Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Lateral flow tests

(39 Posts)
Shinamae Sun 04-Apr-21 23:35:04

Late last March I tested positive for Covid, this was at the local hospital where all the staff at the care home were tested because obviously back then we did not have tests in the home, we had no idea how this was going to unfold.This February I tested positive for Covid and had to stay indoors for 10 days, the test I did at the care home I work in was the PCR test. We have been asked to do lateral flow tests at home by the care home, twice a week. As I had tested positive for the PCR test,in those 10 days I did three lateral flow tests And they were all negative so I don’t know how much faith I have in these tests.. well I do actually……….. Personally very little..

suziewoozie Sun 04-Apr-21 23:51:48

The debate about LFT seems completely muddled. I’m left with the impression that they are only helpful if you are symptomatic but we know many people are asymptomatic. Also, carrying out the test properly seems understandably to matter. Personally, I don’t understand the faith that seems to be placed in them.

suziewoozie Sun 04-Apr-21 23:54:17

I’ve just read what I’ve posted and that’s muddled as well. I think I mean, if you actually have Covid but are asymptomatic, many such cases will not test positive with a LFT

Margiknot Mon 05-Apr-21 00:04:41

We ( nhs staff) have been told to use the LFT to check regularly for asymptomatic Covid, but if we have symptoms we have to book a PCR test. My understanding is that LFT pick up people shedding significant virus so in theory can at least stop some of the asymptomatic carriers unknowingly spreading it to others. I guess anything that helps working people who mix with others ( or school children) know when they need to self isolate helps reduce the potential for spread, even if LFT miss some affected people.

suziewoozie Mon 05-Apr-21 08:22:40

I agree that it will pick up some people. My concern is that they are now to be very widely available and people are being sold the idea that a negative LFT means you don’t have Covid. That’s not true. The messaging is ( deliberately?) not clear.

Oopsadaisy1 Mon 05-Apr-21 08:47:31

If it says Negative why wouldn’t it be true ( unless it’s a false negative) asymptomatic sufferers will show a positive test result, if it’s done properly, wont they?
Otherwise what is the point?
I’m more concerned that it won’t be done properly. DD had one done before she went into Hospital and she said it was so very painful when they put the stick up her nose, so I’m assuming that it was done in the proper way, I can’t see many people wanting to hurt themselves twice a week.

Shinamae Mon 05-Apr-21 09:03:08

Well my worry is that I did the test properly had been doing it for weeks twice a week at home, and if you don’t do the test correctly it shows you and you have to do it again. My concern is testing negative with those tests when I had tested positive with the PCR. My belief is that the lateral flow test only pick up if you have a high infection rate,people are going to be coming in our care homes which obviously is a good thing to see their relatives but I have no faith in these tests I’m afraid and hope Full PPE and only holding hands will help because the last thing we need is this virus ripping through our care home AGAIN!

Shinamae Mon 05-Apr-21 09:28:19

suziewoozie

I agree that it will pick up some people. My concern is that they are now to be very widely available and people are being sold the idea that a negative LFT means you don’t have Covid. That’s not true. The messaging is ( deliberately?) not clear.

Exactly SuzieW....?‍♀️

Shinamae Mon 05-Apr-21 09:35:28

Doing it on Jeremy Vine now, the test....

Margiknot Mon 05-Apr-21 09:39:20

I agree Suzie and Shinamae. The message needs to be clearer. The government website for reporting a negative LFT does say ‘ you probably don’t have Covid’ or something similar. I wonder if a more reliable easy to use test will become available?

suziewoozie Mon 05-Apr-21 09:59:18

Margiknot

I agree Suzie and Shinamae. The message needs to be clearer. The government website for reporting a negative LFT does say ‘ you probably don’t have Covid’ or something similar. I wonder if a more reliable easy to use test will become available?

That would be the holy grail wouldn’t it? There must be lots of research going on as it would be a real money spinner. Can you imagine one that just relied on saliva for example?

Franbern Mon 05-Apr-21 10:21:30

I really do wonder how many of secondary school pupils do these tests twice a week properly. Very, very few I suspect. NO idea why they have been told to continue with this during their school holidays.

I feel that these LFT's are just there rather like the Emperors New Robes, to make us think everything is being done to keep everyone safe. I am sure the money could be spent far better.

