Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Grandchildren Bubble sent home

(67 Posts)
Susiewest Mon 28-Jun-21 21:32:17

My grandchildren have all been sent home today, leaving parents with dilemma. Wondering if fully vaccinated grandparents are helping out with children off school, so that parents can work. Children don’t have any symptoms. Thanks.

Whatdayisit Mon 28-Jun-21 21:36:37

I say help.

Hithere Mon 28-Jun-21 21:50:48

Are parents working from home?

It is hard to take care if kids while working from home but it can be done

Hithere Mon 28-Jun-21 21:51:04

Take care of, not if

cornishpatsy Mon 28-Jun-21 22:25:46

Vaccinated grandparents are as safe as they will ever be and there will always be unvaccinated children that could or will have Covid. I think we just have to live with it now.

MerylStreep Mon 28-Jun-21 22:36:33

What’s the problem. You’ve been vaccinated and your family need help ?
I’ve been helping for the past 15 months. Family come first in my world.

Galaxy Mon 28-Jun-21 22:37:36

I think it's because they have been sent home to isolate.

love0c Tue 29-Jun-21 00:10:14

MerylStreep Exactly. My friend is looking after one of her grandchildren again full time as he has been sent home for 10 days. Someone in their bubble has tested positive. It is ridiculous. The other two siblings can still attend school and both parents can go to work. This is following the official advice. This has been discussed on TV this evening. Thousands of healthy children are missing school each week due to this.

growstuff Tue 29-Jun-21 04:00:02

Yes, a quarter of million children were at home self-isolating last week. What do you suggest? Should there be no attempt to reduce infection?

This is why it is so important that community transmission is brought right down and why there must be an investment in good classroom ventilation and masks should continue to be worn.

Most of the north west and north east now has incidence rates of over 1 in 500 and nearly all of the rest of the country (including the south west) has an incidence rate of over 1 in 1000. Some areas are as high as 1 in 200. In a secondary school of 2,000 pupils, that could mean that there are 10 infected pupils every day. The Delta variant is highly transmissible and could mean that one infection could seed dozens of others. There is almost no mitigation in schools. It's no wonder that 25% of all new infections are in secondary age children. Even if they don't have severe symptoms, some of them will suffer Long Covid, possibly for many months. Not only that, but there are vulnerable staff working in schools and it's now known that some of them could be infected, even if they are vaccinated.

Giving the virus a good talking to and explaining that education is important won't work. Thousands of healthy children could end up with a very nasty long-term symptoms.

love0c Tue 29-Jun-21 08:18:32

Grow stuff Your last sentence betrays your irrational fear. You can not live your life on 'could, may, possibly'.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 29-Jun-21 08:21:52

Like MerylStreep we have had GC throughout.

I would look after GC.

As from September children will no longer be sent home to isolate if one of their school bubble tests positive (source Gavin Williamson)

Ellianne Tue 29-Jun-21 08:28:46

I am double jabbed as are all my friends at my groups. Meeting up is no issue. I have also had 3 lots of visitors from London stay with us, all doubled jabbed. I feel comfortable with this.
My adult children are currently single jabbed, my school age GC are too young and will probably never be jabbed. Looking after them is the most dangerous thing I do in my daily life, but it is also the most important.
Do your own risk assessment, then get on with life. You won't get this time back again.

eazybee Tue 29-Jun-21 09:26:36

This is a nightmare, the effect covid is having on children's education and well-being, although the measures are in place to protect their health. I don't know the answer.

Far more important than concerns about enabling attendance at stupid football matches and taking foreign holidays, which dominates the news.

growstuff Tue 29-Jun-21 13:34:20

love0c

Grow stuff Your last sentence betrays your irrational fear. You can not live your life on 'could, may, possibly'.

Irrational fear? I don't think so. There's nothing irrational about a very real condition. Get real!

growstuff Tue 29-Jun-21 13:35:29

eazybee

This is a nightmare, the effect covid is having on children's education and well-being, although the measures are in place to protect their health. I don't know the answer.

