Coronavirus

Dominic Cummings

(613 Posts)
Daisymae Wed 26-May-21 10:42:09

Anyone watching live? Wow, just wow.

PippaZ Sun 30-May-21 17:53:36

The concern does not cease.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 30-May-21 18:55:10

Ah yes the man that has been tweeting that the UK has the highest death toll in Europe when per capita we are currently 17th?

Alegrias1 Sun 30-May-21 19:07:13

But we do have the highest COVID death toll in Europe....

Honestly, do you think he didn't check?

(Data from Worldometer)

Dinahmo Sun 30-May-21 19:13:31

GrannyGravy13

Ah yes the man that has been tweeting that the UK has the highest death toll in Europe when per capita we are currently 17th?

I tried to find your statistics but couldn't. The one I found showed 10 countries above us but 20 with fewer per capital deaths than in the UK. (Statistica.com)

Lucca Sun 30-May-21 19:20:50

lemongrove

The point I am making here Lucca is that it’s a mistake for anyone to take themselves too seriously on forums.Or, to take any other posters or the subject matter, to heart too much.

It feels like you think posters should just post an opinion and move on rather than taking issue and indeed coming up with facts to back up a different point of view.

I can honestly say that I am impressed with many posters who are far more knowledgeable than I am and who do take the time to research issues, obviously via internet...it’s 2021!

GrannyGravy13 Sun 30-May-21 19:35:50

Checked

GrannyGravy13 Sun 30-May-21 19:37:56

Alegrias1 per capita not overall number.

Alegrias1 Sun 30-May-21 19:40:17

Ah, per capita.

That's not what Keir said though, is it? smile He's still right.

NotSpaghetti Sun 30-May-21 23:02:00

Here's the deaths per "million"
Alegrias1 and GrannyGravy - but just look who is ahead of us.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 31-May-21 16:28:01

Interesting reading this weekend about the Tory party and Cummings.

The opinion is that the Tories were riding high after the recent elections, but Cummings has pricked that bubble, which has punctured the Tories sense of invincibility.

Tories are now trying to decide just how many problems both real and immediate Cummings has created for Johnson.

The first and largest is the dilemma over unlocking on 21 June.

If Johnson does and it all goes pear shaped then Johnson leaves himself wide open and rightly so to the charge that he has learned zilch from past covid waves.

If however he delays he will be in huge trouble with the headbangers to the right of the party.

The question over whether the enquiry should be brought forward is also giving the Tories a severe headache.

Worst of all for the Tories, is the question over how much more has Cummings left to reveal.

Johnson knows that Cummings will stop at nothing to win.

And this knowledge is terrifying the Tory party.

PippaZ Mon 31-May-21 18:49:15

I think the loss of the sense of invincibility was very obvious on here last week too WhiteWave.

This is the problem when you support the man and not the policies. If you look closely at the policies the Tories are very divided on policy and it often looks as if many don't even know what they are - and many in the country feel the same. Yes, one small group has been having its way and the Tory MPs would go through the lobby with a donkey if they thought it necessary and kept their jobs.

However, when someone who has behaved towards their party as Johnson has, shows any sign of weakness in his position as PM, the knives will be out. If they think Cummings can topple him they will disappear from behind him very quickly and he has no political friends. Those who do support him are doing it to gain power themselves.

Kali2 Mon 31-May-21 18:51:51

Yes, I think when it does happen, it will be very quick and brutal.

MayBee70 Mon 31-May-21 19:22:28

Just look at the decent Conservative MP’s that wouldn’t serve under him eg Rory Stewart and Anna Soubry. I doubt that Kenneth Clark wouldn’t have stayed had he not retired either. I don’t think that Dominic Grieve would have remained if he hadn’t been effectively thrown out. I’m disappointed that Tobias Elwood is so loyal to Johnson. I thought better of him.

JaneJudge Mon 31-May-21 19:47:15

Alistair Burt too

Whatdayisit Mon 31-May-21 20:15:59

Rory Stewart waa thrown out and if anyone would call Johnson a liar it would be him.

varian Mon 31-May-21 20:24:41

Is there anyone who would honestly assert that Boris Johnson is not a liar?

No of course not. He has been caught out for lying many times and sacked at least twice for lying.

The problem is that, just like Trump, he always gets away with it because his sycophantic fans just don't care.

Remember Trump saying that he could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot someone and they would still vote for him? That was one of the very few occasions when he told the truth.

Boris doesn't need to shoot anyone. He has, as Cummings reminded us, been responsible for many unnecessary deaths.

MayBee70 Mon 31-May-21 21:39:31

Whatdayisit

Rory Stewart waa thrown out and if anyone would call Johnson a liar it would be him.

He said he would never serve under Johnson as PM. And Anna Soubry told us what she thought of Johnson years ago.

Whatdayisit Tue 01-Jun-21 09:34:55

They had the Conservative Party whip withdrawn and were brutallytold they wouldn't be allowed to serve as Conservative Party MPs and were left with no option to resign. Boris and Cummings even booted out Sir Winston's Grandson in their bloody coup.

MayBee70 Tue 01-Jun-21 10:41:01

I lose track of the events leading up to everything these days. I know Johnson did everything he could to undermine May. Strange that a party can oust someone like Rory Stewart but embrace the likes of Peter Bone and yet be hugely popular confused.

PippaZ Tue 01-Jun-21 10:53:50

Whatdayisit

It would, but very politely and reasonably smile

Talullah Tue 01-Jun-21 10:56:20

I like Rory.

He did a marvellous speech in the House of Commons about my favourite wee beasts, hedgehogs.

PippaZ Tue 01-Jun-21 11:29:18

Talullah, you can can relive that moment here

I have to agree with the first comment below it.

PippaZ Tue 01-Jun-21 11:40:00

Back to Domonic Cummings. This is from an article in the Guardian on Saturday

This was the generation that rebuilt our country after the second world war. You don’t have to believe Dominic Cummings to see that what happened was a betrayal. Care homes and care workers were left exposed and unsupported.

We may never know whether Boris Johnson said Covid “was only killing 80-year-olds” when he delayed a second lockdown. What we do know is that the man charged with keeping them safe showed callous disregard for our elderly, as he overlooked the incompetence of his health secretary.

This isn’t just an argument about decisions taken (or not taken). It’s about leadership.

NotSpaghetti Tue 01-Jun-21 12:35:15

Pippa and Talullah - He is definitely a detail man.
I wonder if there's ^any^ subject BJ could talk about for 13 minutes without bumbling and repetition?

What would it be?

GillT57 Tue 01-Jun-21 12:57:38

Meanwhile, Gove is lurking in the shadows as Cummings puts the knife in for his master. Too many people like Johnson, forgive him any of his many faults, metaphorically ruffle his hair and say " oh, he is doing his best". The problem that the Tories have is that Gove is repellent, even to the most devout Tory apologist. He is also a liar, but that is no longer a problem it would seem in this new Britain that I find myself living in.