Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

101 yrs not had 2nd jab - should we bother?

(37 Posts)
Polarbear2 Sat 08-May-21 10:11:30

This could be very controversial. An elderly lady I know of (age 101) had her first jab 13 weeks ago. GP dragging feet re second one saying they’ve run out of vaccine. Her family are up in arms but I’m looking on thinking ... she’s 101! Shouldn’t a younger person get priority? She could die any day just of old age. I know she has the same rights as everyone else but...??

Calendargirl Sat 08-May-21 17:42:34

Just to throw into the mix.

The GP says they have run out of vaccine.

So if you were told your surgery or vaccination centre had ‘run out’ when your second vaccination was due, would you be willing for the 101 year old to get their jab before you?

BlueBelle Sat 08-May-21 17:48:26

I thought I read that Capt Tom walked round the care home gardens too polar and I know what you mean about the high heels my 95 year old cousin had her eyebrows tattooed on last year I couldn’t be bothered with that palava 20 years younger
??

Kim19 Sat 08-May-21 17:49:06

I think she should certainly have the second jab but it may be a little more difficult if the mountain has to go to Mohammed. However, presumably that's what happened for her first jab and the powers that be should have factored this in. Don't know. Also didn't know that first jab became totally ineffective after the twelve weeks. I feel that seconding people to the rubbish tip because of age is outrageous. If I have to die anyway, I'd certainly try to avoid the Covid method. Sounds harrowing and awful. I fully hope to plod on actively to the best age I can and sincerely hope not to be disregarded on age grounds alone. Sad attitude that.

Callistemon Sat 08-May-21 17:59:10

Of course she should.

I have a friend who is having trouble getting the GP to come to the house to give her DH his 2nd vaccine. We all told her to keep asking/insisting but apparently the surgery has to have several patients in the same small area before they will open a vial!
I hope he doesn't have to start the course again.

(I'd love to be able to wear high heels.)

Chardy Sun 09-May-21 07:53:07

CalendarGirl if they'd run out before me, I don't think I'd question who'd been in front of me.

Shelflife Sun 09-May-21 09:58:46

The very elderly lady should of course be offered the vaccine , there are lots of vaccine refusers who are entitled to make that choice, I am sure they would give up their vaccine for her ! If she catches Covid she will possibly die a very uncomfortable death . She is alive and wearing her high heels - good for her .Life at any age is so precious . I hope her family are fighting for her right to be vaccinated.

Shelflife Sun 09-May-21 10:02:30

13 weeks since first vaccine! This is disgraceful.

M0nica Sun 09-May-21 12:44:16

*You’re right! Wow. It’s such a big place I assumed it was a care home. Loadsa money

Am I alone in finding the last comment offensive, with its tone of jeering envy.

Polarbear2 Sun 09-May-21 14:13:52

It was tongue in cheek. For gods sake can’t anybody be light here. I already accepted sackcloth and ashes for asking the original question. You know I joined GN to have chats, get support, have a laugh, general interest. Initially it was fine but I find it increasingly negative. Think it’s time I retired from here. Thank you to all who supported my recent trials. MOnica - thank you for applying the final straw. Hope you’re happy in your offended little world.

Calendargirl Sun 09-May-21 14:27:41

Polarbear2

I didn’t think your OP was wrong, I could see where you were coming from. If there were a vaccine shortage, it makes sense for younger people to get it really, but that is upsetting to many on here.

Don’t leave, you can’t suit everyone .

Polarbear2 Sun 09-May-21 19:16:43

You know you’re right. Why should I let one ‘offended’ person stop me contributing. Thank you Calendargirl. X