Far more important than concerns about enabling attendance at stupid football matches and taking foreign holidays, which dominates the news.

The government could start by ensuring that schools are adequately ventilated and not stopping mask wearing.

growstuff Tue 29-Jun-21 13:37:00

GrannyGravy13

Like MerylStreep we have had GC throughout.

I would look after GC.

As from September children will no longer be sent home to isolate if one of their school bubble tests positive (source Gavin Williamson)

That is a recipe for disaster! Williamson is ignoring scientists for political gain.

growstuff Tue 29-Jun-21 13:38:23

love0c

Actually, sensible people are aware of risks and do live their lives on a "could, may, possibly" basis.

Mollygo Tue 29-Jun-21 13:53:13

It’s difficult. If the vaccine works, then the children could stay in school and infect each other. That’s the herd immunity people are after.
Their teachers and TAs, their parents, grandparents etc. have been offered the vaccine so they should have protection from the worst effects.
This week at school where I am governor:
Child A was sent home to isolate as part of a bubble. No symptoms on first day (LF test) so parents booked a visit to Harry Potter World. (Very well arranged Re-Covid) No symptoms on arrival, but during visit complained of feeling hot and on arrival home tested positive. Fingers crossed there’s no harm done. Child could have stayed in school and shared it round.

Spidergran3 Tue 29-Jun-21 14:11:24

Mollygo

It’s difficult. If the vaccine works, then the children could stay in school and infect each other. That’s the herd immunity people are after.
Their teachers and TAs, their parents, grandparents etc. have been offered the vaccine so they should have protection from the worst effects.
Child A was sent home to isolate as part of a bubble. No symptoms on first day (LF test) so parents booked a visit to Harry Potter World. (Very well arranged Re-Covid) No symptoms on arrival, but during visit complained of feeling hot and on arrival home tested positive. Fingers crossed there’s no harm done. Child could have stayed in school and shared it round.

And this kind of thing is why we are NEVER going to be free of the virus. Unbelievable.

Hithere Tue 29-Jun-21 16:27:37

Sure! My kid is in quarantine so let's take a vacation!

How irresponsible can people be?

Mollygo Tue 29-Jun-21 16:30:20

Yes, why not stop all this isolating whole bubbles and send her into school until she shows symptoms.

Kali2 Tue 29-Jun-21 16:32:20

Mollygo

Unbelievably selfish and irresponsible - they should be reported!!! The child was sent home to isolate, and not to go galivanting.

What did the Governors do?

MerylStreep Tue 29-Jun-21 16:38:54

Spidergran
This might come as a shock to you but the are a lot of eminent scientists who know that we are never going to be free of the virus.
Maybe you should get used to the idea.

Mollygo Tue 29-Jun-21 17:06:11

Governors or even heads can do very little. The child was not in school. It was the parent’s decision and of course the child will not be allowed into school until she is clear. The parents will have been contacted by the head.
But if they hadn’t isolated the whole class because another child tested positive, she would have been in school sharing the virus with other children and staff.
The current concern is about children missing so much school because of class isolations.
Do gransnetters think whole class /bubble isolation should continue or should only the affected child be kept at home?
What if the staff are affected? Should they get supply teachers in to teach potentially infected children?

growstuff Wed 30-Jun-21 04:35:32

MerylStreep

Spidergran
This might come as a shock to you but the are a lot of eminent scientists who know that we are never going to be free of the virus.
Maybe you should get used to the idea.

Maybe the UK should vaccinate children (at least those of secondary age). Over five million American children have been vaccinated, so there is enough data to know whether it's effective and safe.

It's clear that the government is aiming for population (herd) immunity, but rather than offering children the relatively safe route via vaccination, they want them to be infected and develop natural immunity. There are at least two children from my local school who are currently seriously ill with Covid and a number of others who are still ill after a number of weeks. Covid causes brain damage and nobody knows whether it's long term or even permanent.

How would those people who think schools should just "learn to live with it" feel if one of their grandchildren were to be seriously affected and they didn't call for mitigation in schools and/or the vaccination of children?