Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

The Lockdown Gang - Just chatting ⭐️

(1001 Posts)
Doodle Tue 06-Apr-21 19:35:56

Hi all. Just carry on as we were before. Anyone who wants a chat welcome ?

Doodle Mon 12-Apr-21 20:54:11

Grammaretto I hope the day has gone well with your DD and you’ve shared some happy memories despite your sadness.
I’m all alone with Jeeves today so I’ve had him giving the kitchen a good clean.
I think kaimoana will be back when her computer is working better.
Cherry I’m getting a bit worried about you. You’ve not been gone so long before I do hope you are ok.
Panache hope you and MrP have had a good day today.
I will leave some hot chocolate brewing in case anyone drops in. Take care all

Jan16 Mon 12-Apr-21 20:55:39

I’m here!!! Maybe they were all queuing up outside Primark at 6am or getting their hair done or maybe still in a pub garden!!

Doodle Mon 12-Apr-21 21:08:12

Cooee Jan so pleased to see you. I was getting a little bit lonely.
I booked my first hair appointment today. I wanted it after my second jab on 22nd April but my hairdresser is already booked solid till the middle of May. Will I still be able to peer out form behind my curtain of hair till then I wonder. ?
Have you done anything new today on our first day of slight release?

Mamissimo Mon 12-Apr-21 21:18:31

Only me ?

By mistake I got up and got moving this morning instead of reading Gransnet because I had stuff to buy on eBay that I didn't want to miss. I've been after a Horn sewing machine cabinet with an electric lift and lots of flap out bits but I am reluctant to pay £1200 for a bit of chipboard! I got a smashing one today for £113 so I'm made up!

We are planning to go to IKEA when the COVIDiots have swarmed through this week to buy.....a mini ironing board, some Billy bits, some Kallax, a chair.....and obviously some tea lights ? I am determined to have the workroom of my dreams for my patchwork.

Everything is growing so fast now. I am having to earth up the potatoes every three days. Today I pricked out some cabbages to be ready for when the bored beans are over, and the first batch of lettuce. The goosegogs have tiny fruit on and the carrots and beetroot have germinated. We won't talk about the curly parsley......

I've also been proof reading DS's dissertation for his master's. Thousands of words on strategies for sustainably reducing waste in a linear food retailing culture......I will sleep well tonight if I give it another skim ?

Before we go to bed tonight we need to worm Fergal....anyone want to come and help?

Thinking of the missing and hoping you're alright!

Jan16 Mon 12-Apr-21 21:47:03

*Mamissimo• Yes I’ll come and help you worm Fergal if you’ll help me do Theo’s flea treatment! It’s a few little drops of liquid on his neck and you would think he was being murdered. He knows when you’ve got it and most of it ends up on anywhere except his neck!
Don’t envy you proof reading your DS dissertation can remember doing my daughters.
So quiet on here.

Doodle Mon 12-Apr-21 22:13:46

Mamissimo what a fantastic bargain. No wonder you are pleased. I would love my own workroom. DH and I have to share the spare bedroom but until he’s tidied up his bit I can’t fit in.
Wow your garden sounds as though spring is really coming.
Would those be chubby cabbages and lazy lettuce you are growing? Oh that curly parsley I bet that’s quite a character. ?
Well done you for being able to proof read your DS’s work. Even the title is enough to frighten me.
I would of course love to come and help worm Fergal but I’ve just remembered I need to do some urgent.....ironing.
Ah sounds as though you have a willing helper in Jan. Fleas and worms I think I will leave you to it.
It is quiet tonight. Thanks for popping in to keep me company I was worried I’d have to spend the evening with Jeeves ?

Doodle Mon 12-Apr-21 22:17:04

Well I’ve just popped into IKEA to see if I could find out what Mamissimo meant by Billy bits and Kallax. I typed in the search section and it came up telling me they don’t sell.......Kalashnikov’s ???. I beat a hasty retreat

Missedout Mon 12-Apr-21 22:50:03

Doodle, whatever next? Be careful what you search for, you may end up with a load of commandos smashing down your front door!

