Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Twelve weeks on, Mum still hasn't been called for second jab!

(136 Posts)
MamaCaz Wed 17-Mar-21 17:38:29

How widespread is this?

Mum, who originally was supposed to have her second jab in January, three weeks after the first, has chased this up, and is apparently on the list to be called when the next batch of Pfizer is available at her vaccination centre, but she has been told that they don't know when that will be!

What's making Mum even more angry is knowing that she seems to be alone in this amongst her wide circle of friends, one of whom has even had the second jab after only eight weeks.

Meanwhile, a lot of her friends' younger family members (fifties, some even younger) have just had the Pfizer vaccination, though admittedly not in the same region.

Is this failure to give the second dose within twelve weeks widespread, or is my mum just unlucky?

ann678tifney Thu 18-Mar-21 13:56:06

I had my first one 3 weeks ago, but wasn't given date for 2nd, told if we hadn't heard anything by week 8 to contact the surgery. Some people I know were given the dates of the 2nd one when they got the first one, I think it depends on where you get it done.

Kamiso Thu 18-Mar-21 14:22:38

suziewoozie

Of course the NHS is doing a great job but here we have an elderly woman who had her first second dose cancelled. The surgery don’t seem to appreciate how concerned she must be feeling to be told they don’t know when she’ll get it. This isn’t good enough and there’s no excuse for it. Surgeries are receiving funding for this work and should use some of it by employing maybe a temp to sort out problems like this.

It’s a massive undertaking that has never been done before and the odd blip is bound to happen. Why not use some initiative and make some enquires?

Much better than so much pent up bitterness and anger.

One jab gives 80% protection and as long as you aren’t planning to attend an illegal rave or ignore the advice given by expert virologists you/she should be fine.

PippaZ Thu 18-Mar-21 14:35:32

suziewoozie
Not the NHS per se but the surgery of the OP’s mother. She doesn’t want imo reassurance but to be taken seriously and a solution found.

But there may actually not be a solution at that moment in time. Let's look at the actual OP.

Mum, who originally was supposed to have her second jab in January, three weeks after the first, has chased this up, and is apparently on the list to be called when the next batch of Pfizer is available at her vaccination centre, but she has been told that they don't know when that will be!

So, no one is getting the second vaccine three weeks after the first. Someone needs to make this lady understand that, since the vacines started, it was always going to be 12 weeks. This vaccine is not yet late!

Add to this they have told her she will be called and that they do not know when that will be. It seems to me a little patience would go a long way for this lady.

We don't actually know if they tried to reasure her or not - it's all hearsay from a very irritated lady who can't have what she want's when she want's it. We can understand that this may be due to lack of knowledge and concern on the part of the elderly lady but, as I said before, reassurance from her family would probably be the best thing for her and it's all that is on offer at the momement.

PippaZ Thu 18-Mar-21 14:37:29

All vaccines with on 'c' should have had two. The second may come along in 12 weeks smile

PippaZ Thu 18-Mar-21 14:37:54

-on- one!!!

grandmac Thu 18-Mar-21 14:40:40

My daughter together with 2 colleagues, front line dental workers, had their second jabs (Astra Zeneca) due end of this month after 12 week interval, cancelled. The number they were given to contact is "unavailable". The appointments were cancelled 3 weeks ago, no reason given or any further information. What are they supposed to do?

effalump Thu 18-Mar-21 14:42:27

Kind of makes a mockery of the old "has to be taken within 3 weeks for it be effective" doesn't it. A bit like when they said that once you had both jabs you'll get your freedom back. Just as long as you socially distance and keep wearing a mask, or maybe two just to make sure. I stopped listening to the Govt. a long time ago.

suziewoozie Thu 18-Mar-21 15:14:46

PippaZ

suziewoozie
Not the NHS per se but the surgery of the OP’s mother. She doesn’t want imo reassurance but to be taken seriously and a solution found.

But there may actually not be a solution at that moment in time. Let's look at the actual OP.

So, no one is getting the second vaccine three weeks after the first. Someone needs to make this lady understand that, since the vacines started, it was always going to be 12 weeks. This vaccine is not yet late!

Add to this they have told her she will be called and that they do not know when that will be. It seems to me a little patience would go a long way for this lady.

