Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Side effects.

(57 Posts)
Bopeep14 Sat 27-Feb-21 21:29:58

I had my first dose of the covid vaccine on the 9th of feb.
I had flu like symptoms for a couple of days and was expecting to feel better after.
As time is progressing i feel awful i have a really sore heavy arm and all my joints are really sore and i keep getting a really horrible headache, and more fatigued than normal.
I was wondering if i should contact my GP?

Marydoll Tue 23-Mar-21 17:02:25

Hetty, that's exactly how I feel! No pain, no gain!

Hetty58 Tue 23-Mar-21 16:42:15

I had the Oxford AZ on Feb 13th and was absolutely fine until five days later - when I suddenly got the sensation of freezing cold feet. They had a rash on the tops too!

It's come back a few times since. Also, last week I got a painful hip (never happened before) for no apparent reason. That lasted about three days.

Still, very trivial compared to being seriously ill - or worse!

Marydoll Tue 23-Mar-21 16:33:15

janieuk I had a much more severe reaction to the AV vaccine than you. (Reported like you to the Yellow Card website, along with my multiple conditions and medication, in the hope that the information will inform further research) I spent a week in bed, very unwell, requiring intervention by my GP. It has taken about four weeks to get over it.
However, on the advice of my clinicians, I still intend to have the second dose. It's the only way I will be able to stop shielding and protect myself..
I'm dreading having it, but it's a matter of weighing up the pros and cons and what's best for you.

janieuk Tue 23-Mar-21 11:41:42

I had the Pfizer jab in February. Four hours afterwards I had strong heart palpitations, felt faint, and my blood pressure was sky high. The following day I felt fluey and tired, and sore arm, but fine the day after. I’d love to hear whether other people have experienced this. I had COVID at Christmas and my gut feeling was to wait to be honest. Wish I’d have gone with that feeling. Have reported via the yellow card system, and reported to GP who really wasn’t interested! Very unsure as to whether to have the second one.

PinkSweetPea Sun 21-Mar-21 15:38:03

I had the AZ yesterday morning and so far feel fine but been trying not to do too much today and taking it easy as I'm at work next week

Callistemon Sat 20-Mar-21 15:21:24

Callistemon ... Sorry to hear that you feel worse after your 2nd dose sad Did you have any side effects at all after your 1st one?
No, just a slight headache last time Welshy so I was surprised I had more of a reaction this time.
DH just spoke to a friend who went on the same day as me and neither he nor his wife had any reaction.

Don't let me put anyone off; I just think it might mean I'd perhaps have been really ill if I caught Covid.

cornishpatsy Sat 20-Mar-21 13:52:10

I had the AZ on the 10th March, headache for 2 days then fine apart from my arm which is still painful when I lift it above my head.

Jaxjacky Sat 20-Mar-21 13:34:03

Husband had AZ yesterday afternoon, no reaction thus far.

Welshy Sat 20-Mar-21 12:47:19

Hi Norfolknanna thank you for your reply. It's been a week today that I had the vaccine, so I will keep an eye on it.

Callistemon ... Sorry to hear that you feel worse after your 2nd dose sad Did you have any side effects at all after your 1st one?
My sister had the Pfizer like you and she had no side effects at all. So was told on her 2nd dose that she probably will this time but she didn't.

Callistemon Fri 19-Mar-21 22:14:22

I had the Pfizer vaccine (2nd dose) last weekend and feel worse this time than the last.
Flu like symptoms, very sore throat, achey joints and lymph glands are up under that arm.

I've taken paracetamol but it does seem to be lingering.

Norfolknanna Fri 19-Mar-21 22:06:28

Hi, just wanted to say that swollen lymph glands in the armpit, neck or collarbone area are normal after vaccination and typically last up to 10 days.
If a swollen gland lasts longer than that it's advisable to have a chat with your GP.

Welshy Fri 19-Mar-21 19:27:36

glammagran

I had AZ vaccine on 18th February. Apart from some very vivid technicolour dreams the same night and a slightly sore arm I thought I’d got off lightly. But for about a week know I have been stricken with rheumaticy pains, painful joints, headaches and such a stiff neck I can’t sleep without painkillers. I also have what I think is a swollen lymph gland in my neck. But no lump under the arm this time which occured after my flu vaccine in the autumn.

