Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

The Lockdown Gang - Just chatting ⭐️

(1001 Posts)
Doodle Tue 06-Apr-21 19:35:56

Hi all. Just carry on as we were before. Anyone who wants a chat welcome ?

dragonfly46 Thu 12-Aug-21 17:28:57

Gosh Grammaretto it sounds as if you live in a castle!

Doodle Thu 12-Aug-21 21:10:01

Evening all. Back from our trip to Mottisfont and relaxing at home again. It was a nice place to visit. Not as exciting as some but it made a day out. There weren’t many paintings Grammaretto but I took a picture of one of them for you and it’s description. Hope you can read it,
Sounds as though you had a good day out and a nice meet up with friends. ?
Mamissimo so your little boy is at home with his mum, should improve very soon now. DH tells me our sight is important and we must have new glasses if needed, so that’s Mr M told ?
You seem to have had a busy paperwork day.
I too am expecting a delivery tomorrow. I am very excited. I know what it is. …..
dragonfly I am so sorry to hear your news. What a frightening time you have had. You must all have been so worried. I do hope your DIL improves soon and regains movement in her eye.
Nortsat hope you are feeling better too.
Panache wondering how you are coping. Hope your friends are helping you through this time.
cherry and Missedout we miss you too.
Kaimoana I know you’re around somewhere. What are you up to? ?

Missedout Thu 12-Aug-21 21:40:41

Hi gangstars, I have been keeping up with your posts. Fingers crossed that Norstat is recovering, for Mamissimo's brave DD and thoughts for Panache.

The invasion is over, our Northern branch have gone home. I am so tired, I can't think straight. The house has suddenly become tired and quiet too.

Although we have all had a fantastic time there have been some really low points too, caused by family fallouts, yet to be resolved.

It was lovely to get to know the little ones again. We are lucky enough to have a reasonable sized garden and DGD learnt to ride a bike (with stabilisers) round it with her little brother getting in the way at high speed on his balance bike (which he learned to balance on while here too).

We didn't go out much, just for local walks, the weather wasn't as kind as it could have been but it didn't really matter. My online food orders and planning worked out well. We didn't have to shop at all but I seem to have spent a lot of time providing meals and looking for missing toy parts.

DH and I were so sad to see them go. We may try and stay with them soon. They all isolated and had negative lateral flow test results before they came here but the GC will be back at school again so I will have to see how the covid figures play out before deciding. I really don't feel very safe if my other DIL can be ill with Covid, despite being double vaccinated.
Am I cowering - I think so.

Things will look better tomorrow. I'm going to have an early night. Please could Jeeves put a little 'something extra' in tonight's chocolate.

Kaimoana Thu 12-Aug-21 23:09:25

What a horribly worrying time for you and all the family dragonfly - viruses are so many and varied - was it always so? And it seems there are few anti-viral remedies available too. sad
I wish you all a complete recovery.

Grammaretto When one draws up a Deed, are there copies not lodged with some Authority? Solicitor, Land Registry, Council etc.

I ask because we got copies of the Deeds to "our farm" where my mother grew up, by talking to a solicitor who then applied somewhere else for a copy.
It may be different in Scotland of course.

I had to laugh about the carpet samples.
Many years ago, my mother had what she thought was a brilliant idea and went to several carpet stores for - free at that time - samples. Came home and stuck them all onto a hessian backing.
The idea was to replace the colourful but outworn rag rug she and Dad had made from strips of old coats and blankets during the war.

This new patchwork rug looked lovely in all shades of dark blue and green and importantly for any true Yorkshire mother, it was cheap wink

But after a while it tripped everyone up because it refused to lie flat any longer smile

I have heard that such old crafts as rag-rugging have come back into fashion. Anyone tried it?

Gubbins is now scooting about the place and has Mummy on the hop. Walking next. smile

My dgs is coming for yet another weekend with me. Yipee! I am SUCH a lucky grandma.

Doodle Thu 12-Aug-21 23:48:53

Hi Missedout I know that low feeling after family go home too. Everything seems so quiet. It’s really strange and very sad but it will pass and you can look forward to planning another visit.