It's a bit quiet at the Redoubt today and has been all weekend, although DH and I had a surprise FaceTime call from our northern branch today. We saw and (mainly) heard our DGC in glorious close-up. They are growing so fast and we miss them. My DIL looks tired, but they now have curtains, blinds and a few pictures on the wall since their recent house move. We ended up reading a book with our DGD. It's a bit extravagant but we buy two copies of books at a time, one for us here and one for them. It makes story telling at a distance easier.

I've been following Grammaretto's home improvements with interest. We had our kitchen gutted a few years ago, choosing a local company to do the structural changes then fit it out. The cupboard fronts are interesting, pastel coloured wood grain effect which we still enjoy. However, we really struggled to get a suitable shade of paint for the walls to complement the colours. We must have tried at least 10 to 15 of the little test paint pots then went back for more until, eureka, we found the Goldilocks shade! The painter duly turned up with ladders and overalls, took one look at what we had chosen and told us that he wouldn't use that make of paint - we would have to find another. I told him that we would prefer a different painter. In the end, grudgingly, he used our choice and admitted that it wasn't that bad to work with.

I'm pretty fed up at the moment. I've been trying to arrange a second vaccine for DH but to no avail. I'm also suffering from yet another uti and am back on robotics. It took nearly 6 weeks to throw it off the last time. My daily treks walks with DH have been curtailed again, although I managed an online Pilates class earlier. I know it is not really serious but I really don't cope well with infections.

I bought another pair of jeans online today. This time (for the first time ever) I bought Short/Petite. They fit! I must be shrinking.

Good luck with your pet treatments. DS1 still has scars from his cats, now long gone.

I also hope our missing gangsters are all OK.

Mamissimo Tue 13-Apr-21 09:25:02

Well that didn't go well! Fergal wriggled, hissed.....and escaped. I dropped the worming tablet which fell on the floor and disappeared under the washing machine....so I'm off to the vets this morning for another one ?

Mr M is coming with me to collect the sewing cabinet this morning so a nice drive to Guildford in the sunshine ?

This is going to be a nice week - we've booked a visit to Wakehurst to take DGD for a walk and I've got my second jab on Thursday.....think I'll book a lunch at a great pub for three weeks time - yippee!

Hope there's sunshine somewhere in your lives today.

Jan16 Tue 13-Apr-21 13:41:12

Morning.Mamissimo Plenty of glorious sunshine in West Norfolk today. Cold wind has dropped at last and sun is really warm. Had hair cut this morning and then went on to our local tea room which has a lovely garden. Had coffee and scone and it was so great to sit and chat to other people on the socially distanced tables! Think I’m turning into one of those embarrassing old women who will chat to anyone!!! Came home via Sandringham where Prince Philip spent so much of his later life. There were so many flowers at the gates it brought a lump to my throat even though I do feel so sad that the flowers will soon wilt and die.
Haven even tried Theo’s flea treatment yet but know I must soon. Never had problems with dog worming pills as just stuck the pill into a lump of cheese or ham and down it went!
Missedout.Sorry you’ve been poorly. Hope your uti clears up soon

NfkDumpling Tue 13-Apr-21 14:00:28

Mamissimo, have you tried the trouser leg method of pill enforcement? I learnt it from our young vet and used to used it for pill administration on our black panther Frederick. Choose trousers with leg width smaller than cat. Pour cat head first down one trouser leg. Head comes out of the bottom and the rest of the cat is immobilised. Tuck cat under right arm on his back, head facing forwards and prise jaws apart with right hand. Stick pill well down throat with left hand. Shake cat backwards out of the trousers once you're such the pill isn't coming back.

Weve just had celebratory post-vaccine refreshments in the sun in our garden with friends. It was lovely - except when the sun went behind a cloud when it was freezing!

I hope you feel better soon Missedout and that Cherry is ok.

Jan16 Tue 13-Apr-21 15:35:30

Nfk. Think Mamissimo is talking about her dog. It’s me with the cat and it’s the drop on flea stuff! Swear he can smell it 100 yards away! Just managed to do it but how much went through to his skin I really don’t know!

