Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

No holidays until August

(60 Posts)
GagaJo Sun 28-Mar-21 16:09:18

Foreign holidays are unlikely to get the go-ahead until August, according to senior government figures.

Officials have warned that the government’s review of foreign holidays, due on April 12, will not recommend the restarting of international leisure travel until later in the summer.

The government’s roadmap out of lockdown has touted May 17 as the earliest possible date people would be able to take foreign holidays.

But this is looking increasingly unlikely and those who attempt to leave England to go on holiday will be fined £5,000 under new laws that kick in on Monday.

A high ranking source told the Sunday Times that the May 17 date was now looking “very optimistic” and said: “August is looking like the most likely moment.”

www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/foreign-holidays-august-b926663.html

AGAA4 Sun 28-Mar-21 16:43:21

August is a long way off in Covid times. Things change and change again and I don't think I would book anything this year.
I do hope people will be able to get some late summer sunshine but until we have all been vaccinated and the virus has become more manageable here and abroad I'm not sure if this will happen.

Kim19 Sun 28-Mar-21 16:47:38

I'm planning to do all my holidaying in the UK and hoping to start mid June.

GagaJo Sun 28-Mar-21 16:50:21

I do think they drip feed to pacify us. But it is understandable that travel may not be safe. We just need to have common sense.

Elusivebutterfly Sun 28-Mar-21 16:55:05

People really do not need to go abroad to have a holiday. Surely people can manage by staying at home or visiting some of the lovely places we have in the UK.
The only exception would be for those with family abroad and then obviously they would want to see their loved ones.

lemongrove Sun 28-Mar-21 16:59:41

You would think so Elusivebutterfly wouldn’t you, but there is no end to the ‘I need my hols lying in the burning sun’ complaints by all and sundry. Surely it’s enough to get our lives even slightly back on track without being off to catch/ spread the virus in foreign climes.
Every cloud has a silver lining and this year our tourist industry will recover.

TwiceAsNice Sun 28-Mar-21 17:04:46

We would be daft to go to Europe this summer in my opinion because they have many more cases than us at the moment. I would be very happy to have a holiday in the UK. My daughter looked at booking one but all the self catering options she looked at are asking literally thousands of pounds which we, and I think a lot of people, wouldn’t be able to afford. I think I won’t be having a holiday until next year at the earliest. I’ll be happy just to have a bit more freedom.

Galaxy Sun 28-Mar-21 17:06:56

People dont need pubs, meals out, etc etc. I couldnt care less if I never go in a shop again but I cant wait to go abroad.

Amberone Sun 28-Mar-21 17:21:58

People dont need pubs, meals out, etc etc.

Gosh, I didn't know that. Never got that memo and must have missed the committee meeting.

Much as I love travelling I can survive a year without. In fact, I could probably survive forever without, but I enjoy doing it. Am looking forward to sitting having a coffee and a natter somewhere nice, and the occasional meal in the garden of the local pub.

Smileless2012 Sun 28-Mar-21 17:27:04

Me too Amberone but as our DS lives in Aus. it's unlikely we wont be going abroad ever again, but not until at least 2023.

I can't wait to be able to go out for a meal.

Kate1949 Sun 28-Mar-21 17:27:56

I'd rather sit distanced outside a pub than on a flight with a mask on with a load of strangers.

Mapleleaf Sun 28-Mar-21 17:39:24

Holidaying abroad holds no appeal to me at the moment. I love travel, but it will have to stay on hold for the foreseeable.
The inevitable crowds when restrictions are lifted are another no no for me, too.

Jaxjacky Sun 28-Mar-21 17:50:01

People don’t ‘need’ holidays abroad either *Galaxy’ . We’ve booked UK for September and I can’t wait for our community pub to reopen, a place of salvation for those in the village on their own, never mind the rest of us.

Galaxy Sun 28-Mar-21 18:02:50

That was my point jaxjacky. People are saying that we dont need holidays, which is true but my point is we dont need pubs, etc either. But some people want to go to the pub just as some people want to go abroad. Both are fine. Different things are important to different people.

EllanVannin Sun 28-Mar-21 18:26:45

If anyone's that desperate to go abroad---go, at your own risk, which is what I'd say to anyone to stop them from moaning it's that simple !

BlueSky Sun 28-Mar-21 18:46:39

Same here Smiless we can commiserate together about our DC overseas!

GrannyGravy13 Sun 28-Mar-21 18:56:50

Spoke to our overseas AC , no chance of seeing them in the near future, their DD is marooned in mainland EU at College, it’s heartbreaking but like many thousands of other families we have to get on and accept it!!

Thoro Sun 28-Mar-21 18:57:13

Not holiday but would love to see my dd who lives in Italy (and has been vaccinated- teachers are a priority there).

Millie22 Sun 28-Mar-21 19:49:57

I agree with Kate and it looks like Spain is a no no for us again this year. Hopefully next year.

GrandmaKT Sun 28-Mar-21 20:02:26

Not bothered about going abroad for holidays at all. However, we would dearly love to be able to get to New Zealand next February for our DS' wedding (already postponed by a year) and our new GC. I wonder if it will be possible?

Kate1949 Sun 28-Mar-21 20:25:59

Very sad for people with families abroad.

Washerwoman Sun 28-Mar-21 20:36:51

I really feel for anyone with family overseas.I can understand how difficultvit must be to have your travel plans scuppered again.But as for not needing pubs,meals out etc ? Really !If I never went on holiday abroad again at least a nice day out or meal supporting local economies would make me happy.And be better for our messed up planet than flying.

Eloethan Sun 28-Mar-21 20:54:30

We usually go away in the UK with our grandchildren for a week in the summer holidays. My husband and I haven't been abroad for about three years and I was rather hoping to do so this year as we have had a pretty terrible year with two close bereavements. But I have been unable to book self catering accommodation anywhere, even at the very expensive end of the market. Virtually everything is booked up. I think we will just have to make do with days out.

My husband's family is abroad and I don't think it's unreasonable for people to feel upset that they won't be able to see their families for the foreseeable future.

Of course, people don't "need" lots of things - TV, cinema, theatre, pubs, restaurants, etc, etc., and to some extent it is good not to rely too much on external entertainment and facilities. However, while I enjoy going for long walks with my dog in the forest during the summer, I find it tedious being stuck at home through the winter months. And UK holidays are great if you get at least a few days of good weather, but if you are unlucky enough to have a week of virtually solid rain it can be very disappointing.

Ellianne Sun 28-Mar-21 21:00:31

Of course it was too late to implement anything similar for this summer, but how would it be if different parts of the country had different summer holiday dates? Other European countries have 3 or 4 different zones, the idea being to relieve traffic on the roads and to spread people out.

Ellianne Sun 28-Mar-21 21:05:50

As an example