I’m glad you had a good time and sounds as though the DGC really enjoyed their stay.
Hope the fallouts are resolved soon.
You need a good rest with your feet up I think. Jeeves will sort you out, no problem ?
kaimoana my aunt and uncle used to make rag rugs and the other type where you pull wool through the holes in a backing fabric. Can’t think what it’s called now.
Hope you have a lovely time with your DGS. Will you be baking again?

Kaimoana Fri 13-Aug-21 06:24:21

I was told today by a gentleman of long acquaintance, that I look like an Asian Princess - how swish is that?
'Asian' here doesn't mean the Indian subcontinent but Thailand, Korea, China etc.
I had my hair up and apparently looked regal and gracious grin

Not so gracious was my mistake naming my new homecare lady. Not Mape but Mepa (sounds like 'paper' but with an M).
She's going to be permanent and as we got on well from the beginning, I'm happy with that.

Poor Missedout I know that feeling of sheer exhaustion after beloved family have been and gone.
As Doodle said, feet up and resting -and quite right to be cautious too. We know so little about this wretched virus which seems to be mutating all the time.

Yes Doodle I shall be baking. My meal plan for Saturday, other than what my dgs eats, is Boeuf Bourguignon which my son will take home for the evening meal with mashed potato.

On Sunday, they will all come here for stuffed cabbage parcels (pork, water chestnuts, onion, carrots garlic, sage, thyme) with a mixed vegetable stir fry and buttered rice.

They will take home Chicken, Leek & Camembert mini hot pots for tea/supper, accompanied by a brown rice, green bean, feta, beetroot and slivered almond side dish, with the merest drizzle of aioli.

They'll provide their own salad. I wanted baby cos but there was none to be had hmm

I've planned a gluten free/sugar free banana pudding and an apple cake, to be eaten as and when they feel like it and have a spare corners in their tummies.
Tangy f
Fresh fruits salad is always available for anytime.

There's nothing I like better than cooking for people so now, having written two GN posts in one day, I'm going to grab the wilted cabbage leaves and start stuffing grin

Grammaretto Fri 13-Aug-21 08:59:04

Hello Lobstars,

I too know that down feeling when everyone goes home and they are too far away to just pop round.
I hope Panache is coping and has her good friends nearby.

I phoned an old friend who's going to come and share a fish supper and a bottle of wine with me tonight.

It is odd about the missing deeds. I remember seeing them about 30 years ago when the paper mill was being demolished below us and a bulldozer was bashing down our boundary wall - an ancient stone wall. I had to stop them and found the plans and deeds here in the house. to prove it was our wall. They are in old writing on old paper (parchment?) and talk of things like Teinds an old Scots word meaning tithes.

It is also an old lowland term for a tribute due to be paid by the fairies to the devil every seven years. ...

We had to pay a guinea a year to the Church of Scotland for the water rights. Should I ask the fairies or the devil?.

I have tried to find a copy through the solicitors, the bank, the land registry, and the Sasines, all to no avail,
All I can think is that DH hid them in a "safe place" but it isn't anywhere I have searched yet. I am like a woman obsessed!

I have at last finished the sweater I was knitting. Maybe I should make a rug or knit a stair carpet.
FiL once made a carpet using those sample patches Kaimoana He really did. We used to tease him about it.

I have put a couple on the stairs to let you see my selection. Rather conservative you will agree.

I have lost my commission! sad The person has changed her mind and thinks she doesn't want a handmade teapot after all. It was for a friend who it turns out is poorly and down sizing. Pity because I have just made her one specially. However, it will go into stock for the upcoming open studios.

Gubbins on the move WOW!! that's so wonderful.
Back to my searches...

Mamissimo Fri 13-Aug-21 09:46:08

Good morning ?

Can we see the wall colour please Grammaretto and any art pieces you'd like to display to their best advantage? I'm currently drawn to the top one as its pale but warm....the grey will show every speck in high relief....top one goes well with the warm tones of the wood....I love putting rooms together ?

So Gubbins has become a rug rat Kaimoana ! Our smallest turns 2 on Sunday and is getting vast quantities of pink plastic tat her first bicycle. I think DD1 gives them things before they are ready and then they don't get the most from them - they seem to be bored by them because they are familiar, before they can really get to grips with them. But I must never say so!

