Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Side effects.

(56 Posts)
Bopeep14 Sat 27-Feb-21 21:29:58

I had my first dose of the covid vaccine on the 9th of feb.
I had flu like symptoms for a couple of days and was expecting to feel better after.
As time is progressing i feel awful i have a really sore heavy arm and all my joints are really sore and i keep getting a really horrible headache, and more fatigued than normal.
I was wondering if i should contact my GP?

Aldom Sat 27-Feb-21 21:42:51

Hello Bopeep14 sorry to hear you are still feeling unwell so long after your vaccination. The NHS
advice for anyone who is concerned about the side effects of the vaccine is to ring 111 Hope this will help and that you soon feel better.

paddyanne Sat 27-Feb-21 21:47:57

Did you get the pfizer vaccine? I've had exactly the same side effects ,my GP reckons thats normal ,my neck and shoulders are really sore,enough to keep me awake .

muse Sat 27-Feb-21 21:58:48

What Aldom says is good advice. Sorry you're feeling unwell still,

We both had the Pfizer with very little side effects. Both had a sore arm but that was gone within 48 hours. My flu jab was worse with the same effects you're having. They lasted 3 days.

Ring 111

maddyone Sun 28-Feb-21 10:37:44

I had a sore arm for a few days after my Pfizer vaccine. However I can assure you that the effects of the virus are far worse, I was hospitalised for twelve days with Covid.

jusnoneed Sun 28-Feb-21 10:52:18

We are wondering if my OH's sudden hip/thigh pain is anything to do with the jab - he had his about the same time. Never had any trouble with his hip before but is struggling to walk sometimes now. His friend has had painful knees.
After looking on Google it seems to be a side effect for some people.

I had a sore arm for about 5 days, also a stiff neck. Seems better now.

jusnoneed Sun 28-Feb-21 10:55:00

Should of said it says that it could be a sign the vaccine is doing it's job and getting into your system.

sf101 Sun 28-Feb-21 11:03:04

I had the pfizer and no side effects at all didn't even feel the needle.

Gingergirl Sun 28-Feb-21 11:35:20

Yes, contact your doctor and don’t forget to report it online in the yellow card system for side effects as they are trialling and monitoring until 2023 so they will register all the results.

lemsip Sun 28-Feb-21 11:46:26

pfizer 19 jan, no side effects other than at point on upper arm. Nothing to speak of.

Bopeep14 Sun 28-Feb-21 17:42:58

Thank you for all your replies.

I will contact my GP tomorrow.

Marydoll Sun 28-Feb-21 17:50:57

It has taken me nearly 3 weeks to get over the Astra Zenica vaccine and I eventually contacted my GP. I was given medication to combat the nausea and vomiting.
I also reported the severe effects on the Yellow Card site.
However, I have a history of severe allergies, so it wasn't a surprise to have such a severe reaction.
I have to say, at last I'm beginning to feel a bit better and have regained my sense of taste, which was another side effect.

MayBee70 Sun 28-Feb-21 17:55:09

Just because someone has had the vaccine it doesn’t mean that they might not actually have covid. So best to contact a doctor if the symptoms persist and monitor yourself with a thermometer and an oximeter.

Flakesdayout Sun 28-Feb-21 17:55:28

I had the Pfizer vaccine 2 weeks ago. I was very tired that day and my arm was very sore for about 3 days. I thought I was ok but now thinking about it I have had some joint pain and generalised aches. Better than getting Covid I suppose. Hope you feel better soon xx

MayBee70 Sun 28-Feb-21 18:53:07

My arthritis is making me feel a bit a achey at the moment. Having said that it’s the sort of weather that results in that anyway.

marymary62 Sun 28-Feb-21 21:42:35

I had Astra Zeneca 5 days ago - no immediate reactions .
I have now been feeling quite tired and out of sorts, slightly itchy skin and a few blisters on my finger and some strange sore spots in my mouth and also strangely hungry. Who knows whether it is anything to do with my immune system having a party or totally random! Either way I’m grateful for the vaccination and hope all this wears off especially before I put on weight! The mouth sores are not bad enough to stop me eating ......

MayBee70 Sun 28-Feb-21 22:41:52

I had a cold sore which turned into an ulcer. Put some ulcer treatment on it and it cleared up quite quickly. I’m quite pleased that things seem to be happening with my immune system. Means that things are happening!

sazz1 Fri 05-Mar-21 14:58:32

Had the Oxford vaccine 4.30 yesterday. At 6pm I fell asleep on the sofa (very unusual never do this normally) Felt ok on waking at 7pm had dinner all good. Went to bed and woke at 5am burning and shivering, Felt really ill. Took paracetamol at 8.30. Fell asleep again on the sofa, woke at 12 noon shaking all over and v hot again. Feeling very spaced out, stabbing pains in my back breathing isn't good as I have COPD anyway but seems worse.
OH just had a temperature at night for 2 nights with same vaccine.

Blossoming Fri 05-Mar-21 16:01:22

I had similar sazz1, felt really awful! Co-codamol and a couple of duvet days helped. Hope you feel better soon flowers

glammagran Fri 05-Mar-21 16:11:21

I had AZ vaccine on 18th February. Apart from some very vivid technicolour dreams the same night and a slightly sore arm I thought I’d got off lightly. But for about a week know I have been stricken with rheumaticy pains, painful joints, headaches and such a stiff neck I can’t sleep without painkillers. I also have what I think is a swollen lymph gland in my neck. But no lump under the arm this time which occured after my flu vaccine in the autumn.

Jaxjacky Fri 05-Mar-21 16:21:55

One friend had her jab at 5pm, fine, woke at 2am, headache, chills, burning up, two paracetamol, she went back to sleep and has since been fine. Two other friends had no reaction.

EllanVannin Fri 05-Mar-21 16:31:20

Either a delayed action or coincidence but a week after the AZ vaccination I had the mother of all A/fib episodes then suffered dizziness for nearly 3 weeks. Being me I didn't say anything to anybody but it seemed strange to just have an episode out of the blue like that, so now I'm dreading the second dose.

As it is, me and some medications don't get along very well.

Mimi22 Fri 05-Mar-21 18:32:23

You must all be sure to report any symptoms, no matter what they are, to the Yellow Card site - you are all part of this massive clinical trial (and will be through to 2023) and so have a responsibility to report back, no matter the time lapse. Those running the Clinical Trial need to know long term effects of the vaccines and you are the only ones that can tell them.

glammagran Fri 05-Mar-21 22:12:55

Will do Mimi22 I can’t of course, be sure, my symptoms have anything to to do with the vaccine.

nanna8 Sat 06-Mar-21 12:11:16

Luvaduck I feel nervous now. The vaccine is being rolled out very,very slowly here and now I’m quite glad. Only a very few have had it so far and they have said absolutely nothing about possible side effects. Not surprising, they never tell you that sort of thing here. I am sure it is better than the virus, though.