Shinamae Mon 05-Apr-21 10:44:01

The point is that even if everybody does do the lateral flow test properly (very unlikely)the results are not to be trusted!As I have said before it apparently only picks up a high level of infection so somebody could come into our care home,test negative on the lateral flow but still have a low level infection and bring it in to our vulnerable people but saying that thankfully all staff and residents have had the vaccine.... although as we know that is not necessarily going to stop an infection being passed on just have to keep our fingers crossed which will probably be as much help as the lateral flow test!...?‍♀️

EllanVannin Mon 05-Apr-21 10:47:47

That'll be all, something stuck up my nose where it'll cause a nose-bleed which will either stop or it won't because of blasted warfarin again ( rolls eyes ) dependent on clotting time.

Shinamae Mon 05-Apr-21 12:21:05

Franbern

I really do wonder how many of secondary school pupils do these tests twice a week properly. Very, very few I suspect. NO idea why they have been told to continue with this during their school holidays.

I feel that these LFT's are just there rather like the Emperors New Robes, to make us think everything is being done to keep everyone safe. I am sure the money could be spent far better.

Franbern I definitely agree with your last paragraph ?? and it will have cost millions if not billions....?‍♀️

PaperMonster Mon 05-Apr-21 12:37:50

Known of a couple of people now in educational settings, doing the lateral flow tests with symptoms and they’ve come back negative, but positive on the proper test. Have no confidence in them whatsoever.

Margiknot Mon 05-Apr-21 12:59:28

I’ve just read in the Times that LFT will be offered to all adults for twice weekly testing! ( I’m a bit late reading the news today) apparently it is due to be announced!

maddyone Mon 05-Apr-21 13:53:47

I don’t see the point in a test if it’s not reliable.

suziewoozie Mon 05-Apr-21 14:01:45

maddyone

I don’t see the point in a test if it’s not reliable.

I suppose the point is what % you are looking for. It’s not as good as the PCR test but it does seem that sufficient evidence from large enough trials is not available.

Margiknot Mon 05-Apr-21 15:49:33

I suppose it’s also how the result of a test with intermediate sensitivity is used. If a positive test result tells people they are very likely very infectious and should immediately isolate to protect others that’s one thing ( useful) but a negative test can happen in people who do have infection so if a negative LTF test result were to allow people to abandon all other measures and go out and party that would be very unsafe. I think the reason we have to test twice a week with LFT is to try and catch infection when it is detectable for these simple but less sensitive tests. I think I read that the more sensitive PCR tests can test test positive for a while after an infected person is no longer actually infectious enough to pass on the infection. So I suppose used correctly and with caution ( positive test =stop and isolate and get a more accurate PCR, negative does not mean abandon all precautions) they are better than nothing?

maddyone Mon 05-Apr-21 17:18:07

I think I’d expect a very high accuracy and they don’t have that. I won’t be taking them.

Teacheranne Mon 05-Apr-21 17:24:41

Shinamae

Well my worry is that I did the test properly had been doing it for weeks twice a week at home, and if you don’t do the test correctly it shows you and you have to do it again. My concern is testing negative with those tests when I had tested positive with the PCR. My belief is that the lateral flow test only pick up if you have a high infection rate,people are going to be coming in our care homes which obviously is a good thing to see their relatives but I have no faith in these tests I’m afraid and hope Full PPE and only holding hands will help because the last thing we need is this virus ripping through our care home AGAIN!

How can it show that the swab has not been used properly just by testing it? Surely as long as it has some cells ( or whatever) on it, the chemicals will react or not, regardless of how far back in the throat you pushed it? I had a test at a drive in centre by a medical person and the swap went so far down my throat I was gagging and almost vomited. And when it went up my nose I thought it would bore through to my brain!

When I see people doing three own swabs on TV, they are certainly not torturing themselves like I was - unless I just happened to have a rather sadistic person doing my test.

Shinamae Mon 05-Apr-21 21:37:40

Teacheranne there is a positive result,a negative result and then there is this..

Ro60 Tue 06-Apr-21 01:16:06

2.8 billion dollars awarded to Inova Medical - based in California to supply the UK. Guess someone's benefiting again.
Having seen Panarama ' inside a covid test lab's last week I have no faith in tests any more.
The sad thing is people Are still getting ill.

wendyann23 Tue 06-Apr-21 06:31:23

Just another waste of taxpayers money. I certainly won’t be taking 2 tests a week. Difficult to use and unreliable results.