Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Covid 19 - Lift all restrictions?

(453 Posts)
Esspee Thu 20-May-21 10:48:28

We have been discussing the options available to deal with the pandemic.

What do you think if, once everyone has had the opportunity to be vaccinated if they wish, of simply lifting all restrictions?

There would most definitely be a rise in cases but with vaccinations and better treatment options it would not be so serious and not too long before herd immunity was reached. Those of us who are particularly vulnerable could police our own behaviour and shield if necessary with services designed to protect us such as deliveries.

I know it would be a brave government to implement this but the country can’t keep up this semi lockdown regime for ever.

What do you think?

Urmstongran Thu 20-May-21 14:08:45

BREAKING NEWS:

Grant Shapps has just said many of the countries currently on the amber list might be on the green list in 2 weeks!

Spain (hopefully) here we come!

☀️?

PippaZ Thu 20-May-21 14:09:17

MayBee70

rosie1959

I hope they are able to lift restrictions we have got to live with this virus.
Allow people to make their own choices I for one am done with the ruddy masks everywhere

And that is the reason why it wouldn’t work. Because we all need to do everything we can to both protect ourselves and those around us. People that refuse to wear masks, be vaccinated or socially distance themselves will just continue to spread the virus to other people given that the vaccine doesn’t prevent people from catching the virus 100%.

I agree with you MayBee70. That it will become more relaxed I have no doubt but we are not allowed to drive our cars over speed limits in certain places or when we have been drinking and I think some laws will have to change to deal with Covid but that is life - it changes. Factories are no longer allowed to use small boys climbing under machines - or dangerous machines for that matter. Changes in the world we live in always bring changes in the law and in the way we behave.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 20-May-21 14:12:24

Urmstongran

BREAKING NEWS:

Grant Shapps has just said many of the countries currently on the amber list might be on the green list in 2 weeks!

☀️?

Whoop Whoop!!! ?

rosie1959 Thu 20-May-21 14:13:31

Maybee I hate to say it but the young are no where so concerned about this.
I was concerned that my daughter has had both because she is a type 1 diabetic but the young and fit are really at a low chance of serious illness and are still quite happy to go out and about with or without the vaccine

MayBee70 Thu 20-May-21 14:17:08

My son isn’t all that young. And those that are happy to go around are probably spreading the virus to those that aren’t fit and healthy. I’ll continue to do everything I can to protect others, and that includes your daughter.

rosie1959 Thu 20-May-21 14:24:25

Sorry Maybee I presumed your son was young because is is only getting his first vaccine My son is 36 but had his first early March. He has been out and about because he has his own company and has to earn a living
At the moment infection rates are not increasing per 100.00 despite the Indian variant Hospital admissions are very low and deaths have about fell off the radar We just have a different outlook I am definitely not uncaring but I don’t live in a fearful state about this. It was more dangerous driving to the vaccination centre yesterday when some humbug cut me up on a busy roundabout

PippaZ Thu 20-May-21 14:32:53

We just have a different outlook I am definitely not uncaring but I don’t live in a fearful state about this.

Wouldn't reasonable rules/laws mean that no one has to "live in a fearful state"? I think it would be uncaring to condemn some for the sake of a few curbing their behaviour a little.

I really can't see why we shouldn't be expected to wear masks in crowded places for instance. I would save the NHS a fortune if the huge drop in flu cases last winter is anything to go by.

Surely a balance would help everyone and currently we know less than we need to and are not geared up, by the sound of it, to let everything rip.

MayBee70 Thu 20-May-21 14:38:21

I seem to remember how horrified many people were at the thought of wearing seat belts. We need to change our mind set about a lot if things. Mask wearing is only a form of preventative health care, something else that we need to embrace moving forward.

Galaxy62 Thu 20-May-21 14:45:38

Yes defo lift restrictions everywhere if had vaccinations, this is what i thought was going to happen once we had been vaccinated but we are having more restrictions instead.

rosie1959 Thu 20-May-21 14:50:28

Some may want to see masks continue but in reality once restrictions are lifted it’s not going to happen
Anyone that wants to embrace it absolutely fine I just won’t be one of them I hate them

Franbern Thu 20-May-21 15:01:22

I also detest masks. They have also cost me the price of two replacement hearing aids, lost when taking these things off.

