Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Have you learned anything from lockdown?

(149 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Tue 23-Mar-21 14:55:51

Hopefully we are nearing the end and freedom is in sight.

I was reflecting this morning on how I have coped with lockdown, and realised that part of me has actually quite enjoyed it.

I have learned to take life at a slower pace and I am appreciating the “no call” on my day.

I have definitely learned to relax into this quieter way of life and my day has taken on a new rhythm which has given me happiness and contentment.

On the other hand? the other part of me is planning like mad to have a big family do to celebrate my DD’s 50th and the end of lockdown, I’m so looking forward to restaurants and the theatre again and of course holidays.

BlueBelle Tue 23-Mar-21 15:26:50

There is absolutely nothing about lockdown that I ve enjoyed... there’s nothing that I couldn’t have done without my freedom being taken away, I hate that I can’t do my voluntary work and that my grandkids can’t lead normal lives and my children are working under stress
I can have serenity and down time and relax, any day of the year without having to be forced to stay away from family and friends and work and even what bit of limited fun that you have in your 70 s / 80 s
Oh yes restaurants, coffee house, cinema, theatre, a day out, a meet up with a friend a hug no I will miss NOTHING of this enforced solitary life

Summerlove Tue 23-Mar-21 15:31:03

I can honestly say that other than worrying about having certain shopping in stock, I very much enjoyed the first few weeks of the original lock down with nowhere to go and nothing to do.

After that, I started to really chafe at being stuck without a social life.

I am very introverted, and so thought this was what I had been training my entire life for, but it turns out I desperately miss people.

rosie1959 Tue 23-Mar-21 15:37:10

It was ok the first few weeks last year but now it is wearing thin itching to get back to a more normal existence including the hairdresser two weeks on Monday
I hope our roadmap works as set out with no more going back into any form of lockdown The idea to come out slowly with no reversal is the only thing that keeps me going
Quite frankly the country cannot afford anymore restrictions and we need to get on with life
Fot those that want to keep isolated that's fine but many dont

AGAA4 Tue 23-Mar-21 15:43:22

I have learned to be more resourceful during lockdown and feel glad that I have coped without seeing family and friends, but coping isn't living and I will be glad when restrictions are lifted.

Pantglas2 Tue 23-Mar-21 15:45:11

I don’t want to rain on your parade WWMk2 but I’m not sure I can see a happy ending to lockdown by virtue of the fact people are insisting on no travel until everyone has had the vaccine.

That means those who are refusing it on medical, religious and plain bloody mindedness can hold the rest of us to ransom and we’ll never be totally out!

I don’t mind the mask wearing and I’ve been sanitising for the last five years so haven’t caught a cold even on my travels, so would be happy to fly once Boris and Pedro (Sanchez) lift restrictions as I did last summer.

We had ten lovely weeks in mi Casa in Andalusia followed by total quarantine in Wales and would happily do it all again.

Biscuitmuncher Tue 23-Mar-21 16:05:51

I feel like the last year has been a living nightmare. People who've enjoyed it can crack on and continue with it! I've hated every single second

Urmstongran Tue 23-Mar-21 16:10:42

I feel deflated today to be honest. All this talk about we’re not out of it until everyone has been vaccinated (here, Europe, further afield?). It’s like Groundhog Day now. A bit of optimism followed by gloomy headlines. The number of cases in Paris, Nice and Berlin are frightening. We are on a merry-go-round. I can see no end to this, well not this year at any rate. Sorry to be gloomy.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 23-Mar-21 16:17:33

I am another one who just cannot see the end in sight.

glammanana Tue 23-Mar-21 16:23:42

This latest lockdown has affected me much more than the previous ones.I could at least have an outside conversation and a coffee to pass the time of day over Christmas but the past 3 months have been dire for me.

