Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Getting a divorce because of Covid!

(94 Posts)
DaisyL Thu 22-Apr-21 15:12:57

I had a plumber in my house yesterday and he told me that he and his wife are getting divorced because he believes that Covid is a government conspiracy and she doesn't. They are in their 40s and had been together for twenty years - but he will not compromise. Refuses to wear a mask, will not and says he never will have the vaccine, is convinced that the government is trying to kill us! I am a bit sceptical about the dangers, but not foolhardy. Seems tragic to end a marriage because of this. I was quite shocked - he has always struck me as a very sensible young man.

DaisyL Fri 23-Apr-21 11:24:24

He's a really nice chap that I have known for years but had no idea he held all these weird views. I do have a certain amount of sympathy as a lot of the rules are completely illogical - i.e funerals! And there are things we have been told that I simply don't believe but if you go on to the internet you will find any number of theories to fit any idea you might have - including, I suspect that moon really is made of green cheese!

Bankhurst Sat 24-Apr-21 10:36:16

I believe that partners have to have the same ethos on important matters, including Covid. Possibly his stance on this revealed other underlying differences.

Theoddbird Sat 24-Apr-21 10:40:30

She sounds sensible. Who in their right mind would stay with someone so stupid....

Aepgirl Sat 24-Apr-21 10:41:35

Can’t believe you let him in DaisyL. However, I think COVID was probably the final trigger for their divorce.

I had a beauty treatment this week and my beautician refuses to have the vaccine because she doesn’t think there has been enough long-term research for it. I pointed out that there wasn’t time for ‘long-term’. Thankfully though she wears full PPE.

LJP1 Sat 24-Apr-21 10:49:05

He's just an attention seeker. He can't stop as no one would take any notice of him - he's got nothing else - poverty stricken indeed! He probably can't say sorry either. Admitting he's wrong is tantamount to denying his existance.

So sad.

icanhandthemback Sat 24-Apr-21 10:49:24

Where we have a Gran talking about their husband not following the rules/booking holidays/going to the pub (delete as appropriate) there has been an overwhelming number of post urging them to leave or not let their husband's return home. This man's lady has taken the advice without referring to us. Sadly, this man will be able to blame COVID rather than his behaviour so will not reflect upon his actions.

Savvy Sat 24-Apr-21 10:52:23

I could buy into the conspiracy theory if it was only one country involved. But do they seriously think they could get the leaders of every country in the world to come together to pull off such a grand hoax? Nah! They can't agree on anything long enough to do it.

I also won't let anyone into my home without a mask, you don't know where they've been previously to visiting your home. Vaccine or not, no mask, no entry, end of.

mimismo Sat 24-Apr-21 10:52:52

No, wouldn't have been allowed in to my house without a mask either. It's a matter of respect from both sides, I wear one too when I open the door to anyone.

Pippa22 Sat 24-Apr-21 10:54:33

Why let anyone into your house without a mask ? I thought that was the rule and I would want to be seen to be doing the right thing but also wanting to protect myself.

Jillybird Sat 24-Apr-21 10:58:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Janetashbolt Sat 24-Apr-21 10:58:49

The GP I work for refused entry to a carpet fitter who wouldn't wear a mask abd tried to justify his actions to her, so she's still walking round on bare floor boards....

Galaxy Sat 24-Apr-21 11:03:23

Well yes but there are plenty of carpet fitters. And he lost money. She's not the loser in that.

Annaram1 Sat 24-Apr-21 11:05:02

My gas man came to the door without a mask. I asked him to wear one and he had it in his pocket. He said he had forgotten to put it on. If he had not had a mask he'd have been on his way.

Nannashirlz Sat 24-Apr-21 11:05:34

Would not have got in my house without a mask or without sanitizer his hands. I had workmen in my house both were wearing masks and both had sanitizer on themselves. I felt very safe them both being in my home. As for him blaming covid for his divorce it’s a bit like when your husband says married not working and we don’t talk have sex etc. I’d say typical of someone wanting to end something it’s always someone else or something else to blame instead of admitting their being cheating or can’t just don’t wanna be with you anymore

Natasha76 Sat 24-Apr-21 11:05:47

I do think before we condemn him outright we could be a little kinder about this.
Firstly he should be wearing a mask inside someone's house and DaisyL I'm afraid you do no one any favours allowing him to break the rules just because you have the windows open etc. It makes it more difficult for the next household he goes to when he says "the previous lady didn't mind me not wearing a masks she just opened all the windows" and so it spreads....
Lastly I think the man sounds as though he has developped some kind of mental problem as a result of the pandemnic. Some people cope by denying something. He should be encouraged to get help and support because I'm sure this won't be the only example of things not being as they were pre covid in his mind.

4allweknow Sat 24-Apr-21 11:07:59

Non essential trades haven't been allowed in for the whole of the lockdowns but changing next week. Our boiler was due to be serviced, company phoned up to check if I knew of any issues. With none, service arranged for end of May in the hope all we then.
trades

greenlady102 Sat 24-Apr-21 11:12:32

foxie48

She doesn't want a divorce because he's a Covid conspirator, she wants one because he's an idiot.

ha ha yes this

Fernhillnana Sat 24-Apr-21 11:14:37

I wouldn’t divorce my husband because of it, but he holds similar views... there’s a lot of it about.

TrendyNannie6 Sat 24-Apr-21 11:42:20

Well I wouldn’t divorce my husband over that, ( luckily he doesn’t have the same views) I bet a pound to a penny this man has other strong beliefs and this is the final straw for his wife!

Kryptonite Sat 24-Apr-21 11:43:06

Sounds like a mental health issue maybe.

GrammarGrandma Sat 24-Apr-21 11:49:44

It's not "petty" as someone said above but a fundamentally different world view.

billericaylady Sat 24-Apr-21 11:51:47

Goodness me..probably more going on...I've been separated 5 years ...I had My first phone meeting yesterday and the Solicitor said its busier now than it's ever been shock

Kali2 Sat 24-Apr-21 11:52:16

Are children involved? More complicated then ...

timetogo2016 Sat 24-Apr-21 11:55:43

Blimey,with that attitude she should be glad to see the back of him.
That is unless he was bull...ting you.
And he wouldn`t have got over my front door step tbh.

Kamiso Sat 24-Apr-21 11:57:04

There have always been gullible people but they were generally taken up by cults.

Our window cleaner’s last call had been to a woman who told her that the vaccine contained the means to kill off elderly people in ten years time!

We’ll all be standing waiting for the off peak bus that leaves at 9.31 and will collapse one after the other in a row.