Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Hancock having affair during lockdown unbelievable!

(249 Posts)
B9exchange Fri 25-Jun-21 09:11:57

The Sun (apologies, but they got the scoop) has published a picture od Matt Hancock in a steamy embrace with a woman he sneaked into a job at DHSC last November, the story is that they have been carrying on an affair in the office since then. The hypocrisy of him calling for Neil Ferguson spelling amended by GNHQ at OP's request to be sacked for his lockdown breaking affair cannot be overestimated.

Ladyleftfieldlover Fri 25-Jun-21 09:14:00

I’ve just seen this on Twitter! Unbelievable! Must gather my thoughts.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 25-Jun-21 09:18:08

Worth a read

Thoughts on Hancock
Posted on June 25 2021

Did I really want to think about Matt Hancock this morning? Would I on any morning? Probably not. But he has somewhat thrust himself into news agenda and so some thoughts on the affair that it is suggested by The Sun that he is having with Department of Health non-executive director Gina Coladengelo seem to be appropriate.

First, I am not worried about people’s sex lives. What consenting adults get up to is not my business, or anyone else’s, usually. It is only when relationships impact on other issues that they matter.

Second, I feel sorry for his wife and especially his children. This is going to be tough on them.

Third, this is an issue that is of political concern. Numerous questions arise.

First, how and why was Gina Coladengelo appointed without any scrutiny of the appointment? Was the relationship already in existence? We know she and Hancock are old friends; were there issues not disclosed?

Second, Covid rules were broken. Is that inconsequential for the Health Secretary?

Third, have any aspects of the ministerial code been broken? Alternatively are there rules about relationships with staff? I would be surprised if there were not. And, she was on his staff.

Fourth, she is a lobbyist. Did she or any client secure preferment? In particular, were there PPE contracts that she won for herself or clients?

And, fifth, when will full disclosure of all potential conflicts of interest be made?

The sex is inconsequential. Instead what matters is whether abuse of public funding has taken place. Hancock already has considerable form on that issue. I think it wholly appropriate to ask.

Richard Murphy

GrannyGravy13 Fri 25-Jun-21 09:20:22

He is not the first person to have an affair and I doubt very much he will be the last!

I do feel for the innocent partners, wider family and any children involved.

Not the brightest thing to do when telling others to hands-face-space during a worldwide pandemic.

B9exchange Fri 25-Jun-21 09:21:30

Can he really survive this one? How are they going to brush this level of hypocrisy under the carpet?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 25-Jun-21 09:22:03

GrannyGravy13

He is not the first person to have an affair and I doubt very much he will be the last!

Not the brightest thing to do when telling others to hands-face-space during a worldwide pandemic.

But it isn’t that simple is it?

Galaxy Fri 25-Jun-21 09:23:20

Actually having an affair at work means you cant do your job properly, anyone who says otherwise is lying.

Luckygirl Fri 25-Jun-21 09:24:03

Well Boris can hardly sack him - pots and kettles and all that!

Spinnaker Fri 25-Jun-21 09:24:30

Just proves the point that when your own party want rid they won't stop at anything, including leaking an inside security picture.

Lucca Fri 25-Jun-21 09:27:28

If he met up with her during lockdown then it is extremely serious.

I agree with what Richard Murphy says.

Talullah Fri 25-Jun-21 09:29:27

Matt Hancock has been hanging on by his fingertips for a while now. I imagine he'll resign before he's pushed. I just wonder who on earth leaked the photo. They'll have to leave as well.

Doodledog Fri 25-Jun-21 09:36:24

I wonder if this has broken now to save the government from having to admit that the Health Secretary has hopelessly mishandled the pandemic and sack him for that.

This way, they can get rid of him by taking the moral high ground.

Smileless2012 Fri 25-Jun-21 09:37:12

As far as I'm aware there's no evidence to suggest that he "sneaked" her into the job at DHSC. Niall Ferguson I seem to remember was having his lover to his home during lock down; no suggestion so far that Hancock has been a regular visitor to his home, or him to hers.

As you say Lucca if he met up with her during lock down that certainly makes this a more serious matter.

So sorry for his wife, their children and extended family.

gillgran Fri 25-Jun-21 09:46:40

Oh dear, if this is true, then I am really disappointed.

I have always defended & felt rather sorry for Matt Hancock.
He's had a tough job during the pandemic, sometimes "out of his depth" & overwhelmed.
It would have been an almost impossible job for anyone.

If this story is correct, I feel so sorry for his family.

vegansrock Fri 25-Jun-21 09:46:50

Anyone having a grope or two at work isn’t doing their job properly, though with Johnson’s track record he can hardly take the moral high ground. So no doubt there will be lots of sweeping under carpets over the weekend.

Framilode Fri 25-Jun-21 09:50:28

I agree with the other posters that say he has been set up. It's a way of getting rid of him. However that doesn't excuse him.

I do hope he kept to the social distancing rules when shagging.

Lollin Fri 25-Jun-21 09:53:08

It is very obvious they are on a mission to make him look bad and push him out Even releasing HM remarking on him in that video with BJ the other day. One rule for the likes of some one rule for certain others. So obvious.

Lin52 Fri 25-Jun-21 09:53:11

Feel for his family. Both Hancock and his mistress must resign or be sacked. His enemies will be drooling over this.

B9exchange Fri 25-Jun-21 09:54:49

To appoint a friend to your office to a job you have created for her without going through the usual advertising and interview process seems like sneaking her in to me, surely it wouldn't be tolerated elsewhere?

GagaJo Fri 25-Jun-21 09:55:01

B9exchange

Can he really survive this one? How are they going to brush this level of hypocrisy under the carpet?

Of course he'll survive. His boss did it and is still PM. Cummings was golden balls, even after breaking all lockdown rules, until he messed with the bosses g/f.

The cons are a snake pit. None is better than any of the others. They don't care.

Lovetopaint037 Fri 25-Jun-21 09:57:17

For goodness sake. He could hardly have had his mind fully on the job when it has never been so essential for the country to be depending on his ability to fully focus. This added to shambolic Boris is hardly reassuring. As for the morality and integrity ……..

hazel93 Fri 25-Jun-21 10:00:48

Whitewavemark2

GrannyGravy13

But it isn’t that simple is it?

Exactly !
Far from that simple. How can any minister still be able to appoint whomever to any pivotal role without scrutiny ,which appears to have happened in this case.
As to the alleged affair I'm amazed any woman would find him attractive - he bores me to death !

GillT57 Fri 25-Jun-21 10:01:09

the elephant in the room is Johnson's own lack of morality. The only people I feel sorry for are his wife and children.

theworriedwell Fri 25-Jun-21 10:03:32

Framilode

I agree with the other posters that say he has been set up. It's a way of getting rid of him. However that doesn't excuse him.

I do hope he kept to the social distancing rules when shagging.

Set up? Do you think she assaulted him and placed his hand on her bum? Why would she set him up.

theworriedwell Fri 25-Jun-21 10:05:46

GillT57

the elephant in the room is Johnson's own lack of morality. The only people I feel sorry for are his wife and children.

I feel sorry for her husband and children as well. Imagine as an attractive, rich, successful man finding out your wife had been cheating with Matt Hancock.