their education. So, thank you Morrison’s for offering this discount.

suziewoozie Mon 15-Feb-21 15:33:56

Blossoming

There are many unfair things I could get upset about right now. This isn’t one of them,

Exactly. The rich, powerful,well connected have an unending stream of freebies thrust at them. We live in a deeply unfair, unequal world that most people in this country seem to be quite happy with until something like this comes up and they can’t have it. I know incredibly well off pensioners who until recently had free tv licences and still have free Freedom passes and bus passes and free prescriptions. I know of a tax avoiding American citizen who peddles in ruining lives who’s had not one but two free vaccines. I know of wealthy businesses who’ve gobbled up furlough and business rates holidays and low interest loans and grants.

suziewoozie Mon 15-Feb-21 15:55:45

www.businessinsider.com/boris-johnson-david-ross-private-caribbean-island-mustique-millionaire-denies-2020-2

Would fund quite a lot of Seasalt tunics

JaneJudge Mon 15-Feb-21 15:56:13

I'm pleased they are doing this. They work hard enough without covid being in the equation but they really need all our support now, I cannot even imagine how difficult it is for some of my friends and family working within these roles.

cornishpatsy Mon 15-Feb-21 16:05:19

I hope their own staff are getting the discounts. Supermarket workers have worked throughout Covid, with no protection in the beginning, they are low paid and I do not think they get the recognition that NHS staff and teachers do.

AmberSpyglass Mon 15-Feb-21 16:05:24

I’m a lecturer and I’m hugely relieved about these. And just because there are people who are less well paid doesn’t mean that people in teaching or healthcare professions are paid enough. We really aren’t.

AGAA4 Mon 15-Feb-21 16:08:24

I don't begrudge NHS staff and teachers a discount. They have kept us going through this pandemic and get little in reward.
NHS staff are exhausted and teachers have had to work without PPE in many cases. Having a discount at Morrisons is only small thanks for carrying on through this awful time.

Kari4 Mon 15-Feb-21 16:12:12

Well I would love to have a job AND get a discount!

suziewoozie Mon 15-Feb-21 16:13:35

cornishpatsy

I hope their own staff are getting the discounts. Supermarket workers have worked throughout Covid, with no protection in the beginning, they are low paid and I do not think they get the recognition that NHS staff and teachers do.

Afaik all supermarket employees get a staff discount -there might be a qualifying period of employment but it’s been around for ever.

JaneJudge Mon 15-Feb-21 16:14:10

cornishpatsy

they get a discount anyway as part of their job