DD2 is now embarking on cycle 2 and says she is better prepared this time and her expectations are more measured. I feel the anxiety knots beginning again. We won't know if this cycle is confirmed viable until late September....which seems a long way away.

It was a lovely time with DS this week as I was allowed to fuss a bit and cook nice things.....he seemed ok to me and not as tired as I had imagined. He had a short nap each afternoon and seemed to be able to concentrate on films etc without falling asleep. He raided the kitchen after we'd gone to bed so I know he's recovering!

Mr M and I are off to London to see Tubular Bells performed at Southbank tonight. Dinner and a concert.....feels decadent! I've booked first class on the train so that we will get a compartment to ourselves - we discovered before COVID that if you book far enough ahead the price is no different to an away day.

Wishing you well!

Doodle Fri 13-Aug-21 12:32:20

Oooh kaimoana that’s so mean I want to come and join you. The food sounds delicious.
Should we curtsy in your presence oh gracious lady princess ?
Good news that you like Mepa and she seems to suit you. Hope it works out well.
Recipe please for chicken leek and Camembert hot pots. ?
Have a lovely weekend baking session with your grandson.
Grammaretto hope you have a nice evening with your friend. I do hope you find your deeds. Apart from needing them they sound very interesting historically.
So the knitting is finished that’s good. A knitted stair carpet, now that would be unusual.
I prefer the darker carpet of your two samples. It seems to have a slight pink warm tone to it. Carpets are such difficulties things to choose. We have our whole flat in the same carpet, it is an oatmeal basic colour with black, brown, orange and yellow flecks. I tried to find something that covered all sorts being dropped on it. It works well except we keep trying to pick bits off the floor that are actually carpet ?
Oh that’s really bad about your commission. To ask for something to be made specially and then cancel after you’ve made it is not good at all, I hope you find a buyer.
Mamissimo ? funny how we all see things differently. I thought the bottom carpet was warmer. By the top one, do you mean the pale green one or the cream one. I like the cream one but I assume that is the original carpet as it is attached to the stairs. You are right, they grey one will show up anything light on it.
We too had a pink DGD. She went to her first day at little school (pre school) in pink socks, shoes, tights, dress and jacket with a pink bag and pink bows in her hair. We bought her a little toy pink car too.
Needless to say, your DD2 will be in our thoughts as she embarks on this second cycle. It will be an anxious time for you all I’m sure. Yes September does seem a long time.
Perhaps your DS just wanted to come home for a bit of pampering. Nice for you to be able to coddle him a bit and I’m pleased to hear he sounds as though he is on the mend now.
What an exciting evening. I love Tubular Bells. Reminds me of my youth. Dinner and concert and your own compartment on the train. Sounds good hope you have a lovely evening.

Doodle Fri 13-Aug-21 12:35:00

Our oatmeal carpet. It looks a bit grey in the photo but I think that’s because it’s so dull here today. It’s actually a cream colour base with bits.

Grammaretto Fri 13-Aug-21 15:34:50

I don't think I am seeing all the colours Doodle but I can imagine what it's like.
My existing stair carpet is pale green and shows all the dirt which is why I thought I'd go darker.
The walls are white and the steps are stone, painted brown.
I just have clutter - no art at present.

Doodle Sat 14-Aug-21 21:24:42

Evening all. Went to see my DGS and family today. He’s grown so much since lockdown started I feel like a little old lady when he gives me a bear hug.
Went for a walk today but I think we overdid it. It was warmer than we thought and we were both exhausted by the time we got back. Nice to watch all the boats on the river, seeing the paddle boarders, canoes and the rowing teams. It’s a busy place sometimes.
Grammaretto I have always found if you buy a dark carpet it shows all the fluff and white bits and if you buy a light one it shows all the dark bits and dirt. Have you made a decision yet?
How has everyone been today? Hope all the gang have a good weekend. ?