We don't actually know if they tried to reasure her or not - it's all hearsay from a very irritated lady who can't have what she want's when she want's it. We can understand that this may be due to lack of knowledge and concern on the part of the elderly lady but, as I said before, reassurance from her family would probably be the best thing for her and it's all that is on offer at the momement.

Read the thread title.

“We don't actually know if they tried to reasure her or not - it's all hearsay from a very irritated lady who can't have what she want's when she want's it. “

What an awful way to talk about the OP’s mother. I actually believe the OP who is a long term poster who, as far as I know, is not prone to make up stories or be usually irrate.

queenofsaanich69 Thu 18-Mar-21 15:44:07

The world watches with envy at GB efficiency,In BC Canada they just started to inject 95 year olds last week,although high risk people have already had the shot.Here you have to phone in to book a shot,imagine that chaos.We mid 70’s should get it in April and will have to wait 16 weeks for the second shot apparently.I thought this might put your situation into perspective,Good Luck all and Good Health.

suziewoozie Thu 18-Mar-21 15:46:59

queenofsaanich69

The world watches with envy at GB efficiency,In BC Canada they just started to inject 95 year olds last week,although high risk people have already had the shot.Here you have to phone in to book a shot,imagine that chaos.We mid 70’s should get it in April and will have to wait 16 weeks for the second shot apparently.I thought this might put your situation into perspective,Good Luck all and Good Health.

It’s very sad the situation in so many parts of the world. But we judge what’s happening to us by the standards prevailing here.

Greciangirl Thu 18-Mar-21 15:58:13

Had my first Pfizer jab end of January.
No date given for the second one yet
I phoned 119 to enquire about second date but they were unable to give me one.
Same at my doctors surgery.
I find it puzzling that a large proportion of people were given second dates, and a large proportion were not.

Noreen3 Thu 18-Mar-21 16:09:48

I was given an appointment for my 2nd one,for 11 weeks after,at the time I went for my first one,at a vaccine centre.They seem to be messing some people about,I wouldn't be very pleased if I hadn't heard anything after 12 weeks

MamaCaz Thu 18-Mar-21 17:14:43

PippaZ "^Someone needs to make this lady understand that, since the vacines started, it was always going to be 12 weeks. This vaccine is not yet late!^"

You are wrong on both counts.
Firstly, it was not "always" going to be twelve weeks between vaccines. My mum had her first vaccine before Christmas, when a second dose was both expected and scheduled for three weeks later. The decision to extend the gap to twelve weeks came later, and her second appointment cancelled (at very short notice, in her case).

Secondly, it is now more than twelve weeks since her first dose so yes, the vaccine IS late!

As for the rest of what you said, quite frankly, I'm not going to waste my time.

PippaZ Thu 18-Mar-21 17:17:46

suziewoozie:
What an awful way to talk about the OP’s mother. I actually believe the OP who is a long term poster who, as far as I know, is not prone to make up stories or be usually irrate.

My goodness, your nose is put out for some reason isn't it. Yes, it may be twelve weeks but if the surgery hasn't got the vaccine it hasn't got the vaccine. I think the mother has every right to be irate. I just don't think adding to it from the outside helps.

I don't think I said anything about the OP - you seem to know her personally and well but she doesn't need defending from me unless suggesting all that can be done is for the family to offer reassurance has suddenly become "awful".

It's not a great situation but you or anyone else getting het up about it really can't possibly help and you were quite strident in your replies re the situation, Did you not expect a similar reply defending the work of those involved in the vaccine rollout? I think many feel quite strongly about that.

Kamiso Thu 18-Mar-21 17:18:20

effalump

Kind of makes a mockery of the old "has to be taken within 3 weeks for it be effective" doesn't it. A bit like when they said that once you had both jabs you'll get your freedom back. Just as long as you socially distance and keep wearing a mask, or maybe two just to make sure. I stopped listening to the Govt. a long time ago.

Unfortunately so did a lot of other self absorbed people and that’s why we went back into lockdown.

suziewoozie Thu 18-Mar-21 17:20:41

Pippa in my opinion, you owe Mama an apology and you should be more careful about reading the full thread including the title before making negative, judgemental, potentially hurtful comments. Threads like this should be supportive and helpful and indeed some of us did give useful suggestions and support. I hope it’s sorted soon * Mama*

MamaCaz Thu 18-Mar-21 17:21:11

PippaZ "Someone needs to make this lady understand that, since the vacines started, it was always going to be 12 weeks. This vaccine is not yet late!"

