Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Lateral flow tests

(185 Posts)
Gymstagran Tue 25-May-21 16:36:12

Is anybody doing the twice a week lateral flow tests? On different threads there have been comments indicating that people have had coughs and colds but noone mentions self testing. On a different social media platform a GP stated that he had three consecutive patients complaining of coughs and none of them had taken a test. Is this why the new variant is spreading rapidly? How can people be persuaded to self test?

Whiff Tue 25-May-21 16:46:19

I did my first one on Saturday it was negative which I knew it would be . But as the Indian variant is up here thought it was the responsible thing to do. I have had both doses of AZ. And have done 4 ones you send away since September.

My daughter and family all got Covid in February I had been with them a lot but when I was tested it was negative. How I didn't catch it I don't know. Had my first vaccine in March.

Because I am going out more often that's another reason to do the lateral flow tests. But am going to only do them every Saturday.

You have to register a negative result as well as positive ones. Couldn't do it on line so phoned the result in.

tanith Tue 25-May-21 16:48:49

Yes I’ve been doing them for a couple of weeks all negative registered online. I’ve had both jabs.

YorkLady Tue 25-May-21 18:45:17

Yes. Every week. All negative and recorded online.

Baggs Tue 25-May-21 20:45:35

I have them at work twice a week. All negative. In fact the list was getting so long on the Zöe App that I've let them know I'll enter a positive result should there ever be one but not the negatives.

I have a bit of a dry cough and have had it for a while. It might be because of all the tree pollen that's around at the moment.

Galaxy Tue 25-May-21 20:47:21

Yes twice a week for work. All negative. I have had colds/cough whilst testing.

JaneJudge Tue 25-May-21 20:48:02

we are all doing them

Puzzler61 Tue 25-May-21 20:53:18

DH has been doing them twice weekly and is on the Imperial College research programme, but I obtained some Lateral Flow Test kits just this week to start doing them twice a week too.

Margiknot Tue 25-May-21 21:21:46

Yes I do them for work twice a week for work as does our young adult son ( for college). I collected some tests from our pharmacy ( our son forgot to get more test strips from college) but can’t persuade my husband to start testing, but he might if he goes out more. LFT are not very sensitive- but more specific than checking temperature. I do wonder how good they are at picking up presymptomatic cases.

Gymstagran Wed 26-May-21 08:59:23

Its good to see all the people who are doing the testing, I'm just hopeful that more will too.

rosie1959 Wed 26-May-21 09:07:20

I did one yesterday my eustachian tubes are blocked again my grandaughter lovingly gave me her snotty nose causing me to be stuffed up with a tickle cough in my throat. I know what this is have had it many times before but no big deal to test
We also do tests monthly for ONS study
But will pick up more lateral flow tests they have a pile in our chemists
My daughter orders hers direct from NHS they come the next day

Grannynannywanny Wed 26-May-21 09:15:16

I’ve been doing weekly for the past 10 weeks prior to a care home visit.

I used to have to turn up 30 mins prior to visit for staff to do test then I’d be allowed in after negative results. They’re now happy for me to do it myself before I set off to visit.

Franbern Wed 26-May-21 09:18:55

Problem with these LFT is that they are so very inefficient and get so many flase positives. At my daughters school, two of her pupils got positive results, which proved negative when proper test carried out. A few days later teacher at one of my g.sons school got positive test -which would have meant him going into isolation over next weeks half term when his family are going on holiday - proper test showed this to be a negative.

If we cannot trust these test results, seem little point in doing them.

Ashcombe Wed 26-May-21 09:23:57

I’m taking the lateral flow tests as it was said it would help statisticians to monitor outbreaks. I feel like I’m doing my bit by taking the test twice a week. All negative so far.

Whiff Wed 26-May-21 16:23:00

Them same can be said for other tests Franbern. My last kidney infection the urine sample said no infection but knew I had one so had blood tests and they showed I had a kidney infection.

Not having tests because they may not be 100% reliable is a poor excuse for not doing the tests.

The other test I had done at a test centre even though I hadn't any symptoms as we where encourage here in the north west to have tests done with or without symptoms this was before Christmas. Since then I have done 3 home tests once because my family all had Covid and the other twice because I developed a cough.

I will continue the lateral flow tests but if I get a positive result or develope symptoms I will do the other test .

Margiknot Wed 26-May-21 21:39:24

The hospital I work in has recommended ( but not demanded) all patients attending outpatients should performa LFT at home before attending. Before this recommendation all patients ( and carers where needed) had their temperatures checked on entry - which is not very specific and would miss the presymptomatic. The tests seem to be easier to get hold of now. Until we get a more sensitive and accurate easy to use home Covid test, they might be better than nothing.

ElaineI Wed 26-May-21 22:30:21

We are. Done 2 so far both negative.

downtoearth Thu 27-May-21 15:10:52

Just ordered mine from NHS yesterday, they arrived this morning

Mancjules Thu 27-May-21 22:55:24

I volunteer at a large theatre and we have to do one before every shift.

GrannyRose15 Fri 28-May-21 01:18:44

The longer we continue testing, the longer restrictions will be in place.
It's time to get back to normal.

growstuff Fri 28-May-21 01:28:26

GrannyRose15

The longer we continue testing, the longer restrictions will be in place.
It's time to get back to normal.

I don't understand how you work that. Infection won't go away if we stop testing.

growstuff Fri 28-May-21 01:29:28

Franbern

Problem with these LFT is that they are so very inefficient and get so many flase positives. At my daughters school, two of her pupils got positive results, which proved negative when proper test carried out. A few days later teacher at one of my g.sons school got positive test -which would have meant him going into isolation over next weeks half term when his family are going on holiday - proper test showed this to be a negative.

If we cannot trust these test results, seem little point in doing them.

There are very few false positives. False negatives are far more likely.

rubysong Fri 28-May-21 06:55:10

How do I prevent gagging when I swab the back of the throat. I did one and was nearly sick? (It was negative.)

Liz46 Fri 28-May-21 08:00:12

I went to the dentist and hygienist a couple of days ago. As they would be so close to me, I did a test before I went. When I told the dentist he said that, as I had had both jabs, it was not necessary to do tests.

Teacheranne Fri 28-May-21 09:09:35

rubysong

How do I prevent gagging when I swab the back of the throat. I did one and was nearly sick? (It was negative.)

I also struggle when using the swab in my mouth. I checked on the NHS website and it said that if you have an issue with gagging, you can take samples from both nostrils instead. I always seem to sneeze though when I rotate the swab up my nose!