Grammaretto Sun 15-Aug-21 07:39:33

I also went on a rather too long walk. DGD told me we had walked 9km! The riverside here is very quiet and wooded. We heard and saw a buzzard and lots of wild raspberries and the "elephant hole" where my DC used to swim.
Before that it was a bit fraught with trying to make sure two families met up. 9 of us for lunch plus 2 dogs, one of which is not housetrained and did 2 puddles and one poo on my sitting room floor!! profuse apologies followed but really? shock
It was nice seeing the cousins together. The two younger girls are both sporty. One plays hockey the other football. The kids wanted to make pots so I helped them and plan to deliver them in person eventually. pots not children

Thanks for the fine advice about the carpet choice smile Doodle

I still haven't found my lost deeds but my specs turned up. grin
I hope the gang are all OK?

Doodle Sun 15-Aug-21 12:09:18

grammaretto sounds like you had a house full of people and animals.
That’s a long walk. Your riverside sounds nice and peaceful. Ours is busy during the summer with boats. We always have rowers throughout the year. I feel sorry for them in the winter out in the rain but admire their conviction. There isn’t much in the way of woodland our side of the river but the other side we have Cliveden the NT place and lovely grounds and woodland there.
We went to see DS2 yesterday. They too have a puppy who is in the process of being house trained. He has been much better since being allowed out on walks now.
I always like having my family together too.
Nice for your DGC to still enjoy making pots with you. Must be fun for them being there with you and having a big garden to play in and a studio for pottery. Did your own children show interest in pottery too?
Hope you relax and recover from the excitement today. We are having an ‘at home day’ to try and catch up with things…….or to just sit and read the papers and have a lazy day ?

Nortsat Sun 15-Aug-21 16:47:39

Good afternoon gangstars from Missy and me.
I am feeling a lot better, thank you for your kind thoughts, which are always very cheering.
I had a lovely, thoughtful couple of emails from Panache. So kind of her to think of others, when she has so much to deal with.
Any sign of the deeds Grammaretto? It’s a blessing your glasses turned up ... which may aid the search for the deeds. Your DGC must adore potting with you, how exciting for them.
Mammissimo, I hope Tubular Bells is lovely. It’s years since I heard it. It is in our album collection in the attic! I might listen on Spotify.
Your DS sounds as though he is recovering - raiding mother’s kitchen late at night is a sure sign.
Princess Kiamoana all your planned meals sound delicious and I agree that having family members to cook for, is the greatest incentive. Should you need taste testers, my partner and I are ready to make ourselves available for two portions of Boeuf Bourguignon and mashed potatoes.
I second Doodle and should like to hear more about the chicken, leek and Camembert hotpots.
It’s lovely to read of Gubbins progress.
Missedout, how lovely to spend time with the little ones. I too, know that hollow feeling when family depart.
Dragonfly I hope your DiL is feeling better. What an anxious time for the family.
Interesting cabbage art Norfolk. I especially liked the purple one. I once sent my sister some flowers, when she was in hospital and the arrangement included miniature cabbages. I was most concerned but she sent me a photograph and the arrangement was lovely.

An easy evening for me this evening, watching a film, which we began watching yesterday but I couldn’t stay awake until the end! As you can see Missy has had a busy day and my activity level has been about equal to hers.
Have a pleasant evening Gangstars all good wishes from the Mog-star and me, N x ?

Doodle Sun 15-Aug-21 21:08:31

Hello Nortsat. How lovely to hear you are feeling better. That’s such good news.
I have seen those miniature cabbages in flower arrangements before. I think they look really nice.
DH and I often watch films over 2 days. Either a short attention span or as you say, nod off before the ending. ?
I’m looking forward to hearing how mamissimo got on too. A meal and concert. Not something I’ve done for a very long time. The last time I think we did that was went we went to London to see We will Rock you. The Queen musical. That was many years ago now. We nearly got a ride back to the train station in a rickshaw…..until we learnt how much it cost ?
How is your man? Not heard for a while. Have things improved with work since lockdown has eased a little?
I see the Molls are as laid back as ever.
Kaimoana hope you had a good weekend with your grandson.
Hope the rest of the gang are ok. Panache I wonder how you are coping.x Cherry we still miss you
Take care all

Grammaretto Sun 15-Aug-21 21:19:43

Hi Nortsat glad to see you and to know you are feeling a bit better and are resting along with Missy.

DS arrived with wine and chocs this evening. I think he is feeling guilty about the incontinent dog but he says it's for my birthday tomorrow.
I shall try to find a nice show to go to. There is a festival in Edinburgh. It's smaller than usual but there is sure to be something to see.