You are wrong on both counts.
Firstly, it was not "always" going to be twelve weeks between vaccines. My mum had her first vaccine before Christmas, when a second dose was both expected and scheduled for three weeks later. The decision to extend the gap to twelve weeks came later, and her second appointment cancelled (at very short notice, in her case).

Secondly, it is now more than twelve weeks since her first dose so yes, the vaccine IS late!

As for the rest of what you said, quite frankly, I'm not going to waste my time

Kamiso Thu 18-Mar-21 17:22:08

queenofsaanich69

How does that work if people are all trying to ring in at the same time?

suziewoozie Thu 18-Mar-21 17:24:30

Crossed posts Pippa. I’m sorry you feel so defensive. This thread seems to be going the way of so many threads these days on GN but I hope the positive suggestions and advice are helpful to those who need it. I’m grateful for the information about being able to use the NHS site for a second jab

PippaZ Thu 18-Mar-21 17:26:06

Greciangirl

Had my first Pfizer jab end of January.
No date given for the second one yet
I phoned 119 to enquire about second date but they were unable to give me one.
Same at my doctors surgery.
I find it puzzling that a large proportion of people were given second dates, and a large proportion were not.

It seems that if you booked online and were prepared to travel then you could book both dates at that time. I suppose there is a chance these second dates could be cancelled or changed if the deliveries get more difficult.

The local centres run by GPs were much smaller and you did not use the online booking for them so were called when the centre knew they had the vaccine.

This was, I assume, to get as many vaccinated as quickly as possible. I don't think it was ever expected to be a perfect system but it has been stunningly successful overall so far - this is a blip and a worrying one if it's your appointment - but hopefully a short-term one.

Kamiso Thu 18-Mar-21 17:29:29

Not heard of a three week gap before. It’s always been 12 weeks here.

I am just so grateful we are not in the EU and having to deal with UVDL and her casual approach to life and death for other people’s lives. Beyond evil but hardly surprising!

granjan Thu 18-Mar-21 17:31:24

Can quite understand the angst of your Mother, MamaCaz.
Second Jab’s were indeed originally 3 weeks after the first. I had my first 30th December, with the second jab booked for 20th January. I think it was about the 30th Dec, the same day I was first vaccinated, it was announced it would ‘now be within 12 weeks’ before anyone had the second jab. Not surprisingly mine for the 20th January was cancelled, and the surgery could only tell me it would be ‘towards the end of March’. A friend who had their vaccination the first week of the roll out, however, just made it in time, and had his 3 weeks later!
Happy to say I had it done today, 11 weeks and 1 day after the first! The surgery phoned me a week ago.
Is it possible to email your Mums surgery, rather than phone them?

PippaZ Thu 18-Mar-21 17:37:20

suziewoozie

Crossed posts Pippa. I’m sorry you feel so defensive. This thread seems to be going the way of so many threads these days on GN but I hope the positive suggestions and advice are helpful to those who need it. I’m grateful for the information about being able to use the NHS site for a second jab

I don't feel in the least defensive suziewoozie I just don't think you can't attack the service we have been given when all that can be done for the mother concerned is reassure her that as soon as her vaccine can be done it will be done. I don't believe continued calls to the surgery or contacting your MP will make the supplies of vaccine come any quicker than they are.

We still do have supplies coming in and if anyone should be commenting on this it should be the under-50s who will have to wait; second vaccinations will come first.

I have no idea what you mean by This thread seems to be going the way of so many threads these days on GN ... I just want to get and give as many facts as possible. Blaming the messenger doesn't seem to help as far as I can see.

PippaZ Thu 18-Mar-21 17:40:47

can't can

suziewoozie Thu 18-Mar-21 17:57:25

Pippa please try to read my post again. I’m critical of the fact that you were inaccurate and unkind in your comments to the OP. Please do not try shifting the argument to be about something it’s not.

One last time this is what you posted

‘We don't actually know if they tried to reasure her or not - it's all hearsay from a very irritated lady who can't have what she want's when she want's it. “