Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

At last !

(38 Posts)
nanna8 Sun 21-Feb-21 08:03:32

The first vaccines were rolled out today in Australia. We have to traipse over to one of the designated hospitals to get it when we are allowed to which is very inconvenient for many of us. Is that what they do in the UK or can you just go to a GP ?

BlueSky Mon 22-Feb-21 09:40:07

I know what you mean nanna about having to travel to a vaccination hub, unless you can drive or have a partner who can. I was worrying about this as I didn’t really wanted to venture on public transport. Luckily the vaccine has now been rolled out to GPs surgeries and I’m happy and grateful to have been able to walk there to get my first!

nanna8 Mon 22-Feb-21 10:10:48

I hope they do the same here. Public transport is not so good here unless the place is near a railway station. It isn’t, unfortunately. I know people can take taxis but they are very,very expensive.

Puzzler61 Mon 22-Feb-21 10:19:17

I am nervous of going on any public transport or in a taxi but I am fortunate to have a car. I’ve not been invited for a Covid jab yet nanna8 as I am not yet in the age group being vaccinated but I hope next month.
I hope you get yours soon too.
Once we are all vaccinated the spread of Covid has to slow down. Doesn’t it?

V3ra Mon 22-Feb-21 10:43:46

We accompanied my Dad (89) when he had his vaccination in January.
He had to go in one minute before his appointment time and was out again sixteen minutes later.
It was all for people over 80 and there was a really great atmosphere.
One chap on two crutches came out of the building, stood still, raised both his crutches to the sky and cheered! We all applauded ?

LauraNorder Mon 22-Feb-21 11:58:32

V3ra, great story, I imagine that happened all over the country.

Ro60 Mon 22-Feb-21 12:18:45

As the temperature drops out there I'm glad it's starting to happen for you.
It must be difficult for some - being such a large country, especially for those people who need to rely on others for transport.
When I took DM for her first back in December there was a dear
elderly man who had made trip by bus & was waiting outside in the cold eventually - due the others waiting he was offered a seat inside the door. He looked so tired.
Where I live the vaccine centre is a local health centre ( not my GP) but easier to get to (with a car) than the original virus test sites - which were up to 50 miles away - not good if you're feeling ill.

Blossoming Mon 22-Feb-21 13:21:57

I think it depends on the type of vaccine nanna8

Where I live only the main teaching hospital was offering the Pfizer vaccine as it was the only place with suitable storage. It is quite near here so wouldn’t have been a problem for me. I went to a GP clinic run by a group of practices and had the AZ jab, quick and easy.

kittylester Mon 22-Feb-21 15:16:31

It isnt true that we in England can only get them at a hub. One of my brothers had his at his gp this morning.

When I booked mine, on line, I had a choice of 3 hospitals, 3 hubs and half a dozen pharmacies. That i chose the hub 20 miles away had absolutely nothing to do with the fact that it was just down the road from DD1.

Is nanna8 being racist?

nanna8 Tue 23-Feb-21 03:33:00

www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/selected-deaths-vs-covid-19-canada

This is a very interesting site. We don't know we're born over here when I look at some other countries. No wonder we are called 'the lucky country'. Horrific

nanna8 Tue 23-Feb-21 03:33:44

Yes hate everyone except myself

nanna8 Tue 23-Feb-21 03:34:23

And the foreigner I'm married to

Blossoming Thu 25-Feb-21 17:39:56

Mr. B is having his first vaccine tomorrow and I’m so relieved. It’s at a local hub, just a short journey. I know this isn’t the end of it, but it’s definitely on the right road.