Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Twelve weeks on, Mum still hasn't been called for second jab!

(136 Posts)
MamaCaz Wed 17-Mar-21 17:38:29

How widespread is this?

Mum, who originally was supposed to have her second jab in January, three weeks after the first, has chased this up, and is apparently on the list to be called when the next batch of Pfizer is available at her vaccination centre, but she has been told that they don't know when that will be!

What's making Mum even more angry is knowing that she seems to be alone in this amongst her wide circle of friends, one of whom has even had the second jab after only eight weeks.

Meanwhile, a lot of her friends' younger family members (fifties, some even younger) have just had the Pfizer vaccination, though admittedly not in the same region.

Is this failure to give the second dose within twelve weeks widespread, or is my mum just unlucky?

suziewoozie Thu 18-Mar-21 11:48:41

Bluedaisy

We’ve also got a problem because we’ve moved recently to Sussex from Devon where DH and myself had our first vaccination DH in January and me 5 weeks ago. We’ve signed on with a new GP and the receptionist has told me because we’ve moved areas (5/6 hours away) we’ve got to go back to Devon to have our second vaccination which with our health conditions its completely out of the question! We both had the Pfizer vaccine and apparently our new GP surgery is only sent the Oxford one and only enough vaccine for the patients that have only been done so far with no extra which is utterly ridiculous. I’ve phoned the helpline and they can’t help us! Has anyone else moved areas and got the same problem? My DH is due to have his second shortly and I’ve no idea anymore what to do, the move has been stressful enough without this worry. If we don’t have the second one it will be through no fault of our own but it will stop us being able to go on holidays, cruises, mix with people in the future plus whatever else the government bring in rule wise in the future.

This is unbelievable. Here’s some suggestions from me ( no idea if they’ll help). Find out the Clinical Commissioning Group for your area and contact them or contact your local Health Group. Finally your new MP . The suggestion of returning to Devon is so beyond stupid

suziewoozie Thu 18-Mar-21 11:49:31

Sorry not Health Group but local Health Watch group

suziewoozie Thu 18-Mar-21 11:51:40

I think we also have to take into account the anxiety of an older vulnerable person.

jaylucy Thu 18-Mar-21 11:59:47

I was also about to suggest that if you have her NHS number, you book it yourself online.
From what I can gather, due to the storage problems with the Pfizer, it isn't being used as widely as the Astra Zeneca.
I can fully understand your mother's anger, frustration and fear as we are all told that it is imperative that we all have 2 jabs before we can return to what passes for normal life and just hope that it is possible for her to have her 2nd vaccination before too long.

AlpineGranny Thu 18-Mar-21 12:11:46

My husband had first Pfizer on Jan 14th and got call up today for his second. In London

Aepgirl Thu 18-Mar-21 12:16:47

I wasn’t expecting my second jab u til 12 weeks after the first, so I’ve got another couple of weeks to go.

There’s no point in getting in touch with your GO, we just have to be patient.

suziewoozie Thu 18-Mar-21 12:19:59

Aepgirl

I wasn’t expecting my second jab u til 12 weeks after the first, so I’ve got another couple of weeks to go.

There’s no point in getting in touch with your GO, we just have to be patient.

Sorry but when my second jab is due, if the surgery fobbed me off, there’s no way I’d be patient , and neither should I be.

B9exchange Thu 18-Mar-21 12:22:29

You can book just your second jab on the NHS.uk site, I would go ahead and do that. We booked DH's second AZ jab that way last night as he hadn't heard from the surgery. As a health informatician, I was quite impressed that the system could tell from his NHS number and DoB that he only needed the second jab, what he needed and when, and offered him a choice of appointments only on that day. There was only one site available, and it will be a 30 mile distance, but not a problem for us as we have a car. Slots keep coming up all the time, so my advice would be to keep checking every hour or so, and grab the first one you can get to.

Alioop Thu 18-Mar-21 12:22:42

Get on to your GP pronto. I'm 54yrs old and booked mine this morning online to go to a vaccination centre and got my date there and then and what date to go for my 2nd one.

suziewoozie Thu 18-Mar-21 12:25:51

B9exchange

You can book just your second jab on the NHS.uk site, I would go ahead and do that. We booked DH's second AZ jab that way last night as he hadn't heard from the surgery. As a health informatician, I was quite impressed that the system could tell from his NHS number and DoB that he only needed the second jab, what he needed and when, and offered him a choice of appointments only on that day. There was only one site available, and it will be a 30 mile distance, but not a problem for us as we have a car. Slots keep coming up all the time, so my advice would be to keep checking every hour or so, and grab the first one you can get to.