I have had both my vaccinations, and am really not sure exactly how I am protecting anyone by wearing one of these horrible things.

I also have some concerns as to the hygiene of many of the masks, so many pushed on top of the head onto hair, screwed up into pockets or bags between wearing.

It is all very well saying that each mask should just be worn once, and then either disposed of or washed, but we all know it is just not happening.

Yes, this virus, like so many others will stay around for a few years yet, however with heartfelt thanks to our brilliant scientists, we now have vaccines which will improve in the efficiancy and control

So many lives have been damaged with all these lockdowns, so many people are now in an advanced stage of anxiety due to the fear that has been spread around.

As has been said, our mortality rate in this country is lower than it has been for years. Come on.....let us really start to all live and mix again.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 20-May-21 15:13:26

Masks worn incorrectly, for too long, ineffective material, or not washed correctly have little to no protection for the wearer or anyone else.

MayBee70 Thu 20-May-21 15:18:22

Then perhaps people need to learn how to use them correctly. It isn’t rocket science. People in eastern countries don’t seem to find it a problem.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 20-May-21 15:22:51

MayBee70

Then perhaps people need to learn how to use them correctly. It isn’t rocket science. People in eastern countries don’t seem to find it a problem.

My company sells PPE and has done for over 35 years, people in work situations (NHS, building sites etc.) are taught how to wear them and the correct size, sort needed.

Face coverings that people have made themselves or bought off of the internet are just that coverings with limited effectiveness.

rosie1959 Thu 20-May-21 15:22:53

Perhaps many are sick of the damn things and really do not want to wear them anymore properly or otherwise

GrannyGravy13 Thu 20-May-21 15:26:12

rosie1959 I think you might be correct.

MerylStreep Thu 20-May-21 15:33:43

Let’s let the anxious, vulnerable stay at home and give support while the vast majority get on with our lives.

Happy holiday Urmstongran ?

growstuff Thu 20-May-21 15:37:39

GrannyGravy13

MayBee70

My company sells PPE and has done for over 35 years, people in work situations (NHS, building sites etc.) are taught how to wear them and the correct size, sort needed.

Face coverings that people have made themselves or bought off of the internet are just that coverings with limited effectiveness.

Exactly! People in many work situations have to wear and use protective clothing or equipment. I don't see wearing a mask as something that annoying, apart from people with medical conditions.

I won't feel comfortable "going back to normal" unless those around me behave like the responsible citizens they claim they are.

growstuff Thu 20-May-21 15:38:11

MerylStreep

Let’s let the anxious, vulnerable stay at home and give support while the vast majority get on with our lives.

Happy holiday Urmstongran ?

Why? Because a handful of people are selfish?

growstuff Thu 20-May-21 15:42:07

How does pushing a mask on the head or screwing it up in a bag affect the ability of a mask to be a barrier against virus transmission by reducing droplets?

An unwashed mask might be covered in bacteria, as are most of our bodies and clothes normally (just like everything else we touch), but it can still prevent transmission of a virus. Viruses cannot survive more than a few hours, whereas bacteria keep multiplying.

rosie1959 Thu 20-May-21 15:43:01

I don’t think you will find it’s a handful that are “ selfish”
Going back to normal does not involve wearing masks this is not China

growstuff Thu 20-May-21 15:43:05

rosie1959

Maybee I hate to say it but the young are no where so concerned about this.
I was concerned that my daughter has had both because she is a type 1 diabetic but the young and fit are really at a low chance of serious illness and are still quite happy to go out and about with or without the vaccine

Not all young people are like your daughter. My children certainly aren't.

growstuff Thu 20-May-21 15:44:56

Urmstongran

BREAKING NEWS:

☀️?

Yeah, well! And we all believe Grant Shapps, don't we? Are you sure it wasn't Michael Green?

MerylStreep Thu 20-May-21 15:46:19

growstuff
I believe that we are now in a situation where the tail is wagging the dog.
We have to live with this, and thanks to our wonderful scientists the vast majority of us will.

growstuff Thu 20-May-21 15:46:21

rosie1959

I don’t think you will find it’s a handful that are “ selfish”
Going back to normal does not involve wearing masks this is not China

Ah! So are you claiming that more than a handful is selfish? In that case I certainly won't be "going back to normal" while these anti-social people are out and about.