Hi glammagran

Like you I had the AZ vaccine in the morning of 13th March. By the evening I felt really tired. Then I had flu like symptoms, cold then hot and a headache.
Now today 19th March I have noticed a swollen lymph node along my right collar bone. ( I received the vaccine in my right arm)
I see you had similar and I wonder if you still had yours and whether you got it checked out?

BlueSky Fri 19-Mar-21 18:13:14

Am I the only one who hasn’t found the reassurance on the AZ not reassuring? As they say “A little knowledge is a dangerous thing “.

NannyC2 Fri 19-Mar-21 17:16:37

Bopeep14 I am genuinely so sorry you don't feel well and hope things will improve.
I really cannot understand why people rushed to get the jab (I will not call it vaccine) without doing any research or even asking the person giving it if they knew what it contained. They are many eminent doctors and professionals in the field who have tried hard to tell people about it.
I have heard of people locally who express similar problems to those you describe and other worrying problems.

BlueSky Fri 19-Mar-21 08:41:44

I guess we’ll be thinking about CSVT too now that we know, if we get a headache after vaccination, even though it’s an extremely rare side effect. Still better to be informed and seek help if necessary.

Rosalyn69 Fri 19-Mar-21 06:47:13

I have two Pfizer jabs. Felt very flu like with the first. I’ve just had the second one two days ago and still feel poorly. Sore arm, stiff neck and shoulders and a red burning face on the left side.
Better than COVID but still nasty.
None of my friends have admitted to side effects so it’s nice to not feel alone.

Hetty58 Fri 19-Mar-21 06:05:08

I had the Oxford AZ and was absolutely fine except for an episode of freezing cold feet five days later! I was expecting to have a sore arm and flu-like symptoms - so feel really lucky.

My neighbour, though, felt quite unwell, the day after his jab, with fever and sickness, so had a day in bed. Still, so much better than Covid itself!

gmarie Fri 19-Mar-21 05:49:13

Oops, posted too soon. I also meant to add that I'd had a fever, chills and was sore all over - muscles and joints - when I got the pneumonia vaccine for the first time last year. Have you had similar severity of reaction with other vaccines or is each one different?

gmarie Fri 19-Mar-21 05:42:43

Has anyone had the Moderna vaccine? Got my first dose 7 hours ago and only have a sore arm, so far. I'm a little nervous since I still get awful migraines, even now after menopause. I've read that headache is a common side effect. I was told not to take any ibuprofen or acetaminophen (paracetamol over there) because it might diminish the efficacy of the vaccine. Are you being told that, as well?

Atqui Wed 17-Mar-21 20:12:32

Defo!

MamaCaz Wed 17-Mar-21 17:15:30

I had AZ last Thursday afternoon.

My legs had become extremely achey by mid-evening, then I had more general flu-like aches and chills by late evening.

It was a couple of days (and regular paracetamol) before I felt ok again, and five days before my arm stopped feeling tender around the vaccination site.

This took me by surprise - having never had any side-effects after any past vaccinations, such as those for flu, I'd not expected to have any after this either.

It's a small price to pay, though, if it reduces my chances of catching or becoming seriously ill from Covid!

Atqui Mon 15-Mar-21 12:20:25

Interesting. I guess we shall never know. Just wish some GPs were a bit more open minded

BlueBelle Sun 14-Mar-21 15:26:50

I had Oxford AZ no sore arm but over night felt a little bit chilled and a bit spacey till lunchtime next day took two paracetamol and felt fine after that
A doctor friend has told me that the people having major reactions are most probably people who have had the virus whether they ve known it or not, and whether they ve had symptoms at the time or not. that could well be the answer
Amazingly enough same doctor said that a number of people who believe they may have had the virus BEFORE the January that we heard of it all starting, have shown up with antibodies in tests I found that an interesting point

Atqui Sun 14-Mar-21 15:15:20

Anyone else experienced ghis

Atqui Sat 13-Mar-21 17:29:34

I started a thread back in January where I said that H had an episode of confusion followed by really bad headaches for 3 days ( He’s never been one to have headaches) It was 2 weeks after first jab and GP said it couldn’t be linked. Yesterday exactly 2 weeks after the 2nd jab he had the same confusion , and a milder headache. Coincidence ?