Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

AZ Vaccine ‘100% effective’ against severe COVID

(77 Posts)
Blossoming Mon 22-Mar-21 19:55:16

Some good news from trials in the US.

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/astrazeneca-vaccine-100-effective-against-severe-covid_uk_60585432c5b6d6c2a2a848da?ncid=APPLENEWS00001

fraz1946 Tue 23-Mar-21 13:56:37

Well grandtanteJE65 my opinion on your post is that you are crackers not to have the life saving jab. Fine if you want to get ill and perhaps die. Your choice. However, by risking your own health you also risk compromising the health of many, many others which is extremely selfish of you. For goodness sake woman - get real and educate yourself with the actual facts rather than allowing yourself to be manipulated by the false information put about by others as crackers as you

Peasblossom Tue 23-Mar-21 14:22:25

I wish I could dispel your doubts grandetante. There’s millions of us (literally) who’ve had AZ and are just fine.

Really, honestly just fine. ??

Callistemon Tue 23-Mar-21 15:00:33

DH had the AZ one and has been fine.
I had 2nd Pfizer one last week and have felt unwell since, especially with a really sore throat.
I would never say don't have it but I wonder if I'd have had these flu-like symptoms with the AZ vaccine?

hilz Tue 23-Mar-21 15:16:48

I for one am holding onto this new research. If it prevents severe disease its a no brainer for me. smile

starstella Tue 23-Mar-21 15:48:28

Start thinking of others rather then your self.Have the jab for the greater good.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Tue 23-Mar-21 16:18:42

It is such a shame that there has been such anti vax info put out, resulting in people being fearful of having it. We have had the AZ jab and only had short lasting side effects, which were a minuscule version of having covid, which we had late last year. No blood clot problems here.

scourw Tue 23-Mar-21 16:18:43

I have been struggling with a condition that appears to be remarkably similar to long covid for the past thirty years (after a run of viral illnesses) and I truly would not wish this on my worst enemy and can't understand how anyone would risk it, quite apart from the short term effects

scourw Tue 23-Mar-21 16:20:15

By the way, I've had my first (AZ) jab.

Luckygirl Tue 23-Mar-21 16:23:04

grandtanteJE65 - good grief - words fail me!

Such splendid news about the Oxford vaccine. How lucky we all are to have these dedicated scientists working for the well-being of all.

Kapitan Tue 23-Mar-21 16:25:56

Grandtante. We don't need your anti-vax comments on here.

Johannathemagnificent Tue 23-Mar-21 16:32:02

Having the vaccine doesn't stop you from dying or passing on the virus. It just lessons the impact.

Ro60 Tue 23-Mar-21 16:32:53

Congratulations to all who've had their jabs - had my first Friday (Astra Zenica)
Thank you to all the ❤ carers who've had theirs to protect others.
I too think people working in care should have vaccines to work. Just like in hospitals.
DD had hers on Sunday - she had the normal flu jab in October & had anaphylaxis to that. (She carries epi-pen & antihistamines so no alarm) The Astra Zenica vaccine gave her no such reaction. ?

Greciangirl Tue 23-Mar-21 16:36:53

I am sick of hearing about vaccines, are they safe or not?

Surely we should all be thankful that there is something that will relieve us of this nasty killer bug.

Each year the flue vaccine has to be tweaked.
No one seems to think that might be unsafe, do they?

Just go ahead and have the jab, it might just save your life.

grannysyb Tue 23-Mar-21 16:38:50

Anecdotally I understand that people have a reaction to the first dose of AstraZeneca, but less with the second dose and that it's the other way round with the Pfizer! I should get my second dose of the Pfizer in a few weeks, I'll let you know!

TanaMa Tue 23-Mar-21 16:43:04

Anybody who refuses a covid vaccination, regardless of which one, should be refused medical care if they subsequently become ill! If they were ill they would soon be wanting injections of other medicines. A very selfish point if view.

seadragon Tue 23-Mar-21 16:45:11

I've had the AZ vaccination and it was the one I was hoping to receive. Not only because the manufacturer has been working on a Covid vaccine for 10 years which they have modified to identify Covid-19 and provoke an immune response to it, but also because they have pledged to provide it at cost, at least until July and possibly beyond if the pandemic continues. I have 3 stents in my heart so blood clots are something I worry about in general. However life is a risk and I believe this vaccine is a risk worth taking.

Alegrias1 Tue 23-Mar-21 16:48:05

Johannathemagnificent

Having the vaccine doesn't stop you from dying or passing on the virus. It just lessons the impact.

Look at the way deaths have fallen off a cliff recently, more so in the groups that have already been vaccinated. Also the OP link tells us that it does indeed stop you from dying because it provides 100% protection from severe disease. You don't get severe disease, you don't die.

Well, you die eventually, but not from COVID.

Initial analysis from Scotland shows transmission of COVID in households where people were vaccinated was down by about 30%. If you don't get the severe disease, you can't pass it on so easily.

maddyone Tue 23-Mar-21 17:10:03

Johannathemagnificent

Incorrect. AZ is 100% at preventing serious illness or death. Stop spreading false information.

Lizbethann55 Tue 23-Mar-21 17:57:22

I never doubted either of the vaccines. I had the Pfizer, but only because that was the one being used that day. I would gladly have either.

With regards to the blood clots scare, doesn't the Pill cause blood clots in many women, yet how many millions of women take it for year after year?

Aveline Tue 23-Mar-21 18:01:48

When we have the yearly flu vaccine we just have 'the flu vaccine'. No fuss about which flu vaccine.
I had the Pfizer one and had absolutely no reaction to it. I fear there might be a reaction to the second one but I'll be knocking on the vaccine centre door when my turn comes!

M0nica Tue 23-Mar-21 18:21:53

johanna etc How do you lessen the impact of dying. I thought one was either dead or alive. Can one just be mildly dead?

The COVID vaccinbe works exactly like any other vaccine. In most cases it protects you from the disease, but if you do get it, you get it mildly. That is exactly what happened to my children with whooping cough and one of them with measles. They got it despite vaccination, but very mildly.

Damdee Tue 23-Mar-21 19:17:17

I had the AZ vaccine and suffered some unpleasant reaction afterwards - but totally worth it. I think those who refuse the vaccine are selfish.

Callistemon Tue 23-Mar-21 19:26:27

Johannathemagnificent

I really want to know how to do that. Please enlighten us as to how to lessen the impact of dying.

It is usually quite impactful.

Witzend Tue 23-Mar-21 19:33:37

Even though those who rubbished the AZ have now acknowledge that they were mistaken, Grandtante?
Macron et al did a good job, then.

If there are many more like you - and it would seem that there are plenty across the EU - I dare say that anyone with a hefty shareholding in the five times more expensive Pfizer will be rubbing their hands and putting Macron on their Christmas card list.

M0nica Tue 23-Mar-21 19:37:00

Callistemon I doubt either of us will get an answer. The people who post these misleading and erroneous posts, never stay around, just cut and run.