Doodle Tue 13-Apr-21 20:12:13

Missedout what a lovely idea to be able to read a book to your DGC via Face Time. That’s so special. I hope they are settling in well in their new home.
What is the world coming to when your painter refuses to use the paint you have chosen.
We once employed a tiler to tile our bathroom. We showed him the design we wanted which was not complicated just one stripe horizontally round the walls. He went off to get some “spares” and never returned. ?. We got someone else who did a really good job.
Oh I’m sorry about the UTI. I’ve had them before and it’s most unpleasant. Hope your robotics work soon. Do you know why you get so many uti’s, is it anything to do with your medication.
Sorry you haven’t yet got your DHs second jab appointment. We booked ours when we had the first one. Have you tried going online?
I have been doing an online exercise for senior citizens. I have discovered I am totally uncoordinated. When she moves right I go left and by the time she’s finished the exercise I haven’t even mastered the steps. ?
I have definitely shrunk. Unfortunately, I am sort of in between sizes. Too tall for petite and too short for standard. Means everything has to be altered. Hope you manage a appointment for your DH soon.
Fergal 1, Mamissimo 0. ?
Oh dear he does not want that tablet.
I bet your excited about your cabinet. Hope you are pleased with it.
Our 2nd jabs are on 22nd. I have booked a hair appointment for early May. Bet you’re excited at the thought of going out with your DGD and a pub lunch to look forward to as well. Be nice to have things getting back to normal a bit.
Jan hair cut and a visit to the tea room. I am so jealous.
There is nothing wrong with chatting to everyone. It’s a good idea. You never know who is feeling a bit lonely or down and sometimes just a friendly word from a stranger can help. I always try to chat to people on their own as I know how much it meant to my dear SIL after my brother died. She never failed to tell me who she had met and talked to.
Hmmm Nfk I read on with interest. The trouser leg method, now what is that. Wow that a good method. Your description made me laugh. I can just see Mamissimo going into a shop with Fergal and asking the shop assistant for a pair of trousers that will fit her cat. ?
Yes we found it was warm in the sun and cold as soon as it disappeared.
Jan, Nfk is right, Fergal is Mamissimo’s cat . Her dog is the infamous dustbin dog, Honey beagle, ?

I hope Panache is ok and getting help. Thinking of you if you are reading.
Grammaretto hope you had a pleasant day with your DD yesterday. Are you back home to a clean kitchen?

I am getting more than worried about Cherry. It’s been a while since we have heard from her. I sincerely hope she’s ok.
Take care all

Grammaretto Tue 13-Apr-21 20:46:58

Hello Gang,
I'm home and catching up with your doings.
It was a proper tonic seeing the highland family and Springtime there is stunning.
I returned to a strangely tidy kichen and 5 full bin bags at the bins. I wonder what's been chucked out
The volunteer left a note, she had retired to bed with a headache, but left a delicious meal for me. Unfortunately she will leave me tomorrow.
I think I'll also head to bed. Little people and long drives are exhausting. smile

Jan16 Tue 13-Apr-21 21:02:16

Ooops. Sorry •Nfk• typical me not reading things properly!

Doodle Tue 13-Apr-21 23:12:44

Jan if you look at the previous page of posts you will see a lovely portrait of Honey beagle who is well known for eating everything she can find including mice that Fergal has caught ?
Grammaretto glad you’re home to a nice tidy kitchen. Hmm I wonder what’s in those bags too. Shame your young lady is leaving. Hope you find a suitable replacement soon.
Good to hear you had a nice day with the family.

Hot chocolate all round Jeeves please.

Kaimoana Wed 14-Apr-21 00:54:58

I'm semi-set up but some of the absolute essentials proved impossible to transfer from the old system to the new.
Frustration all round from esteemed IT Manager who prides himself on a good job and felt he was letting his Mama down. Not so, I'm grateful for anything.

I've listened to all your comments on this page but haven't a hope of respondng properly.
My new screen reader tells me Grammaretto spent the day with a Doctor of Divinity (DD smile)
And of course, you all sound American as that's the default voice.

I too am worried for Cherry I hope she's all right but I know if she was, she'd post.
As Doodle said a while ago, it's marvellous how we become fond of people we've never met - the human spirit is unconfined. I wouldn't want to lose any one of you; you really are a fantastic circle of friends and all so different. flowers

Hanna has gone; hoist with her own petard. The agency is sending a lady called Grace. I do hope she's pleasant.