This morning I have cancelled my weeks holiday with my DD to Majorca in June and rebooked for next June,hopefully I can go to Scotland in September with my friend for 4 days but we will have to wait and see what happen's.

rosie1959 Tue 23-Mar-21 16:24:39

When Johnathan Van Tam spoke quite a while ago he said once we have vaccinated the vunerable death rates and hospital admissions will drop which is what is happening
When these figures drop there should be no need for restrictions that was the whole point of of vacinating the top 9 cohorts
Even better when the rest are done but we do not get loads of hospital admissions and deaths from these groups
But we still need to stop travel abroad until the rest of the world has caught up especially in popular resorts

Urmstongran Tue 23-Mar-21 16:45:28

The vaccine has protected Granny, half the adult population and the vulnerable. But the goal posts have been moved again. The ‘normality by Spring’ lie exposed, but we don't yet know why.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 23-Mar-21 16:56:07

Urmstongran

The vaccine has protected Granny, half the adult population and the vulnerable. But the goal posts have been moved again. The ‘normality by Spring’ lie exposed, but we don't yet know why.

I have never been into conspiracy theories but...

nanaK54 Tue 23-Mar-21 16:58:12

I have learned how much I like 'people', I miss normal social interaction

Urmstongran Tue 23-Mar-21 17:01:22

Chris Whitty is convinced there will be another big surge. So much for the roadmap we were all looking forward to.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 23-Mar-21 17:04:15

Oh bum, I wish I hadn’t started this.?

Urmstongran Tue 23-Mar-21 17:06:33

Sorry WW I’ve been wittering on (so what’s new you say) and I’ve not addressed your question. What I’ve learned from lockdown is that we’d better get used to it. I’ve learned that I’m okay for a good while and then I watch the news and I have a wobble. Like today. I’m feeling a bit tearful, which isn’t like me at all. I miss our daughter over in Yorkshire. Our apartment in Malaga. I don’t like this now because today I cannot see an end to living like this.

merlotgran Tue 23-Mar-21 17:10:25

I could say that Lockdown taught me that nothing is certain and to take nothing for granted but then I knew that anyway.

Today was the first proper gardening day of spring for me. DH would mark it by giving my secateurs a service and tease me about not looking after them properly. It felt symbolic to get them out of my bag and think back to the first few months of lockdown which we spent in quiet contentment in the garden.

I'm grateful for that time and those memories even though others were suffering and the news was often grim.

Although I'm sad that DH didn't live to see the end of Covid restrictions, for the first time in years I won't be worrying about his care needs when life (hopefully) moves on.

I have learned from Lockdown to deal with challenges as and when they crop up and not become stressed about things that may never happen.

Urmstongran Tue 23-Mar-21 17:12:43

Oh WW that comment made me laugh!

grumppa Tue 23-Mar-21 17:16:12

I can’t say I’ve enjoyed any of it, though there was a sort of pride to be felt in adjusting to cope when it all kicked off last March. Now it is just a depressing slog.

I never thought that one of the highlights of any year would be photographing the local churchyard through the seasons.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 23-Mar-21 17:16:35

I have realised that I am not an island, I miss face-to-face interaction with friends and family.

I have become far too lazy and once we are released I must crack on at the gym not just for my physical well-being but for my mental health also.

MaggieTulliver Tue 23-Mar-21 17:16:50

It’s been a nightmare as far as I’m concerned and am curious as to why anyone has found any positives. We’re not out of it yet and the affect it’s already had on society has been disastrous. A total change to how human society functions has huge implications and I’m scared about the future.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 23-Mar-21 17:17:14

Urmstongran

Oh WW that comment made me laugh!

? but I think you are all so right though. I can see a third wave, and I so wish we had been able push on even more with the vaccine (although I think we’ve done brilliantly) and hopefully it would be sufficient to prevent the third wave.

Daisend1 Tue 23-Mar-21 17:21:29

Realise just how much I took the most ordinary everyday things in life for granted UNTIL Covid came along.

Urmstongran Tue 23-Mar-21 17:21:55

I’m a bit scared too MaggieTulliver. The young people’s jobs, mental health issues for many, a three year (conservative estimate) backlog of NHS cases, the economy. I think I’ll cry if I think about it too much.