Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Lateral flow tests

(40 Posts)
Shinamae Sun 04-Apr-21 23:35:04

Late last March I tested positive for Covid, this was at the local hospital where all the staff at the care home were tested because obviously back then we did not have tests in the home, we had no idea how this was going to unfold.This February I tested positive for Covid and had to stay indoors for 10 days, the test I did at the care home I work in was the PCR test. We have been asked to do lateral flow tests at home by the care home, twice a week. As I had tested positive for the PCR test,in those 10 days I did three lateral flow tests And they were all negative so I don’t know how much faith I have in these tests.. well I do actually……….. Personally very little..

growstuff Tue 06-Apr-21 10:22:59

I agree with you wendyann23. I'm not sticking anything up my nose when I know that I haven't been anywhere to catch Covid19.

My local authority is supposed to have home tests available for all residents, but I've heard that they've run out and don't know when they'll get any more.

It worries me that these tests are being hailed as the solution to keeping schools, care homes and other places open because they're so unreliable. I can't honestly see many teenagers doing the tests properly, if at all.

The cost of them is also worrying.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 06-Apr-21 10:30:40

I am beginning to lose confidence a bit.

I thought that the vaccine was the way forward, so why is the government pushing a test that is known to be unreliable?

Surely continued social distancing and keeping to the covid rules must be the case until as many of the population as possible are vaccinated.

Relying on a test that is so unreliable will surely contribute to the further spread if covid.

faringdon59 Tue 06-Apr-21 10:37:42

Yes, I too wonder just how many secondary pupils are doing this.
On Sunday morning I had one son and two granddaughters come round to visit.
As it was both sunny and warm we were able to sit out in the garden.
But I was really anxious whenever the girls moved closer to me!
I've not been part of a support bubble as they were in one with the other grandma.
I'm aged nearly 66 and have just recently returned to work in a local Community Hospital.
During my work I feel in a protected environment, but I'm starting to have concerns about indoor mixing for households.
Had my first jab back at start of Feb and due the next one this month and then it's 3 weeks after until it takes effect.
After a year of being mentally conditioned to think about safety every day I'm struggling as we take these next steps. Would be interested in thoughts on this?

Margiknot Tue 06-Apr-21 15:41:31

Faringdon your post has made me think! I am the same age as you and have just emerged from shielding,( and just had my second vaccine) so know what you mean. I am not comfortable in doors or anywhere crowded. Frankly work is a worry (DH and disabled adult DS are also vulnerable.
At present the people most at risk of becoming severely ill ( those on cancer treatment, older and clinically vulnerable) are mostly not the people spreading the infection ( those who have to mix ie working age adults and older children) so anything that can help us reduce the risks as life opens up more, are helpful. It’s probably the younger working age people going out to work who should be using the LFT not the older members of gransnet!. I am aware of the limitations of LFTs but used properly alongside all the other things (which are mostly more useful) they might help a little. Actually I think ( as someone very clinically vulnerable) in a close patient facing role I probably would feel safer if my patients volunteered to check with LFT before I see them- but that won’t happen. LFT have quite good specificity ( false positive less than one in a 1000) and if done properly have medium sensitivity ( pick up up to 76% of positives) so could be useful in picking up the most infectious people before they go into work or school or travel on public transport. We can’t stay in lock down forever! However I do think vaccines are much more useful in helping us all emerge and live with Covid infection.

maddyone Tue 06-Apr-21 16:13:30

My son in law had Covid (luckily although not well, he was not too ill) and he took two LFT tests. Both said negative, but as he is a doctor who works in the Covid Hub, and he had symptoms, and he did the test correctly, he knew the result was wrong. The third test said positive. This suggests to me that these tests are as good as useless and whilst I won’t be using them, I have no faith that they would protect me or anyone else from mixing with a Covid positive person.
I’ve had Covid and I’ve had the vaccine. The tests wouldn’t help me, they could in fact be a hindrance (false positive.) The antibodies from the illness and the vaccine are what will protect me.

Shinamae Tue 06-Apr-21 16:21:15

As stated previously I have had Covid twice, both times no symptoms. Today I have had my second vaccine of Astrazeneca so hopefully having had Covid and the vaccine I should be pretty bullet-proof but still have to be cautious....

Shinamae Tue 06-Apr-21 16:21:49

Also as stated previously I have absolutely no faith in these lateral flow tests...

EllanVannin Tue 06-Apr-21 16:26:03

I'm getting a bit sick and tired with all this business now.

EllanVannin Tue 06-Apr-21 16:29:33

( the site is a bit sensitive at the moment--502 Error )

Shinamae Tue 06-Apr-21 17:28:30

EllanVannin

I'm getting a bit sick and tired with all this business now.

Well don’t read it then!

Conan Sat 24-Apr-21 19:21:48

Has anyone heard if we have to take this test before appointments like gp doctors, nurse, dental or others.

Itsawelshthing Wed 05-May-21 22:34:01

I also do LFT twice a week at home. I don't see them being accurate in all honesty.

3nanny6 Thu 06-May-21 17:58:35

I have recently started to do the LFT. I am just doing them to check if anything shows on the results and as yet it says negative.
My Daughter had her two young girls brought home from school on Tuesday as two other children in school have family members with Covid. The school gave her two Covid LFT
and told her to do them on the children. I didn't even know they done LFTs on 8 year olds.

silversurf Thu 27-May-21 09:28:53

I can’t do the test as I have essential tremor due to my medication. I am currently living alone and have no one to help me.