I feel so sorry for my dear son. All the time he was here (on his day off) he was getting texts and phone calls every few minutes from the guys he managesat work and his partner, both of whom don't seem to be aable to manage much without his input. My dil is a lovely girl but very anxious and DS is her anchor. Gubbins is always restless when Papa isn't there so she was playing up. She's till not sleeping so dil was worn out and extra-factious. Then, to cap it all, if you'll forgive the crual pun, the crown on my son's tooth fell out as he was having lunch.
Fortunately, he hss a brilliant dentist who fit him in and its all fixed now....but how do you concentrate on setting up a new and complicated system with all that going on?
I feel very guilty but although I could ask my other friend who set up the printer, I know DS would say, 'Oh, Mum, why didin't you ask me?'
sad

I'm hoping to cheer up a little in an hour or so when friends from Waipareira come to take me out to lunch.
They went to the special breakfast yesterday and reported back how great it was and what wonderfulness I'd missed - hmm gee, thanks guys, as if I didn't feel bad enough. No matter, tomorrow is our admin meeting and I'll see all the kaumatua then.

I'll write again later. Love to all.

NfkDumpling Wed 14-Apr-21 07:19:48

Oh, Kaimoana I'd love to hear your new screen reader and hear what we all sound like talking in American. I was once told that I was speaking quite broad Norfik when I was doing my best to tawk proper. I hope that you had a lovely lunch with your friends and Grace turns out to be a nice as her name.

I'm trying to write a letter to my DGS (aged seven) to encourage him to read and maybe reply. My first attempt made me sound like a really strict, boring old person so I have to try again. I'm not good at hand writing at the best ... I can type much faster and I miss the spell checker!

Grammaretto Wed 14-Apr-21 08:21:53

Kaimoana OO no! How scary. American Lobstars.
It may be like the robot voice when texts are sent to the landline. They end in ex ex instead of kiss kiss.
Or the Sat Nav voice trying to pronounce Carlisle. (or any Scottish place names come to that)

Hanna has gone! We are all relieved. Now a new person to get to know.
My volunteer is going to leave today. A mixed blessing. It is the first time I have shared with anyone in several months and I quite like being just me. I am eternally grateful for her binge clean. She has cleaned out all the cupboards, even the tops of them which were knee deep in dust and grease
I shall write her a good reference.

I have returned with some clay models to fire and also to several bills to pay.

Doodle I am very glad you have appointments for your 2nd jab and that you have been out in the sunshine. Think of all that vitamin D.
Sorry to hear the awful UTIs have returned Missedout Life can be a B****R at times.
Cherry we miss you. Please come back. I hope everything is OK?
Panaches hugs for you.

Peasandcues Wed 14-Apr-21 11:12:54

Hello, I have been lurking for a while on this thread. May I join, please?

Doodle Wed 14-Apr-21 12:02:50

Morning all.
Welcome peasandcues (like your name ?). Of course you may join us. We are just a group who got together during the first lockdown and just chat about our day and share some of our ups and downs. We are dotted around the place, Wales, Norfolk, New Zealand, Scotland, England. We just come together to chat and support each other. We know each other quite well by now but Jan has joined us recently. Others pop in and out when they like so please feel free to post whenever.
What are you up to today?
Kaimoana it’s frustrating when your IT stuff doesn’t let you do what you want. I’m sure your son has done his best for you.
It seems he is much in demand, yet I’m sure he would want to help you. From what I gather in your posts, you don’t ask for help much and manage so well on your own, I’m sure he was pleased to help you. Thank goodness he got his crown fixed so promptly
I can see your new system will provide you with some humour.
Like DD becoming Doctor of Divinity ?
Ooh I’ve never had an American accent before. Do I have to start writing Yee Hah and say ride em cowboy ?.
Well I am pleased Hanna has gone. She obviously didn’t want to do the work. Let’s hope Grace is of benefit to you and does the chores you need her to.
Glad you’ve an outing to look forward to today and tomorrow. Enjoy yourself.
Nfk I’m sure I have an accent too. Cross between Bucks and cockney. I don’t think either of my sons have accents but others have said they can hear the Bucks accent in them.
What a lovely idea to write to your DGS. I used to make up little games for my DGC. I would write a list of clues of things they should do (like stand on one leg and count to five) and at the end they got a treat. Bit difficult if they’re not actually with you at the time though. ?
Grammaretto I think we all would like to hear how we come over as Americans ?
We have a voice in our lift which amuses our Sainsbugs deliver driver no end. The young lady says “The lift is gawing up or The lift is gawing darn.
Glad your volunteer helped you with a clean up. Will you get some others to help in the garden later do you think?
Did the clay models come from your visit to your DD?
Hope you have a relaxing day today.
I think we are all getting worried about Cherry. Although she has been missing for the odd day or too before it has never been this long. I do so hope she is ok. We miss you Cherry
Panache hope all is ok. Do you know when MrP’s blood transfusion will be? Take care. Much love x

