Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Lateral flow tests

(186 Posts)
Gymstagran Tue 25-May-21 16:36:12

Is anybody doing the twice a week lateral flow tests? On different threads there have been comments indicating that people have had coughs and colds but noone mentions self testing. On a different social media platform a GP stated that he had three consecutive patients complaining of coughs and none of them had taken a test. Is this why the new variant is spreading rapidly? How can people be persuaded to self test?

Galaxy Fri 28-May-21 09:31:50

We just plough through the gagging grin. It sounds horrendous in this house twice a week!

JaneJudge Fri 28-May-21 13:01:17

I don't think you can stop the gagging! I am just pleased I'm allowed to do my own tests, I couldn't cope with someone else doing them

3nanny6 Fri 28-May-21 13:29:18

I have been doing them for about a month and all negatives so far. I manage them okay but after doing the nostril swab I sneeze about 10 times. I have been given a different blood pressure tablet and so I have to take my blood pressure every
other day it's a bit like doing hospital tests in my house at the moment.

Grannynannywanny Fri 28-May-21 14:15:01

JaneJudge
I don't think you can stop the gagging! I am just pleased I'm allowed to do my own tests, I couldn't cope with someone else doing them

Strangely, I’m finding the opposite. I had mine done for several weeks by staff prior to being allowed in for a care home visit. In recent weeks I’ve been allowed to self test at home prior to my visit. Now I gag every time!

Marydoll Fri 28-May-21 14:33:44

I have had both vaccines, but as a shielder have been advised to do lateral tests twice weekly by NHS Scotland Shielding Service.

This morning I completed a survey for them on taking lateral flow tests. I'm all for any assistance we can offer to help research.

I too can't fathom your reasoning, GrannyRose. Because of increased testing in Glasgow, people who have been asymptomatic have tested positive and measures taken to try to limit the spread of the virus.
No wonder the virus is spreading, if some posters think we should stop testing.

Roswell Sun 30-May-21 10:39:14

Yes, twice a week because I work in a school. All negative so far.

Mollygo Sun 30-May-21 10:41:43

Twice a week for work. If practice makes perfect I should stop gagging soon.

pen50 Sun 30-May-21 10:43:12

Should probably take them but don't, because the false-positive rate is too high; though I can WFH, partner can't and wouldn't get paid if he had to isolate with me. OTOH we've both had our full set of jabs and I have taken the PCR tests whenever the Zoe app asks me to; several times so far because of my hay fever, and all resolutely negative. If we were in an area of high covid risk I would regularly do the tests, but we're not - I only know one local person who got it, and that was back in January. It helps to live in a bit of a backwater!

NoddingGanGan Sun 30-May-21 10:47:19

Of course there's a point in taking them! The only, "failing" is the occasional false positive which can be corrected within 24 hrs by taking a PCR test. So sorry for your inconvenience hmm
If their prevailing fault was to throw out false negatives, of which there is no evidence, then you might have a point.

Silvertwigs Sun 30-May-21 10:47:28

Whiff you may have already had it last year and not even known it, 10’s of 1,000’s people don’t even get a sore throat?

beth20 Sun 30-May-21 10:48:25

We don't do them regularly but do test before we visit other people or have visitors here, and luckily have been negative so far.
It's an uncomfortable experience but we feel reassured so worth doing.

greenlady102 Sun 30-May-21 10:49:36

no because I have got a frail elderly dog and don't go anywhere. I have got a pack though and would absolutely do it if I went out or if I got symptoms

Ashcombe Sun 30-May-21 10:51:14

I'm gagging less now I've begun doing the test sitting at a table with a mirror instead of standing in the bathroom. Perhaps that enables me to be more relaxed.

Missiseff Sun 30-May-21 10:52:40

Blimey. I haven't done any. I work in a hospital and no-one's ever recommended that I should either.

DaisyL Sun 30-May-21 10:53:30

As a volunteer at our local hospital I have to do the Lateral Flow Test twice a week and log them in on the computer. We get given them free and they are nose only - no back of the throat swabs. We get the results at home within 30 minutes. I've had both vaccines but still do the LF Tests - they may not be 100% accurate but like many times during this pandemic we are (most of us!) just trying to do our best we can to get through it.

Jinty64 Sun 30-May-21 10:54:05

My teenaged son who is still at school and dsd who works in a school, test twice a week and I believe ds3’s teachers test every school morning. Our grandson had Covid recently, caught at school but dsd, despite isolating and caring for him, didn’t get it. The rest of us have never had a test or any symptoms. Dh and I are fully vaccinated now and the numbers are very low here. Ds1 and ds2 are working from home and have registered for vaccination.

Huguenot Sun 30-May-21 10:54:58

Of course. We're a self-employed oven cleaning company so these tests are another string to our "we're doing our best" bow. Reassuring for customers at a time when we should all be restricting footfall at home and out and about.

rowanflower0 Sun 30-May-21 10:55:48

I did a test a few weeks ago, when the whole area had them put through the letterbox. Posted it back same day and got a text next day to say it was negative. Have not seen a test since then.
Are we supposed to be doing them?
Where would we get one?

Riggie Sun 30-May-21 10:57:10

Yes. DS'a college are asking students to do them, and the NHS recommendation is that the whole household test.

The pharmacy we use has just started distrubuting test packs which makes it easier to get enough

NotANana Sun 30-May-21 10:59:34

I have been doing the LFTs (on Tuesdays and Fridays...). All negative so far (as I knew they would be...)
I feel that they are better than nothing.
If I get a positive result I will be able to isolate until it is confirmed - or not - by the PCR test. I need to be able to keep people I work with as safe as I possibly can. Testing frequently alongside wearing a mask, keeping socially distanced and hand hygiene seems to be the way to go and I will be doing this for quite a long time to come, I think.

I went to our local Vaccination Centre to find out how to do them properly - the nurse who was with me said that if she heard people gagging, she knew they were in the right place in their throat.
I really don't like taking the nasal swab, though...

JdotJ Sun 30-May-21 11:01:39

No, never done one

Riggie Sun 30-May-21 11:01:50

rowanflower0

I did a test a few weeks ago, when the whole area had them put through the letterbox. Posted it back same day and got a text next day to say it was negative. Have not seen a test since then.
Are we supposed to be doing them?
Where would we get one?

If you go on the government website there are details of hownto get them. Mainly -

Posted to you on line (one pack per household per day)

Various test sites run by the NHS

Some pharmacies

Our city council also has some sites where they do "symptom free" testing and also give out home test packs.

Ashcombe Sun 30-May-21 11:02:10

You can also apply on the NHS website and they arrive the following day in a pack of seven. I feel the necessity for every adult to conduct these tests has not been publicised widely enough since it was first mentioned.

Ashcombe Sun 30-May-21 11:04:03

Sorry its a government site:-

www.gov.uk/order-coronavirus-rapid-lateral-flow-tests

Riggie Sun 30-May-21 11:04:07

Galaxy

We just plough through the gagging grin. It sounds horrendous in this house twice a week!

DS and I do both nostrils instead - as mentioned in the instruction book. DS because he has disabilities and we would never get him to do it, and me because I'm a wimp!!