This is do good to know - a reassuring back up. Thank you. Maybe if those of us who can easily travel do this, it would mean more time locally for GPS to deal with those who can’t travel or need a home visit.

piano0156 Thu 18-Mar-21 12:32:20

The government made it plain that the time between the 2 jabs would be extended so that more people could have the 1st jab. I had mine on 21st January and don't when I will be notified about the 2nd so tell her not to worry.

suziewoozie Thu 18-Mar-21 12:55:32

piano0156

The government made it plain that the time between the 2 jabs would be extended so that more people could have the 1st jab. I had mine on 21st January and don't when I will be notified about the 2nd so tell her not to worry.

Sorry but I find that post really lacking understanding. No one’s saying they don’t understand about the 12 week gap. Some of us are saying that a vulnerable older woman has every right to be concerned and to be treated properly by her surgery. As for the nonsense the poor poster who moved from Devon is enduring, how can anyone tell her not to worry ?

Annethenan Thu 18-Mar-21 12:57:07

book online if able to travel to other venues, it doesn't have to be the same as the first jab

Babs758 Thu 18-Mar-21 12:59:30

Try to book through the central nHS site and if you have no luck contact the surgery and your mp. Our local councillors where I live are doing a very good job keeping a us all up to date via local Facebook groups abd sound certainly help if they knew of someone in this situation.

suziewoozie Thu 18-Mar-21 13:00:30

Annethenan

book online if able to travel to other venues, it doesn't have to be the same as the first jab

Sorry this is false information. There is research being carried out at the moment into mixing snd matching different vaccines , it is not accepted practice yet.

Schumee Thu 18-Mar-21 13:02:45

Where I live we didn’t get a date for the second vaccine we were told we would be contacted by GP surgery

Annethenan Thu 18-Mar-21 13:04:36

It doesn’t need to be the same venue

suziewoozie Thu 18-Mar-21 13:10:46

Annethenan

It doesn’t need to be the same venue

Apologies - I can see what you mean now

Sundaze Thu 18-Mar-21 13:12:40

I received an invitation letter from the NHS for my vaccination 3 weeks ago. I dithered for a day, thinking I'd hear from my GP, as I would have preferred to stay local.
In the end I decided to book via the NHS website as I hadn't been contacted by my Surgery. I had the ability to book the date for my 2nd dose whilst booking my 1st.
I have just received a text from my GP to say they were concentrating on cohort 6, and that I should book my vaccination through the NHS online system.
My husband had his 1st vaccination through our Surgery, and has now booked his 2nd one via the NHS online system. Once he'd put his date of birth and NHS number in, it knew he only required his 2nd vaccination, and only offered appointment slots 11 weeks forward of his 1st dose.

PippaZ Thu 18-Mar-21 13:15:42

suziewoozie

Of course the NHS is doing a great job but here we have an elderly woman who had her first second dose cancelled. The surgery don’t seem to appreciate how concerned she must be feeling to be told they don’t know when she’ll get it. This isn’t good enough and there’s no excuse for it. Surgeries are receiving funding for this work and should use some of it by employing maybe a temp to sort out problems like this.

Again I would ask, what do you think they can do that they aren't doing already?

It's brilliant to hear the praise because all those involved in the vaccine deserve it. The best thing anyone can do for this lady is to reassure her, surely.

Daisend1 Thu 18-Mar-21 13:33:59

My first, Pfizer. was given beginning January
Was told second in April. I am confident in the protection the initial dose is giving but not pushing my luck.Happy to wait for the second before 'letting my hair down' and living my usualgrinlife style before this virus invaded our lives.

annodomini Thu 18-Mar-21 13:40:33

Our practice has kept us well informed on Facebook and they have been told not to administer the 2nd doses (Pfizer) before 11 or 12 weeks. That means I am about 3 weeks from my 2nd dose. My sister, in Scotland, was given an appointment for her 2nd when she had the 1st.

suziewoozie Thu 18-Mar-21 13:42:48

PippaZ

suziewoozie

Of course the NHS is doing a great job but here we have an elderly woman who had her first second dose cancelled. The surgery don’t seem to appreciate how concerned she must be feeling to be told they don’t know when she’ll get it. This isn’t good enough and there’s no excuse for it. Surgeries are receiving funding for this work and should use some of it by employing maybe a temp to sort out problems like this.

Again I would ask, what do you think they can do that they aren't doing already?

It's brilliant to hear the praise because all those involved in the vaccine deserve it. The best thing anyone can do for this lady is to reassure her, surely.

Not the NHS per se but the surgery of the OP’s mother. She doesn’t want imo reassurance but to be taken seriously and a solution found.

Caro57 Thu 18-Mar-21 13:45:16

Mine is put back by a week

grannybuy Thu 18-Mar-21 13:48:31

Here, in NE Scotland, mass centre in an exhibition centre. They aren't giving dates for second ones. It's five weeks since my first (Pfizer) but will have to wait for a letter re second.