How did your treat go Mamissimo?

Kaimoana Sun 15-Aug-21 21:20:42

I am off for emergency dental work any moment but the basic recipe for chicken, leek and camembert individual pots or indeed one pie, are as follows:

Saute the chopped leeks in a little butter, add the chicken chunks - or you can fry separately until browned.
Add garlic, herbs and seasoning (taragon, sage or even spices to your liking)

I decided to add mushrooms as these are my Dil favourite. Toss a little flour into the mix and make a roux. Add half and half of stock and milk to make thickish sauce. Set aside.

Make, or in my case, cheat by buying flaky pastry. Put the chick mix into an ovenproof dish, slice the Camembert (or Brie) and place it across the top. Cover with the pastry, tucking the edges an any corners down into the pot. Bake in a hot oven for the first 10 mins so the pastry puffs up, then turn the heat down a bit and bake another 15-20 mins.

As it's winter, I did a red rice salad, the warm rice tossed in a smidgen of aioli before adding feta chunks, diced capsicum and finely sliced and chopped spring onion. That was a great favourite I'm glad to say as I've never used red rice before, only brown.

We had fruit: golden kiwifruits, oranges and sliced banana as dessert. I also made a gluten free, sugar free banana pud for them to take home.

Gubbins had kumara and apple (cooked sans salt).

Doodle Sun 15-Aug-21 22:03:54

grammaretto I didn’t know is is your birthday tomorrow. Many happy returns for then in case I’m too late up to wish you happy birthday in the morning blush.
I hope you have a lovely day. Yes, please do something nice. Let us know if you manage to see something.
Kaimoana thank you for the recipe. Sounds good to me. ?
Sorry to hear about the dental treatment. Hope you get it sorted soon and aren’t in a lot of pain.
Sleep well all.

Doodle Mon 16-Aug-21 10:39:06

Grammaretto Happy Birthday ? ? ???
Hope you enjoy your day ?

NfkDumpling Mon 16-Aug-21 22:34:40

Happy Birthday Grammaretto! I hope you've had a wonderful day. I assume you've already looked up the inglenook chimney for your deeds. They should be in that metal box on that ledge just to the left.

I have been popping in a catching up but kept getting sidetracked by other posts in the Active list. We've been away for a couple of days on the boat. The weather was a bit hit and miss but not cold at night, which with no heating when the engine is off, is rather a factor. We bought some Tesco equivalent of Shreddies during lockdown. They horrible! But the ducks loved them

NfkDumpling Mon 16-Aug-21 22:38:47

I love the sound of that Chicken, leek and Camembert pie Kaimoana. I hadn't thought of adding the Camembert to chicken and leek pie. I shall try to remember it for when the cooler season arrives. I may come back to ask "What cheese was it?" In a few months time!

Doodle Mon 16-Aug-21 22:40:19

Nfk nice to have a break away. Looks lovely. Glad it wasn’t too cold for you. Hope you enjoyed yourselves. ?

Kaimoana Tue 17-Aug-21 05:43:03

I think Auckland is about to go into lockdown again. shock Delta in the community.

Impossible to get onto any supermarket website and many reports of massive panic buying at every store.

Nortsat I was going to invite you over to do a bit of tasting but now, due to lockdown.......wink

Nfk Your break on the water looks very tranquil and the ducks certainly seem to thrive on the mock-shreddies.

Have been re-reading Dr John Yudkin's Pure, White & Deadly , even more frightening now than it was in 1972.
Should be a compulsory book in every school.

If lockdown is enacted, that puts paid to my social life for this week; I was due to have two
delicious lunches with friends Wednesday & Thursday.
Sad but the sacrifice is small compared to the risk.

Be alert - the world needs Lerts. flowers

Grammaretto A belated happy birthday, hope it went well.

Kaimoana Tue 17-Aug-21 07:34:23

We're at Alert Level 4, the strictest, for 7 days.

No leaving home for me. No associating with others, even at a distance.

Not sure how I'll manage for fresh food but I do have tins and frozen.

I'm glad I'm vaccinated, although I'm still not sure how much protection that provides from Delta - which is what we're battling now.

hmm

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion