Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Covid 19 - Lift all restrictions?

(452 Posts)
Esspee Thu 20-May-21 10:48:28

We have been discussing the options available to deal with the pandemic.

What do you think if, once everyone has had the opportunity to be vaccinated if they wish, of simply lifting all restrictions?

There would most definitely be a rise in cases but with vaccinations and better treatment options it would not be so serious and not too long before herd immunity was reached. Those of us who are particularly vulnerable could police our own behaviour and shield if necessary with services designed to protect us such as deliveries.

I know it would be a brave government to implement this but the country can’t keep up this semi lockdown regime for ever.

What do you think?

GrannyGravy13 Thu 20-May-21 10:57:29

I think the road map’s intention is to lift all restrictions on 21/06/21, as long as all conditions are met?

Luckygirl Thu 20-May-21 10:58:17

I think we need to be guided by the virus and how it behaves. We are not in control here; the virus is.

winterwhite Thu 20-May-21 11:22:29

I agree with the OP. If it's not one variant it will be another. We need to learn to live with a certain degree of risk, as we do over flying and driving.

Esspee Thu 20-May-21 12:31:52

GrannyGravy13

I think the road map’s intention is to lift all restrictions on 21/06/21, as long as all conditions are met?

Do you really think that will happen Granny? What about Bolton as an example?

PippaZ Thu 20-May-21 12:36:51

A new thread And so it goes on ... a failure in Test and Trace

This might help form an opinion.

Esspee Thu 20-May-21 12:51:32

Sorry Pippa I can’t see why failure of track and trace has any relevance here.
I am suggesting that all restrictions should be lifted and we all take responsibility for our own protection.

nanna8 Thu 20-May-21 12:54:33

So long as you don’t come over here ! Keep it local.

rosie1959 Thu 20-May-21 13:02:07

I hope they are able to lift restrictions we have got to live with this virus.
Allow people to make their own choices I for one am done with the ruddy masks everywhere

Ro60 Thu 20-May-21 13:21:19

? nanna8
A US study shows not all are immune because they've had the virus & some have been hospitalised in a serious condition.

Allowing the virus to continue its clever transmission is a problem.

There again, people need to start 'living' again or we end up with a different set of problems.

I don't think we can rely on enough people to be careful emough,.

Masks have certainly made a difference - I haven't had any of the usual coughs & colds over the at twelve months.

The solution? I'm stumped.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 20-May-21 13:26:56

Espee we have been repeatedly told get vaccinated to ensure that the UK can open up. 70% of UK adults have now been vaccinated, over 35% have had second jabs . The vulnerable and elderly who were most at risk of extreme Covid or death have been vaccinated.

So far all new variants are covered by all available vaccines, the scientists have the ability to tweak if/as required as they do each year for the flu vaccine.

The NHS is nowhere near overwhelmed with Covid-19 patients and the numbers being admitted to hospital are not growing.

The ONS figures say that UK now has lowest mortality figures in the last five years.

We do not close the Country when there are bad flu years , we have to learn to live alongside this virus, it’s here to stay.

PippaZ Thu 20-May-21 13:32:37

Esspee

I am suggesting that all restrictions should be lifted and we all take responsibility for our own protection.

If Test and Trace isn't working how can you risk opening everything up?

When all the strands are working we will be able to move forward and then we can take responsibility.

Unfortunately, just saying we have personal responsibility doesn't mean much without the conditions in which to carry out that responsibility. I would be worried about the sort of "responsibility" someone would take, or expect of others, if they don't recognise that.

nanna8 Thu 20-May-21 13:32:45

They really stress those people who get blood clots here and as a result many are refusing to be vaccinated until they can get Pfizer vaccine - which we have very little of. Most my age are getting it but it is slow .

Ilovecheese Thu 20-May-21 13:34:41

Surely Espee the track and trace system is relevant and important here because how can we make an informed decision about our behaviour if we don't know the number of cases in our area.

Gannygangan Thu 20-May-21 13:35:44

GrannyGravy13

Yep.

PippaZ Thu 20-May-21 13:35:51

Ilovecheese snap smile

Ilovecheese Thu 20-May-21 13:35:54

Sorry Esspee, spelt your name wrong

reelashosser Thu 20-May-21 13:35:55

Scientists have been saying for months that we will have to live with variations on this virus for years, and will probably have to be vaccinated against it as a matter of course, in just the same way we are vaccinated against flu.

MayBee70 Thu 20-May-21 13:39:48

rosie1959

Allow people to make their own choices I for one am done with the ruddy masks everywhere

And that is the reason why it wouldn’t work. Because we all need to do everything we can to both protect ourselves and those around us. People that refuse to wear masks, be vaccinated or socially distance themselves will just continue to spread the virus to other people given that the vaccine doesn’t prevent people from catching the virus 100%.

Shinamae Thu 20-May-21 13:44:19

Esspee

I totally agree

GrannyGravy13 Thu 20-May-21 13:46:30

MayBee70

rosie1959

And that is the reason why it wouldn’t work. Because we all need to do everything we can to both protect ourselves and those around us. People that refuse to wear masks, be vaccinated or socially distance themselves will just continue to spread the virus to other people given that the vaccine doesn’t prevent people from catching the virus 100%.

So are you really suggesting that the UK and the rest of the world live under Covid-19 restrictions for the foreseeable future ?

Mass vaccination is bringing down the cases, week by week, month by month and consequently year by year.

We have no choice but to live as normal alongside this virus as we do many other deadly diseases/viruses.

rosie1959 Thu 20-May-21 13:51:15

Maybee we can’t live like this forever
I have had both vaccinations and quite frankly I have had enough We should have most of the adult population vaccinated at least once within a month or so
If we open up and I still catch this virus then so be it It will be tough luck but the vaccination should do it’s job and hopefully I won’t end up pushing up daisies

PippaZ Thu 20-May-21 13:53:10

reelashosser

Scientists have been saying for months that we will have to live with variations on this virus for years, and will probably have to be vaccinated against it as a matter of course, in just the same way we are vaccinated against flu.

But to do this 'living with the virus' and survive we need the best tools to help us we can get. This is not the flu!

GrannyGravy13 Thu 20-May-21 13:55:27

It is being reported (Politics Today) that the death rate in England is now the lowest since records began!

MayBee70 Thu 20-May-21 13:59:23

And how long does it take after the second vaccination for full immunity to kick in? I agree that once everyone is vaccinated we need to review things. But it takes several months after the first vaccination for good immunity to kick in. Dare I say that you want to get back to normal because you’ve had both vaccines but are not considering those that haven’t had one vaccination yet and those that have only just started their vaccination programme. Several countries that have dropped their guard too soon have ended up with escalating infection rates. My son is having his first vaccine tomorrow but is now having to go back to work in his office. I’ll be pretty annoyed if he catches covid because the infection rate is rising and he hasn’t had the full vaccination programme.