Jan16 Wed 14-Apr-21 12:43:01

peasandcues. What an amazing name. Wish I’d thought of something different instead of boring Jan! Maybe I’ll change it!
I’m horrified when I hear my Norfolk accent! Never thought I’d got one until I heard myself a few years ago. It’s a really ugly a accent. My favourite is the Northumbrian one! Love it.
Been to see my lovely GP this morning. Always listens and is never in a rush.
Friend coming round this afternoon. We will sit in the summerhouse with the door open and gossip and put the world to rights!
Yes think we are all worried about Cherry. Obviously I don’t know her very well but she is always so cheerful despite her problems.
Eldest daughter and son in law here tomorrow from Nottingham. Childishly excited as haven’t seen them since Christmas!
“peasandcues”. Hope to see you posting. Lovely people on here!

Peasandcues Wed 14-Apr-21 12:56:29

A lovely welcome, thank you @Jan16 and @Doodle. I have loved reading your thread and feel as though I know so much about you all. I'm not up to much today, other than browsing the Internet. I may do some gardening this afternoon then I'll have a Zoom chat with my GC on how our tomato growing competition is coming along.

Jan you don't sound boring at all.

Doodle Wed 14-Apr-21 14:33:06

peassandcues if you are into gardening and growing things you will be in good company on this thread. DH and I live in a flat so don’t have our own garden just the pleasure of a communal one but in all honesty we were never much into gardening. Funny really as both our fathers were very keen gardeners.
How many DGC do you have? We have three but they are all well into their teens now.
Jan you boring, never. (I like your username it’s the easiest to spell) .
Talking of spelling, I’ve just completed an online spelling test in the newspaper. Dreadful, I scored 15 out of 30. Dyslexia doesn’t help but I used to be so much better. During my 50s I started to lose confidence in my spelling abilities and it all went downhill from there. DH and Alexa do my spelling for me now.
Good to have a GP you get on with. Envious of your summerhouse. Be quite useful to have one during this lockdown period. Hope you have a nice time with your friend.
Great excitement tomorrow then. Lovely to have a family visit.
Yes, you are right, our Cherry has such health problems but remains so remarkably cheerful we sometimes forget. I hope she’s back with us soon.
We’re off for a walk now. If it’s not too cold I might persuade DH to buy me a choc ice from the park shop.
Back to check up on you all later.
By the way peassandcues if you want some hot chocolate tonight our resident, virtual butler Jeeves is on hand to cater to your every need. ?

Grammaretto Wed 14-Apr-21 17:04:11

Hello peasandcues. I agree about the name. It's a good one.
There is a strong Norfolk contingent here and also Wales. Even I am 2% Welsh according to my DNA.

I like the Nfk accent. It's very sing-songy. I hitchhiked a few times when I was a student at Norwich and I remember listening to the driver with a broad rural accent. I didn't understand most of it but it sounded nice.

I also have a lovely GP Jan but I don't want to bother her. I still haven't got rid of my sore throat although it's worse when I'm tired. When I spoke to her a few weeks ago she said to gargle with salty water and take paracetamol and my immune system would kick in and throw it off. Hmm.
Perhaps Jeeves will have a remedy I can try.

Beautiful weather here too. I have just watered the pots outside.

Has anyone PM'd Cherry?

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion